HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 7:24 PM

900 something on FultonMarket

Dec 3

What addr is this new vacant lot ? any idea what is planned ?

And a bit west - N edge of Union Park.

Last edited by harryc; Dec 6, 2020 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 10:44 PM

That lot (900 one) is owned by the same developer that just did the new Herman Miller office, and is just starting that hotel/office turned just office at 1025 Fulton.

https://www.fultonstco.com/

Should get started when they wrap up 1025 I believe. But I wouldn’t get too excited about design based on their other stuff

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Nov 26

The devil is in the details
Gensler.

I wonder if SOM was ever contacted for a proposal. Not that they're any less mega-size corporate, but their track record for aesthetic considerations is a lot stronger. (And they'd possibly have some emotional motivation given that they're the building's designers.)

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Is the Gems2 site abandoned? Or are they working on groundscaping? cant tell from a still shot.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 9:02 PM

^^looks like they put boards down to allow heavy equipment to run to St. Regis with trees without breaking up the concrete. I believe that construction on GEMS 2 is still stopped.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 10:59 PM

There was a virtual meeting this week to discuss changes to the streetscape on Irving Park Road between the river and almost Damen. During the meeting, Alderman Matt Martin said the reason the plan does not extend all the way to Damen is that a "significant" proposal is in the pipeline that will could drastically change the six corner intersection at Irving/Damen/Lincoln, with the parcel on the southwest corner of Damen and Irving (currently a bank and surface lot) potentially redeveloped. Since it's not an actual proposal yet, I can't find any easily accessible public information.

Anyone have inside info? I've been dreaming of this lot getting redeveloped and this intersection getting more life as a pedestrian hub for a long time!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
There was a virtual meeting this week to discuss changes to the streetscape on Irving Park Road between the river and almost Damen. During the meeting, Alderman Matt Martin said the reason the plan does not extend all the way to Damen is that a "significant" proposal is in the pipeline that will could drastically change the six corner intersection at Irving/Damen/Lincoln, with the parcel on the southwest corner of Damen and Irving (currently a bank and surface lot) potentially redeveloped. Since it's not an actual proposal yet, I can't find any easily accessible public information.

Anyone have inside info? I've been dreaming of this lot getting redeveloped and this intersection getting more life as a pedestrian hub for a long time!
That is a very large lot in an otherwise mature and beautiful walkable neighborhood. Just 2 blocks north is the new Belle Plaine Plaza, which closed off 1 block of Belle Plaine between Lincoln and Damen to convert to plaza.
https://chi.streetsblog.org/2020/09/...-people-space/

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 12:18 AM
TL;DR

Quote:

Is there something wrong with the streetscape in this area? It looks like it was already streetscaped back in the 90s or 00s and appears in good condition! Isn't there somewhere else in the neighborhood where this money could be better spent?

Unless, of course, CDOT wants to put in bus lanes! Irving Park is a prime candidate.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Is there something wrong with the streetscape in this area? It looks like it was already streetscaped back in the 90s or 00s and appears in good condition! Isn't there somewhere else in the neighborhood where this money could be better spent?

Unless, of course, CDOT wants to put in bus lanes! Irving Park is a prime candidate.
I'll take bus or protected bike lanes, or ban cars and do both.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 5:34 AM

Old Post Office developer kicks off another major office redo
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...or-office-redo
Quote:
The developer that turned the Old Post Office into a modern office building and lured a slew of tenants there is betting it can perform a similar trick at a big empty building a block away.

New York-based 601W said it will begin work in the next few weeks on a $180 million-plus renovation of 801 S. Canal St., a vacant, 680,000-square-foot office building it bought in January just south of the Old Post Office. The six-story building, which stretches almost a full city block along Canal Street between Polk and Taylor streets, was fully leased to financial services company Northern Trust from 1990 until its lease expired this fall.

Now 601W plans to remake it into a multi-tenant office building dubbed Canal Station, even as the COVID-19 pandemic has triggered a flood of downtown office vacancies and raised questions about when or if companies' appetite for offices will ever be as strong as it was before the crisis. (See more images of the project below.)

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 7:11 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

^ The Canal Street underpass under the Eisenhower really needs to be made more attractive somehow. It is not a pleasant place to walk (or bike!) right now.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

It's not very pedestrian friendly. Irving is 4 lanes of fast traffic abutting right up against the sidewalk with little/no pedestrian or bike protection. They want to add things like pedestrian islands, curb extensions, bike lanes, etc., similar to the work done on Lawrence between Ashland and Western a few years ago.

And yes, I'd LOVE to see bus lanes on Irving! Am I wrong that since Irving Park Road is actually IL 19 and it falls under the purview of IDOT, thus making things like bus lanes more difficult for the city to accomplish there?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 5:12 PM

Quote:

I doubt that CDoT is holding up their plans on the "If & Come" of some private developer.

