HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 3:23 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Wow! It's almost like there really isn't a place for townhomes on Market Street (right next to a subway stop) anymore!
Yea, lol.
The U City townhome situation is a mess (unnecessary mess), but ultimately the land will be sold and redeveloped, as it should.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 3:24 PM

The Corner of 17th & Fairmount Has Two Updates on Tap

Fairmount Tavern to occupy this building:

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...updates-on-tap

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 3:25 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
Penn just announced a new theatre on campus:

https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/new...erforming-arts

I wonder if it's the same as this one, which was supposed to be on 33rd and Chestnut:

https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/pen...ng-arts-center
More details from today.

Penn to build new Stuart Weitzman performing arts center in the heart of campus

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

The 3,100-square-foot project will be at the center of the school's West Philadelphia campus and adjacent to the exiting Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts at 3680 Walnut St. A projected opening date is scheduled for fall 2025, said Penn Live Arts Executive and Artistic Christopher Gruits.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I kind of expected this morning to be packed, however: today marks the day that Comcast workers are supposed to return to the office.
The Comcast Starbucks is my go-to location on days I work from the office. It is generally deserted; this morning, you could not move inside. They're definitely back.

Although I also read somewhere that, at least for the time being, Comcast doesn't intend to harshly enforce their new hybrid schedule. Curious to see whether in-person attendance by their employees is sustained after the initial peak.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 4:32 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
The Comcast Starbucks is my go-to location on days I work from the office. It is generally deserted; this morning, you could not move inside. They're definitely back.

Although I also read somewhere that, at least for the time being, Comcast doesn't intend to harshly enforce their new hybrid schedule. Curious to see whether in-person attendance by their employees is sustained after the initial peak.
Why not Vernick Coffee Bar?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post

Guessing they’re grandfathering it in and maybe some departments are needed back in the office more than others.

But glad to hear they seem it be back! Must mean it’s being at least partially enforced.

Last edited by skyhigh07; Sep 13, 2022 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 8:19 PM

Commercial Buildings Out, 84 Units in for Roxborough Project

Buildings on the right to go:

This building will get demo'd as well:

Project renderings:

Quote:
The area near 6174 Ridge Ave. in Roxborough is one of our favorite stretches, where low-rise historic structures line the street, offering a wonderful pedestrian experience. The tree-lined streets and small-scaled storefronts make for a pleasant stroll, though this block is about to undergo a major transformation if plans posted by the Central Roxborough Civic Association (CRCA) come to fruition. With a trip to Civic Design Review next month prompting this meeting, we know that a shake-up is coming just north of the Roxborough Pocket Park.

The buildings at this address are currently bustling, but they will soon get torn down. Sesame Ridge Apartments, an 84-unit project with parking for 25 cars and 32 bicycles designed Ingram/Sageser Architects, is slated to cover most of this block, save for the building on north corner on the property (currently home to Ban Bamboo, which will continue to sling Thai and Laotian food moving forward). The new project will also include 7K sqft of ground floor commercial space, though the size has been scaled back from previous iterations due to a zoning overlay that limits the total commercial space permitted.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...orough-project

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 8:24 PM

6-Story, 55-Unit Building Planned in Fishtown

Project elevations:

Site of project - empty lot and 1-story garage next door:

Quote:
Just a couple of months ago, the parcel at 1713-21 North Front Street sold for $3.2 million. The property incudes a vacant lot that is notorious for a couple of jet skis that have been sitting in it for years as well as a garage to the north of the lot. When the transaction happened, we knew that the more than 10,000 square feet of land with CMX-3 zoning would present the buyer with the opportunity to build a sizable mixed-use project.

Well, we now have more information about their plans in anticipation of the project team’s meeting with the Fishtown Neighbors Association (FNA) before they present the project to the Civic Design Review (CDR).

The buyers are planning a 6-story building with 55 residential units, 2,557 square feet of commercial space, 10 automobile parking spots, 20 bicycle stalls, and a roof deck. The commercial space will be located on the south side of the building. A curb cut will provide access to the parking garage on the north side of the property along Front Street.
Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/6-story...d-in-fishtown/

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 8:32 PM

Site Prep Underway At 1148-62 Frankford Avenue

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/09/site...-fishtown.html

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 8:42 PM

Philadelphia Art Commission presentation PDF for the "Calder Gardens" Museum

PDF:
https://www.phila.gov/media/20220909...on-concept.pdf

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 8:42 PM

Philadelphia Art Commission presentation PDF for the "Park at Penn's Landing

PDF:
https://www.phila.gov/media/20220909...sion-final.pdf

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 8:43 PM

Philadelphia Art Commission presentation PDF for the Cobbs Creek Golf Course

PDF:
https://www.phila.gov/media/20220909...sion-final.pdf

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
This is purely anecdotal but I was walking home along Walnut/Chestnut in Rittenhouse last night around 9pm and I took notice of what appeared to be more groups of office workers walking around. Yesterday was the first day Comcast required a partial return to the office - wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a nice uptick in the next report.
Another thing to note on this topic, while center city doesn't seem quite as bustling as prepandemic, neighborhoods all across the city are bonkers with people and neighborhood businesses seem to be thriving. And even as center city has gotten progressively better in this regard over the past year or so, there hasn't been a corresponding drop off outside of center city.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, considering we're a city that has historically had difficulties attracting employers but has become a great place to reside, if office workers are no longer spending all their time in the office, this is not necessarily a bad thing. But we really need to take advantage of this new reality. Zoning really needs to be fixed so that each neighborhood can densify along its main corridors and transit lines.

I'd gladly trade a fully realized super posh walnut street for 25 thriving passyunk Aves. And that's not to say walnut street can't be great either, I'm just saying, it's not the worse thing that people are spending more time and money in their own hoods.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 11:14 PM

That Roxborough project looks...tough.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
That Roxborough project looks...tough.
elaborate

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 3:23 AM
Show me the blueprints

"Eww" was my first impression.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
elaborate
Looks like love child of public housing and a St Joe’s dorm.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Commercial Buildings Out, 84 Units in for Roxborough Project

Buildings on the right to go:

This building will get demo'd as well:

Project renderings:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...orough-project
This is unacceptably fugly. Roxborough is my neighborhood and, while I love to see Ridge Avenue densify as the area is increasingly "discovered", I've been disappointed with many of the projects in/that have come out of the development pipeline. Just when I thought the new building to the north of Ridge and Parker would take the crown as the fugliest building in the neighborhood, this comes along. This shit looks like it belongs in Royersford, not Roxborough. The worst thing about this project is that it will rise along the commercial heart of Roxborough (between Lyceum and Leverington). Also, why does every new apartment building along Ridge have to have those ugly ass exterior A/C vents? IMO, those are even uglier than external power meters.

It seems like developers in all other Northwestern neighborhoods are building structures of a much higher quality than those rising in Roxborough. East Falls, Chestnut Hill (of course), Mount Airy, and even Germantown and Manayunk have better planned and under construction projects than Roxborough.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 1:06 PM

Re the Roxborough project, can someone explain this to me?

Quote:
The new project will also include 7K sqft of ground floor commercial space, though the size has been scaled back from previous iterations due to a zoning overlay that limits the total commercial space permitted.
Seems bizarre that zoning regs would limit commercial space in the heart of Roxborough's Ridge Ave commercial district.

Overall, it's not that bad of a project, minus the displacement of local businesses. I hope local businesses can still afford spaces in the new building. Oftentimes, the retail spaces in these types of projects end up getting filled by national chains.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
This is unacceptably fugly. Roxborough is my neighborhood and, while I love to see Ridge Avenue densify as the area is increasingly "discovered", I've been disappointed with many of the projects in/that have come out of the development pipeline. Just when I thought the new building to the north of Ridge and Parker would take the crown as the fugliest building in the neighborhood, this comes along. This shit looks like it belongs in Royersford, not Roxborough. The worst thing about this project is that it will rise along the commercial heart of Roxborough (between Lyceum and Leverington). Also, why does every new apartment building along Ridge have to have those ugly ass exterior A/C vents? IMO, those are even uglier than external power meters.

It seems like developers in all other Northwestern neighborhoods are building structures of a much higher quality than those rising in Roxborough. East Falls, Chestnut Hill (of course), Mount Airy, and even Germantown and Manayunk have better planned and under construction projects than Roxborough.
This is the same architect as 6515 Ridge. INGRAM/SAGESER out of... rural NJ. Same awful design language. Guessing this is a friend of the developer?

Philadelphia has several very good local firms. This should not happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development