HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Huh??? Sears was built around the same time as the WTC.
Tenants started moving into Sears in 1973, which is why the building's completion date is sometimes incorrectly stated as 1973, but construction actually continued until 1974.

Quote:
Your own comment, so my statement still stands.
I was just expressing my personal bias against B of A and NYT, as I despise their oversized spires. I didn't expect you to agree that they are fake supertalls!

Quote:
Tgere's a buulding boom now, the city is once again building supertall office towers, and we only hope to get this one started so we can close the chapter on 9/11..
IMO the chapter has already been closed, and 2 WTC is not really needed. How much construction has taken place so far at the site? I admit I haven't been following this thread closely, but the lack of photo updates suggests that nothing is under construction; hence, a couple days ago I suggested demoting this thread back to the Proposals sub-forum.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 9:54 PM

Silverstein should seek approval to change the building from 100% office to mixed use, like 1 million office space, apartments on the lower level and condos at the top. If they could offer 25% or so of the aprtements at subsiidized rates based on income, perhaps the city government would allow the change in buidlign type.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 4:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Silverstein should seek approval to change the building from 100% office to mixed use, like 1 million office space, apartments on the lower level and condos at the top.
Have you seen all of the condos going up in lower Manhattan? What you don't see, and what we won't see if we lose the last available site, is a 2msf office tower going up. New York always needs those, and there are so very few sites in the city that can support them. This happens to be one of them, and it should be reserved as such, I don't care how long it takes. Condos can and are going up everywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Tenants started moving into Sears in 1973, which is why the building's completion date is sometimes incorrectly stated as 1973, but construction actually continued until 1974.

I was just expressing my personal bias against B of A and NYT, as I despise their oversized spires. I didn't expect you to agree that they are fake supertalls!
I don't agree with anything you said, I'm just pointing it out. None of what you said makes sense. Not by the farthest imagination.

Quote:
IMO the chapter has already been closed, and 2 WTC is not really needed.

Well then, that tells me you don't really know what you're talking about, and know nothing of how things work in New York. So we'll leave it at that. In the meantime, if you need something to watch, there are plenty of other supertall office towers going up in the city (with more to follow). No need for this thread to keep bumping with, as you said, no real action.

.https://www.instagram.com/p/BuGrvzSnTXX/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BupJ-MPlhCZ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwKhfGVl68r/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 7:51 PM
New Yorker for life

https://therealdeal.com/2019/05/15/s...2-wtc-on-spec/

Silverstein might build 2 WTC on spec
Developer discusses redevelopment efforts, rise of the Far West Side at TRD conference

By Eddie Small
May 15, 2019

Quote:
Since being stood up by Rupert Murdoch in 2016, Larry Silverstein has been searching in vain for an anchor tenant to commit to the final piece of the World Trade Center redevelopment. But if he doesn’t find a suitor, he might be willing to walk down the aisle solo.

“Is it a consideration?” he said when asked by The Real Deal publisher Amir Korangy if he would build 2 World Trade Center on spec. “Of course, it’s a consideration.”
Quote:
"We couldn’t let the terrorists succeed,” Silverstein said, explaining his motivation for rebuilding. “And by putting the buildings back, we would defeat them.”

The complex is largely finished at this point, with the notable exception of 2 WTC. Murdoch’s News Corp. was planning to anchor the tower, which was to be designed by Bjarke Ingels, but pulled out of the deal.

Silverstein went through the phone call he received about that fateful decision. On Jan. 15, 2016, Murdoch essentially told him he did not like what he was seeing in the economy and the general state of the world at that time, which made him nervous about spending the amount of money it would take to move his company’s headquarters.

“Have you made a definitive, final decision?” Silverstein said he asked Murdoch. “He said, ‘We have made a definitive and final decision. We’re not going to take the move.’”

“It was unfortunate to lose them,” he continued.
Quote:
Office space at the WTC complex has come online at roughly the same time as office space in Hudson Yards. Silverstein said he and Related Companies’ chair Steve Ross were fierce competitors, but he still respected what he has been able to accomplish on Manhattan’s Far West Side. He took the fact that both massive developments—along with Brookfield’s Manhattan West—have already been able to lease so much office space as a sign of the uniqueness of New York City.

“What other city in the world could accommodate 20 million square feet of new office space simultaneously?” he asked. “It’s an amazing thing.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 7:56 PM
New Yorker for life

https://rew-online.com/2019/05/silve...tan-milestone/

Silverstein, Durst celebrate Lower Manhattan milestone-

by REW
May 15, 2019

Quote:
Private-sector employment in Lower Manhattan has swelled to 251,224 employees, rebounding beyond pre-9/11 levels, according to the Alliance for Downtown New York’s Q1 2019 Lower Manhattan Real Estate Market Report.

The employment was driven by strong leasing activity across industries. In total there were two million square feet of deals in Lower Manhattan, which helped the district outperform all other submarkets during one of the busiest quarters in seven years.