It is more likely that they intend to EmDom the lot for a Damen/Elston/Fullerton style bypass and will unload the unused portion of the property when they are done.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 6:40 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
It's not very pedestrian friendly. Irving is 4 lanes of fast traffic abutting right up against the sidewalk with little/no pedestrian or bike protection. They want to add things like pedestrian islands, curb extensions, bike lanes, etc., similar to the work done on Lawrence between Ashland and Western a few years ago.

And yes, I'd LOVE to see bus lanes on Irving! Am I wrong that since Irving Park Road is actually IL 19 and it falls under the purview of IDOT, thus making things like bus lanes more difficult for the city to accomplish there?
Yes, Irving is an IDOT controlled road. A road diet or a 4-to-2 conversion would likely be opposed by IDOT, but bus or protected bike lanes at the curb would probably not face the same opposition; losing the curbside parking would not affect the capacity of the road for private vehicles, and any conflicts (say, at right turn lanes) can be addressed constructively. IDOT was neutral on Rahm's proposal for BRT on Ashland; they would allow it so long as the traffic issues were addressed somehow.

I looked up Ald Martin's recording of the meeting. It seems like this is a community planning process driven by the alderman himself, not by CDOT. And it's not solely focused on transportation, it includes planning for private development as well. So it's not necessarily about a new streetscaping project but about creating a holistic vision for this area in order to judge development proposals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
I doubt that CDoT is holding up their plans on the "If & Come" of some private developer.

It is more likely that they intend to EmDom the lot for a Damen/Elston/Fullerton style bypass and will unload the unused portion of the property when they are done.
LOL, no. Irving is plenty busy but Lincoln and Damen are relatively quiet roads. Plus it's not like this is some lonely industrial area, there are historic buildings, homes and shops here.

Maybe they might consider doing a Lincoln Square style treatment here where Lincoln is diverted onto Damen between Belle Plaine and Byron. But even that seems unlikely since Belle Plaine was just turned into a spanking new plaza that would need to be ripped up.

Last edited by ardecila; Dec 11, 2020 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post

This is was a community meeting gauging interest and gather ideas between 47th ward residents and the alderman, CDOT is not involved right now.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 9:37 PM

Quote:
This is was a community meeting gauging interest and gather ideas between 47th ward residents and the alderman, CDOT is not involved right now.
Sorry, I assumed CDoT was discussing the streetscape improvements. And that they said it ended short of the intersection because of future plans. If it was just the Alderman blathering then, yes anything is possible

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 11:08 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
^ The Canal Street underpass under the Eisenhower really needs to be made more attractive somehow. It is not a pleasant place to walk (or bike!) right now.

For sure, however I'll settle, sadly, for a simple resurfacing at this point. Third world/post-apocalyptic road conditions in that stretch right now - at best. It is ridiculous how long it has been that bad without addressing. Small cars could disappear into some of those craters. Even given present govt. finances, it boggles the mind this wasn't resurfaced years ago.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 3:28 PM

The 5 year ACS was released the other day, which means new data by Community Area. I'm still processing a ton but here's some general population numbers of a few CAs from 2018 to 2019. I understand COVID-19 might have thrown stuff for a loop but still interesting to look at:

Population change from 2018 to 2019:
Near North Side: +3323 people
West Ridge: +1254 people
The Loop: +1008 people
Lake View: +818 people
Lincoln Park: +768 people
Lincoln Square: +660 people
Bridgeport: +652 people
Archer Heights: +644 people
Rogers Park: +603 people
Uptown: +555 people
Kenwood: +514 people
Near West Side: +437 people
Near South Side: +386 people
Oakland: +377 people
Avondale: +209 people
Douglas: +85 people
Fuller Park: +10 people

Rogers Park was estimated to have lost people from 2010 to 2018. Now it is up from 2010 to 2019. Population change of Near North, South, West, and the Loop combined from 2010 to 2019 is an estimated nearly +56,000 people. Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Uptown, Lincoln Square, and North Center combined up nearly +18K people in that period.

More to come

Last edited by marothisu; Dec 12, 2020 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 4:33 PM
The City

Marothisu, always refreshing! Where’ve you been?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 5:22 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
For sure, however I'll settle, sadly, for a simple resurfacing at this point. Third world/post-apocalyptic road conditions in that stretch right now - at best. It is ridiculous how long it has been that bad without addressing. Small cars could disappear into some of those craters. Even given present govt. finances, it boggles the mind this wasn't resurfaced years ago.
CDOT has had a replacement of the Canal viaduct planned for years now, from Madison down to Taylor. It's a big project on par with the N-S rebuild of Wacker Drive 8 years ago. They're probably waiting for this rather than spend a few million on resurfacing.

According to this presentation from November, they are looking to start the first section of this project next year (the Union Station zone between Jackson/Adams). The rest of it should follow. It also says they're looking to rebuild that section of Harrison south of OPO, which is also crumbling.

They're delayed this multiple years, but if there's anything to be optimistic about, now the city has two big developers - 601W (OPO, Canal Station) and Riverside (BMO Tower) leaning on them to get this project done. The city and Amtrak are also in years-long negotiations about the future of Union Station, which includes the Canal viaduct.

Last edited by ardecila; Dec 12, 2020 at 5:40 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development