HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 4:48 PM
Chris

Impressive to a project of this scale in this area.

Apartments and Homes Moving Forward on the Edge of Port Richmond
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-port-richmond

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post

I was walking in Chinatown the other night and noticed the two builds burnt down was turned into parking lots. Is this going to be developed or is Chinatown going to sit on it again.
What an eyesore. Chinatown and the surrounding area has some of the worst surface lots in all of center city. I will never be convinced that a 76ers arena isn't exactly what Market East and Chinatown needs. Look at all of these surface parking lots nearby. Surely there's some small ones I missed as well. Market East needs that arena.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 5:05 PM
Chris

^ Is there a database or archive that has info & pictures on what occupied all those surface lots in the past? I'm sure some handsome buildings were demolished for all that.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 10:53 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
^ Is there a database or archive that has info & pictures on what occupied all those surface lots in the past? I'm sure some handsome buildings were demolished for all that.
I always think of this same thing all the time, and sadly I think we only have the historical archives viewer and any pictures kept from back in the day in records.

I would happily make an interactive map showing past photos of demolished structures that are currently lots or parking lots across the whole city if enough Photos, and data is found to back it up.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 12:06 AM

Quote:
This project didn't turn out that well, and quite different than the renders.

I also see efflorescence on the left side of the building, hopefully it won't be an issue.
Perfect building for a bunch of window flower boxes. It’d change the entire look into a stunner.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
What an eyesore. Chinatown and the surrounding area has some of the worst surface lots in all of center city. I will never be convinced that a 76ers arena isn't exactly what Market East and Chinatown needs. Look at all of these surface parking lots nearby. Surely there's some small ones I missed as well. Market East needs that arena.
Wait, you think that the arena will result in these parking lots being developed? No way. I think the arena will do a lot of good but, despite its great, transit-friendly location, it's still going to attract a ton of cars. Ever been to Chinatown/Convention Center area during the Flower Show? All those parking lots fill up and it will be the same when the Sixers move in. I'm certain that the arena will only further entrench many of these lots. It's not to say that no development will occur but it's going to be more along Market Street and less within Chinatown.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Wait, you think that the arena will result in these parking lots being developed? No way. I think the arena will do a lot of good but, despite its great, transit-friendly location, it's still going to attract a ton of cars. Ever been to Chinatown/Convention Center area during the Flower Show? All those parking lots fill up and it will be the same when the Sixers move in. I'm certain that the arena will only further entrench many of these lots. It's not to say that no development will occur but it's going to be more along Market Street and less within Chinatown.
I agree. A large increase in parking pressure will lead to higher parking prices and more reason to stay in the parking business.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 12:32 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I always think of this same thing all the time, and sadly I think we only have the historical archives viewer and any pictures kept from back in the day in records.

I would happily make an interactive map showing past photos of demolished structures that are currently lots or parking lots across the whole city if enough Photos, and data is found to back it up.
Darn. That would be a cool concept, you could make an app out of it .

But the old photos I see always amaze me at how much architectural beauty was demolished for parking garages and parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Perfect building for a bunch of window flower boxes. It’d change the entire look into a stunner.
That would help. And I hope the decorative lights and landscaping (in the renderings) are included. It will definitely make the building less mundane.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 12:58 PM
Chris

This is great. The kind of investment that communities need - Lucrative job training skills for city youth.

Hopeworks expands to Philadelphia, opening office in Kensington after $600,000 investment
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...reenlight.html

Hopeworks, which trains young people from underrepresented groups for tech jobs, is expanding to Philadelphia with a $600,000 investment from the Boston-based GreenLight Fund.

The Camden nonprofit will use the funding from Greenlight to tap into Philadelphia's growing tech scene.

Hopeworks prepares young people ages 16 to 27 for careers in tech, brings them onto the Hopeworks' web design team, then helps them secure a job through various partnerships with companies like Comcast, Dell, JPMorgan Chase, the NBA Foundation and American Water. It trains over 100 kids annually from Camden, helping them secure entry level jobs with an average salary of more than $43,000 per year.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Every game ticket doubles as a septa/patco pass. Problem solved.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:23 PM
Chris

Rhynhart for Mayor anyone?

Philly City Controller Rebecca Rhynhart plans to resign today and launch a run for mayor

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/el...-20221025.html

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:34 PM

^ My impression is that she wants to be mayor to get shit done, rather than someone who wants to be mayor to be mayor.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
^ My impression is that she wants to be mayor to get shit done, rather than someone who wants to be mayor to be mayor.
Seems to have no issue calling out inefficiencies as evidenced by the latest report on the PPD. Now give some her power to enact change and baby, you got a stew going on! (arrested development reference)

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:41 PM

Rhynhart’s report was both good policy and good politics for the Dem primary. Good governance centrists will be happy she’s looking at inefficiencies and the left wing of the party will be happy she’s not afraid to go after the police.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtphilly View Post
Rhynhart’s report was both good policy and good politics for the Dem primary. Good governance centrists will be happy she’s looking at inefficiencies and the left wing of the party will be happy she’s not afraid to go after the police.
She was hired by Nutter, I think that is a good sign and I think her philosophy aligns with his in many ways.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:28 PM

Quote:

Philly City Controller Rebecca Rhynhart plans to resign today and launch a run for mayor

The mayor we desperately need, but most likely the mayor we won't get.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Every game ticket doubles as a septa/patco pass. Problem solved.
Hope SEPTA started on that new ticketing system 15 years ago, might be ready for when the stadium opens!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
The mayor we desperately need, but most likely the mayor we won't get.
Philly desperately needs a ranked voting system. There's so many candidates running for the Dem primary which will ultimately produce the next mayor. Someone will win with probably 25% of the votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Hope SEPTA started on that new ticketing system 15 years ago, might be ready for when the stadium opens!
I have no hope for Septa. I get they are underfunded but they are just so inept and insist and re-inventing the wheel when existing technology works well elsewhere. The beta testers for the tap to pay system say the QR code is cumbersome and slow. Why not just use what NYC, SF, Chicago etc. already use? Why did they have to develop their own Septa Key app? Their own slow/confusing kiosks? Their own turnstiles? It's like they are trying to waste money and produce a poor product.

https://www.inquirer.com/transportat...-20221024.html

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:39 PM

Quote:

She’s my pick. 100%. She’s what Philly needs.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
After multiple delays the penns landing cap project has finally bid and due date is 12/8/22- although Im sure it will get postponed multiple times. Scheduled completion isnt until 2030- we we have a long ways to go!
This is absolutely CRAZY

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development