The report was released during a press conference at 7WTC with Senator Chuck Schumer joining developer Larry A. Silverstein, the Durst organization’s Eric Engelhardt, and Jessica Lappin, president of the Alliance for Downtown NY.

“This milestone is important for both practical and symbolic reasons,” said Lappin. “Practically, it proves that the rebuilding effort has diversified our city’s economy in a meaningful way while generating thousands of jobs in growth industries.

“Symbolically, it shows that our determination and spirit can never be broken. While our work is not yet done, this data speaks to our phenomenal growth and importance as an engine of opportunity for the city, state, and nation.”

“Anyone who doubts this city, ends up losing. Anyone who bets on this city, ends up winning,” said Schumer. “For Downtown and all of New York … the best is yet to come.”
Quote:
"After 9/11, we all agreed that our primary responsibility was to commemorate those we lost,” said Silverstein, chairman, Silverstein Properties.

“At the same time, we had to restore the commerce that has defined the lower tip of Manhattan throughout the City’s history. At the end of the day, our vision was to create a better version of New York. That vision is now a reality. The bottom line is that Downtown New York – a place many had written off – is now the City’s hottest neighborhood.”

“As the home of New York’s largest TAMI Community and 9,000 workers, One World Trade Center is proud of its role in the revitalization of Lower Manhattan,” said Douglas Durst, Chairman of The Durst Organization.

“We look forward to working with our partners to bring more exciting tenants, retailers and arts & culture to this fast-growing and dynamic community.”

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 3:40 AM

Image and render by me
Man people are quite divisive with this tower. As Kylo Ren said it, "Let's finish this"

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 10:59 PM

The only issue I've had with 2WTC was its placing. I think it would have looked a lot better in the spot of the transit hub instead. But I get how they probably wanted the hub to be in the center of it all.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 11:56 PM

The 'new' WTC 2 is destined to be one of the ugliest highrises in the country -- truly. Whoever came up with it outdid themselves for sure.

One WTC is nice as are the others but what a disappointment to do away with the diamond top design for this crusty thing. Sad that one of the most iconic skylines in the world will be marred by this monstrosity.

I'm just telling you how I really feel.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 1:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
https://sjc1.discourse-cdn.com/business5/uploads/yimby/original/3X/7/a/7ad8fbb16cfc8ff05bd6747a56582584c0ef5cc7.jpeg

Image and render by me
Man people are quite divisive with this tower. As Kylo Ren said it, "Let's finish this"

Very nice. Has that old WTC vibe to it.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/wt...manhattan.html

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 5:34 AM
Everywhere all at once

Is anyone else gagging over the fact that the serrations as seen from the west follow the exact pitch of 1 WTC's slant? It almost makes me prefer this design.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherguru18 View Post
The 'new' WTC 2 is destined to be one of the ugliest highrises in the country -- truly. Whoever came up with it outdid themselves for sure.

One WTC is nice as are the others but what a disappointment to do away with the diamond top design for this crusty thing. Sad that one of the most iconic skylines in the world will be marred by this monstrosity.

I'm just telling you how I really feel.
I couldn't agree more...

..but to me, this design is a no brainer>>

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 4:37 AM

Bjarkes Ingle BIG WTC2 grew on me from a disgraceful shock when I first saw it to being my favorite tower. Foster looks weak and slightly destroyed at the top, it pays too much tribute to 911 with the diamonds pointing to the memorial. It should be just an office building, BIG’s WTC2 is powerful looking from all angles. I work on FIDI and would like to see this giant rise already!

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 5:48 PM

The stacked boxes look is truly horrible.

I hope something prevents this monstrosity from being built.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 8:43 PM
Ex Houstonian

Jesus Christ, they're still going with this horrid design? What a horrible mistake, will surely fuck up the skyline.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 8:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Hopefully Silverstein follows through with his instincts and continues plans for construction...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bum_7pCFpQC/

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 9:27 PM

[QUOTE=NYguy;8579992]Hopefully Silverstein follows through with his instincts and continues plans for construction...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bum_7pCFpQC/

Couldn't disagree more, this design is horrid. I dont know why this has become popular among architects but it looks downright stupid.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:06 AM

The current design has also grown on me as well. Would you rather have a unique design of stacked boxes or just a box? Just a box would be horrible, what's proposed now is fine

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The current design has also grown on me as well. Would you rather have a unique design of stacked boxes or just a box? Just a box would be horrible, what's proposed now is fine
The criticism if this tower is ridiculous. If this tower were proposed for Chicago, Atlanta, Charlotte, Seattle, etc., people from those cities would be ecstatic.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:38 AM

Quote:

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:52 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
The criticism if this tower is ridiculous. If this tower were proposed for Chicago, Atlanta, Charlotte, Seattle, etc., people from those cities would be ecstatic.

For the height, yea. While the design has grown on me I wouldn't blame someone for thinking it was horrid looking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction