HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld View Post
Phase 1 of public outreach for Reimagining the Ben Franklin Parkway is underway. Theres some info and a survey in the link. Sounds like there’s also some surveying going on at the parkway. To me, the parkway is incredibly beautiful and has great bones but there is a lot of room for improvement. I can’t wait to see how it turns out but we’re likely a decade from a finished project

https://www.phlparkway.com/
Took the survey. I encourage people to mention using the City Branch as rail transit.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 2:17 PM

N.J. accuses big builder of Philly rowhouses of $630 million fraud
Quote:
The company and its affiliates built over 1,100 rowhouses in Philly and planned major developments on the city’s waterfront, as well as in northern New Jersey, New York City, and Palm Beach, Fla. In a national advertising blitz, it promised investors big-bucks returns of 12% — perhaps better than 20%.

But on Tuesday, New Jersey issued a “cease and desist” order against the Secaucus-based National Realty Investment Advisors alleging they “fraudulently” sold $630 million worth of securities in the last four years to “at least” 1,800 investors nationwide.

The state Bureau of Securities found that rather than relying on cash-flow proceeds, company officers used investors’ money to pay off other investors and diverted “millions of investor dollars to make lavish payments to family members,” the state Attorney General’s Office said.
https://www.inquirer.com/news/new-je...-20220622.html

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Took the survey. I encourage people to mention using the City Branch as rail transit.
Mentioned. With the new building at 2100 Hamilton and the police station renovations at the Inquirer building, is the city branch tunnel still intact from Broad and Callowhill to 31st and Girard?

It's baffling that Septa is working on a KOP line when there is literally a tunnel already dug for a new transit line that links Brewerytown, Fairmount and the parkway with the Broad Street Line / Center city.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Mentioned. With the new building at 2100 Hamilton and the police station renovations at the Inquirer building, is the city branch tunnel still intact from Broad and Callowhill to 31st and Girard?

It's baffling that Septa is working on a KOP line when there is literally a tunnel already dug for a new transit line that links Brewerytown, Fairmount and the parkway with the Broad Street Line / Center city.
2100 Hamilton was built to sort-of allow for future transit, but not without some work.

Inky building couldn't legally foul our ROW, so the renovations are still in the clear IIRC. It's that pesky parking garage to the west (likely built without asking our permission) that causes some trouble.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 2:28 PM

Quote:
N.J. accuses big builder of Philly rowhouses of $630 million fraud
Interesting. These are the guys who built the somewhat strange townhouses that face right up against Columbus Ave. north of Washington Ave. The article mentions that they own a “large swath of undeveloped riverfront property”. Anyone know which spot it’s referring to?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 3:13 PM

Is there an existing plan for the city branch? I know of the rail park plans. Imo there’s a lot of low hanging fruit all along the parkway with absolutely transformative potential

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 3:34 PM

Does anybody know what is planned for 18th & Washington, if anything?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 3:53 PM

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 3:59 PM

“We are pleased that the Court stopped the development of a new apartment building at the Painted Bride site that substantially exceeded multiple local zoning requirements,” said the attorneys, who represent entities with ownership interests in the Chocolate Works apartment building down the block from the Painted Bride site.

Oh, huh, interesting that.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 4:00 PM

Bizarre and frustrating. This is such a beautiful project that saves everything good about The Painted Bride.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Cook’s law partner, Vern Anastasio, said efforts to tie the construction of apartments to the preservation of the mosaic “was a hostage situation,” where the Painted Bride mural was the hostage and the ransom “was a monster tower.”

Cary L. Rice and John S. Summers, attorneys at Hangley Aronchick Segal Pudlin & Schiller who initiated the appeal of the zoning board decision, said in a statement there was “no legal basis” for the apartment building as planned, “and we thank the Court for preserving the unique and historic character of Old City.”
In what way is this a "monster tower" when there is a taller building on the corner immediately west of this site???

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
Bizarre and frustrating. This is such a beautiful project that saves everything good about The Painted Bride.
That stinks. Old City feels much passed over these days. While there are some solid developments going on (particularly on the north end), there's no way 3rd st (for example) immediately north and south of market should still look the way it does given the transformation of the city over the past 15 years.

I read an article maybe 10 years ago about absentee owners of lots in Old City, coupled with the NIMBYs I'm sure are the main reasons places like PassAve and Frankford leapfrogged. Shame because it had such a head start. Will always love it, just needs a little more TLC

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
That stinks. Old City feels much passed over these days. While there are some solid developments going on (particularly on the north end), there's no way 3rd st (for example) immediately north and south of market should still look the way it does given the transformation of the city over the past 15 years.

I read an article maybe 10 years ago about absentee owners of lots in Old City, coupled with the NIMBYs I'm sure are the main reasons places like PassAve and Frankford leapfrogged. Shame because it had such a head start. Will always love it, just needs a little more TLC
TBF I think 3rd north of Market looks quite nice. Agreed that those parking lots on 3rd south of Market are horrendous.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
TBF I think 3rd north of Market looks quite nice. Agreed that those parking lots on 3rd south of Market are horrendous.

Should have specified the block between Church and market

but yes around arch and northward it is nice.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 5:32 PM

Quote:
I wish I saw your comment before taking the survey but I did at least mention rail transit.
Also kinda concerning how much parking came up during the survey and not to much mention about the road diets

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
I wish I saw your comment before taking the survey but I did at least mention rail transit.
Also kinda concerning how much parking came up during the survey and not to much mention about the road diets
That was another comment I made. In the section asking what I'd like to see I just said "less roads"

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld View Post
Phase 1 of public outreach for Reimagining the Ben Franklin Parkway is underway. Theres some info and a survey in the link. Sounds like there’s also some surveying going on at the parkway. To me, the parkway is incredibly beautiful and has great bones but there is a lot of room for improvement. I can’t wait to see how it turns out but we’re likely a decade from a finished project

https://www.phlparkway.com/
With everything planned for 2026 I'd hope they could make some good changes leading up to the summer of '26; then finalize after. Viewing parties on the parkway will be awesome.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 7:21 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
But it's a whole 20' taller than what is allowed! That is a "monster tower"... O NIBMYS and their lawyers

If only the NIMBY neighbors used their money for good, like planting trees or starting a street cleanup fund.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 7:41 PM
PHL

Quote:
That was another comment I made. In the section asking what I'd like to see I just said "less roads"
Word. Existing setup is 8 or 10 lanes I think lol depending on your opinion about the outermost bit, which has a row for parking. For this purpose I count it as a lane. It's so stupid. I suggested making it maximum 2 lanes going each direction for cars (still plenty wide for future Super Bowl parades), with another 1 lanes each direction of exclusive bus or ideally light rail (either one with stations or stops at City Hall, Logan Square, and the Art Museum at least), with the outermost lanes being closed to cars and turned into designated protected bike and walking paths. I also suggested new small shops and eats and such along the path. This could drum up all kinds of interest in the many existing world class attractions along the parkway. As it stands, it's a thoroughfare. This is why 676 exists. Since we're definitely going to be stuck with 676, we should de-highway our streets. I also did mention the City Branch being a prime opportunity for transit development. Anyway, the parkway is already a nice walk yeah. But surrounded by speeding cars is not really the best way such a beautiful stretch of our city should be enjoyed. I would go there way more often if I could take the MFL to City Hall, hop on a light rail or something to the shops and restaurants along the Parkway, and have a date night. As it stands now it's just out of the way and if I'm not going to a museum, a concert, or a jog, there just isn't much to do. I still love the area but we have one heck of a canvas just sitting there. I'm glad they're really taking a good look at it. Thanks for posting the survey helloworld!

Last edited by gjrip; Jun 23, 2022 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Interesting. These are the guys who built the somewhat strange townhouses that face right up against Columbus Ave. north of Washington Ave. The article mentions that they own a “large swath of undeveloped riverfront property”. Anyone know which spot it’s referring to?
The LLC that owns 1401 S Columbus Blvd is registered to an address in Secaucus and googling that address brings up NRIA so that would be my guess. This is the plot behind the new anti-pedestrian Giant on Columbus between Reed and Tasker. There actually isn't much undeveloped riverfront property left on the Delaware (a lot of it is under developed though)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development