HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Spiral in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 5:22 PM

Between this optimism plus the comments made a few days back about a "record number" of confidentially agreements for this tower, not only does it seem like there is huge appetite, it seems that "height sells" Very nice.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 6:12 PM

1,800 feet would be nice

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
1,800 feet would be nice
Over 2,100 ft. with spire.

My guess is that some Middle Eastern or East Asian entity buys this, with a local partner, and builds something extremely tall and landmark-worthy, and probably not that radically different from the Massey Knackal renderings.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 8:11 PM

The Empire State Building is completely dwarfed by the Hudson Spire in the teaser rendering. Wow.

I was highly skeptical of the Hudson Yards development since I wrongly feared the final product would resemble designs more commonly found in Dubai than New York. Not that there is anything wrong with Dubai; their designs work for that city.

My favorite parts of the city are neighborhoods where the street wall is interrupted and consists of mainly brick and stone buildings that have well defined ground floors, creating a pedestrian paradise but don't give a damn about accommodating cars.

After seeing more detailed renderings on the base of some of these towers, I can't believe how wrong I was. Hudson Yards will be an excellent addition to New York and we lose basically nothing in return.

It will be very exciting watching these ones rise. I can hardly keep track of all the developments happening in the Hudson yards and the surrounding area.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 20, 2014 at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 8:59 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^ And to think it was not that long ago that the ESB owner made a big fuss about how the ESB should be the tallest in Midtown.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 5:41 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Over 2,100 ft. with spire.

My guess is that some Middle Eastern or East Asian entity buys this, with a local partner, and builds something extremely tall and landmark-worthy, and probably not that radically different from the Massey Knackal renderings.

I'm thinking that also. American developers aren't too interested in developing a "tallest", but the opportunity to build the city's tallest, without any drawn out approvals process makes this one attractive around the world, where super and mega tall towers are very much on the minds of developers who want to make a mark. It's very hard to make such a statement in New York, but here's one that says "hey, over here!"

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 5:25 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.rew-online.com/2014/01/22...lad-note-sale/

Tallest tower site expected to fetch $200M+

January 22, 2014

Quote:
Massey Knakal is marketing a major Hudson Yards development site that could hold the city’s tallest tower.

The Hudson Boulevard facing site at 435 Tenth Avenue, running block-through from 501-507 West 34th Street to 510-528 West 35th Street, is expected to fetch in excess of $200 million....

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 11:39 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Could this be a potential developer?

Int'l Developers Seek Anything
Friday, January 24, 2014, by Zoe Rosenberg

Quote:
MANHATTAN, ANYWHERE—Brokerage firm Nestseekers has sent out a plea on behalf of a client looking to buy ...anything:

Quote:
Hello,
We represent a private Chinese corporation that will arrange 700 million USD to purchase a development land parcel to construct a mixed use or a residential building (must be 100,000+ buildable sq ft) in NYC (Manhattan only), San Francisco or Los Angeles.

Besides, there is an interest in acquisition of an iconic building in Manhattan...
With Chinese firms buying stake in Atlantic Yards, Chase Manhattan Plaza, and Midtown's General Motors building to name a few, what will be next?

More info on the Chinese-- they're confident for sure:

By the numbers: Counting Chinese cash
Investors from China poured $2.5 billion into NYC in 2013, more than any other group
January 24, 2014 04:30PM
By Jill Noonan and Eileen AJ Connelly

Zhang Xin and Wang Jianlin

Quote:
It’s not headline news that Chinese investors are parking their cash in New York City real estate, but the magnitudes of those investments is. In 2013, investors from China for the first time poured more money into bricks and mortar in New York City than their counterparts from any other country in the world.

[more]

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Jan 24, 2014 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 1:10 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

^ with the flight to safety in EM markets expect this to comtinue...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 5:04 AM

no they arent about it ^

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 2:42 AM
New Yorker for life

It looks likely that a foreign investor would be most interested in this site. Of course, Related would feel that this is their "turf", but they've got enough on their plate as it is.

http://bronxrealreport.com/2014/01/2...lest-building/

THE HUDSON SPIRE: New York’s Next Tallest Building?

January 24, 2014

Quote:
That’s right, One World Trade Center is old news, and it’s not even finished! In the not too distant future the gleaming new tower could have competition in its own backyard – Hudson Yards, that is – as Massey Knakal is exclusively marketing the sale of a development site that it believes could spawn what the firm has dubbed “The Hudson Spire,” an 1,800-foot-tall super-skyscraper....

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 4:33 AM

I for one would love to see this built! New York City is a great source of pride not just for New Yorkers, but for all Americans. It would be awesome to see it "propelled" into the "global discussion among the supertalls!"

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 10:19 PM

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 10:56 PM
New Yorker for life

That parking lot will be missed. Too many Manhattan parking lots are closing and getting redeveloped. Too much change too fast in Manhattan. Where will people go to park not that the lots are closing?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 2:45 AM

^ Mass transit. 7 Subway extension is almost complete.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 4:15 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Uh-oh, I think NYguy's account got 'hacked'.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 9:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Uh-oh, I think NYguy's account got 'hacked'.
LOL, no. Just a little light sarcasm. Somebody was going to say it, just wanted to get it out of the way.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyguy View Post
that parking lot will be missed. Too many manhattan parking lots are closing and getting redeveloped. Too much change too fast in manhattan. Where will people go to park not that the lots are closing?
but what about the children!!!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 9:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
but what about the children!!!
You mean the children in Jersey, who will be in the darkness the shadows from this building will cast across the Hudson?! Just wait.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
You mean the children in Jersey, who will be in the darkness the shadows from this building will cast across the Hudson?! Just wait.
You greedy 1%er!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive