HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Pandemics come and go. The 1918 Influenza outbreak didn't change things. 9/11 didn't change things. Cities generally, let alone super cities like NY, Lon., etc., aren't going anywhere and will continue to thrive.
'Pandemics come and go...'

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 4:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
the more it gets cladded, the more i am liking the crown.
It seems like they have slowed though. I need that spire back asap. Then the entire crown can be lit in it's full glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
I'm going with it being more ironic than iconic, due to how probably the pandemic is going to affect the future of office space for sometime.
Not so much as people think. There are still such issues as lease expirations to deal with. But in the long scheme of things, this will be remembered as a time when things perhaps did slow down (like we remember the fallout from 9/11, Hurricane Sandy, the financial crises, etc.). Eternal cities like New York go on, because they have to. Even the South Bronx had to be rebuilt. When the spire is in place, and the crown is lit, this tower will be the symbol of that rebirth and the future of this great skyline and city, similar to the way the Empire State Building became that great symbol after 9/11, one of the cities darker times.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCXwmlOFDm4/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCYtCPRMG5T/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 8, 2020 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It seems like they have slowed though. I need that spire back asap. Then the entire crown can be lit in it's full glory.

Not so much as people think. There are still such issues as lease expirations to deal with. But in the long scheme of things, this will be remembered as a time when things perhaps did slow down (like we remember the fallout from 9/11, Hurricane Sandy, the financial crises, etc.). Eternal cities like New York go on, because they have to. Even the South Bronx had to be rebuilt. When the spire is in place, and the crown is lit, this tower will be the symbol of that rebirth and the future of this great skyline and city, similar to the way the Empire State Building became that great symbol after 9/11, one of the cities darker times.

I think your projecting really what you feel here. I don't think many folks give that much of a damn about this building outside skyscraper enthusiasts.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 7:40 PM
BANNED

I love that photo in Post 4442 of the Financial Capital of the World!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 9:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I think your projecting really what you feel here. I don't think many folks give that much of a damn about this building outside skyscraper enthusiasts.
Not a "projection" my friend. I lived through 9/11, among other things. I know how people really feel about the symbols on the skyline, and what the symbolism of a shining Empire State Building meant to many people at that time. It's that same meaning that led to the World Trade Center being rebuilt in the first place. People insisted that the skyline be restored, and not with just a bunch of squat, 50-story buildings. People do take pride in the skyline of the city, even if they don't talk about it every day like skyscraper enthusiasts.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCY2_vFhQv6/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
This is not a polling site Skyhigher. I love this building I could not care less what "folks"/the public think about it.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 3:19 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Not a "projection" my friend. I lived through 9/11, among other things. I know how people really feel about the symbols on the skyline, and what the symbolism of a shining Empire State Building meant to many people at that time. It's that same meaning that led to the World Trade Center being rebuilt in the first place. People insisted that the skyline be restored, and not with just a bunch of squat, 50-story buildings. People do take pride in the skyline of the city, even if they don't talk about it every day like skyscraper enthusiasts.

Comparing 1V to those two symbols of New York makes little sense. 1WTC doesn't fully restore the skyline. It's patch work at best. You can't 'restore' two iconic titans unless you rebuild something similar to them. We don't know how, if at all symbolic this new building will be especially as the area is soon to get taller buildings nearby

Last edited by SkyHigher; Jul 9, 2020 at 10:56 AM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Comparing 1V to those two symbols of New York makes little sense. 1WTC doesn't fully restore the skyline. It's patch work at best. You can't 'restore' two iconic titans unless you rebuild something similar to them. We don't know how, if at all symbolic this new building will be especially as the area is soon to get taller buildings nearby
That's nonsense. You may think that the Freedom Tower doesn't fully restore the skyline, but the public demanded a skyline icon be built in that space, and it has been. The plan wasn't to rebuild a replica.
That's why there hasn't been any outrage over the lack of building tower 2. Now imagine if the Freedom Tower hadn't been built by now. Different story. This new building (Vanderbilt) is already symbolic,
and when that new crown is lit in all it's glory, it will be even more so. It's already the rebirth of midtown east, and will be the first major new office skyscraper to open as the city recovers from this pandemic.

So, it won't be just symbolic, it will in fact be the rebirth.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...?adppopup=true

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCbWA1rDo_X/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCbWR4IFnQm/

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 9, 2020 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 5:53 PM

Quote:
That's nonsense. You may think that the Freedom Tower doesn't fully restore the skyline, but the public demanded a skyline icon be built in that space, and it has been. The plan wasn't to rebuild a replica.
That's why there hasn't been any outrage over the lack of building tower 2. Now imagine if the Freedom Tower hadn't been built by now. Different story. This new building (Vanderbilt) is already symbolic,
and when that new crown is lit in all it's glory, it will be even more so. It's already the rebirth of midtown east, and will be the first major new office skyscraper to open as the city recovers from this pandemic.

So, it won't be just symbolic, it will in fact be the rebirth.
1WTC is only considered an icon because of it's location. There is no outrage over 2WTC cause most people don't give a shit because the main tower 1WTC is done as is the memorial.

Oh and it's a fact 1WTC doesn't fully restore the skyline. Would you like me to post comparisons?

1V is symbolic? rebirth?....hold on....do you work with this buildings PR team??

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 12:00 AM
I love NY!

Quote:
1WTC is only considered an icon because of it's location. There is no outrage over 2WTC cause most people don't give a shit because the main tower 1WTC is done as is the memorial.

Oh and it's a fact 1WTC doesn't fully restore the skyline. Would you like me to post comparisons?

1V is symbolic? rebirth?....hold on....do you work with this buildings PR team??
1 WTC is an instant icon, from the first column being placed to the beacon being installed. There’s no denying what the building means for the city.

I wouldn’t say 1 Vandy is symbolic yet but it’s does represent the rebirth for Midtown east. It will put all eyes on that part of the city when the building is completed, especially when the crown and spire are lit up.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 8:36 AM

Yes 1WTC is an icon because of what it represents. But I wouldn't even put it in my 10 top buildings of the city. How ever if 2WTC sticks close to the original plan absolutely near the top of the list.

The eyes were already on that part of the city with Grand Central Avengers HQ and the Chrysler Building. The only area in recent memory after the new WTC complex I can see that is symbolic for me is the Hudson Yards. I like Vandy....I just wish it was much taller.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 3:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Quote:
Yes 1WTC is an icon because of what it represents. But I wouldn't even put it in my 10 top buildings of the city. How ever if 2WTC sticks close to the original plan absolutely near the top of the list.
Now you're just talking in circles, and bordering on idiocy. You need to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
1 WTC is an instant icon, from the first column being placed to the beacon being installed. There’s no denying what the building means for the city.

I wouldn’t say 1 Vandy is symbolic yet but it’s does represent the rebirth for Midtown east.
Of course the Freedom Tower is an icon on the skyline and Vandy will in fact be the rebirth not just of Midtown East, but for the entire city. This will be the first major office tower to open as the city recovers from the pandemic. Others will follow in the years to come, but this is symbolic, and will shine brightly on the skyline. That is, if they ever get this crown and spire complete.

Photos from the cam..

https://www.instagram.com/ethanmachemer/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCch7IeDj_1/

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 10, 2020 at 3:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Now you're just talking in circles, and bordering on idiocy. You need to stop.

No need to be so bitter having to face other peoples opinions.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 7:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: mattpugs

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 2:22 PM
BANNED

I love Boston, SF, Philly, DC, LA, and I like Chi. New York just blows everything else away.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 2:40 PM
New Yorker for life

^ No need to include other cities. If you like NY, you like NY. Statements like that only inflame.

Quote:
No need to be so bitter having to face other peoples opinions.
Who's bitter? Just telling you what I know. My opinion doesn't matter when it comes to the facts.

BTW, I"m starting to think something really is going on with those railings up top. Could there be some kind of "lift" up there. If so, I'll allow it, lol.

[/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 2:48 PM

Quote:

My opinion doesn't matter when it comes to the facts.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 1:53 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: tishgram

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 4:52 PM

“BTW, I"m starting to think something really is going on with those railings up top. Could there be some kind of "lift" up there. If so, I'll allow it, lol.”

I still say it’s missing infills from the curtainwall. Probably yet to be field glazed for whatever reason.

[/IMG][/QUOTE]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive