HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Along with requiring some but not all units to be accessible. If you could build six-story walk ups with no parking, no ramps and no elevators (passenger or service), you would get affordable housing.
More obviously: if it were legal to build affordable housing, then people would build affordable housing.

But that's the reality, it's not legal to build affordable housing. 90% of Chicago's historic building stock is not legal under any contemporary zoning classification.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 12:42 PM

Looks like @ChicagoDPD posted updated renderings for 900 W Fulton. My question is what do they have ghosted behind it at 901 W Carroll?

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 2:11 PM

According to some inside info, developer Golub is in the planning stages of a 312 foot tall residential tower at 700 S Clinton. Some progression this week, too (i.e. not info from pre-pandemic). Looks like developers are ready to move froward on investments around the OPO...

Currently: https://www.google.com/maps/place/70...!4d-87.6412337

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
According to some inside info, developer Golub is in the planning stages of a 312 foot tall residential tower at 700 S Clinton. Some progression this week, too (i.e. not info from pre-pandemic). Looks like developers are ready to move froward on investments around the OPO...

Currently: https://www.google.com/maps/place/70...!4d-87.6412337
Isn't that area considering an industrial zone?

Residential would be nice to start seeing in that area, but I have my doubts.

I thought there was another residential high rise planned just a block south of there that was rejected outright because it does not belong in that area.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Shadow View Post
Isn't that area considering an industrial zone?

Residential would be nice to start seeing in that area, but I have my doubts.

I thought there was another residential high rise planned just a block south of there that was rejected outright because it does not belong in that area.
No

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:28 PM

Quote:
No
Something about that area.

In the last 8 years nothing but retail building permits have been issued in that entire area.

Do you not find that odd?

Found the article:

Polk and Jefferson

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...-market-views/

Last edited by Suburban Shadow; May 22, 2020 at 3:35 PM. Reason: Found article

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Something about that area.

In the last 8 years nothing but retail building permits have been issued in that entire area.

Do you not find that odd?

Found the article:

Polk and Jefferson

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...-market-views/

Not really, Fulton Market was a meat packing district until it wasn't. River North was slum. Streeterville was a swamp. Logan Square was a farm.

The OPO is a once-a-generation transformation bringing thousands of office workers the neighborhood, plus the BMO tower currently under construction. Naturally, residential was going to follow. Until the past couple of years developers didn't have much reason to invest in residential in this area. A new, modest residential tower two blocks from the OPO and Clinton blue line stop is the simply the natural evolution of the neighborhood. In the next 5-10 another residential tower or two, some offices, some retail, etc. That's how neighborhoods change.

Last edited by Handro; May 22, 2020 at 3:57 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Not really, Fulton Market was a meat packing district until it wasn't. River North was slum. Streeterville was a swamp. Logan Square was a farm.

The OPO is a once-a-generation transformation bringing thousands of office workers the neighborhood, plus the BMO tower currently under construction. Naturally, residential was going to follow. Until the past couple of years developers didn't have much reason to invest in residential in this area. A new, modest residential tower two blocks from the OPO and Clinton blue line stop is the simply the natural evolution of the neighborhood. In the next 5-10 another residential tower or two, some offices, some retail, etc. That's how neighborhoods change.
Well since I found the article and remember this being shut down be the alderman before you even became a member here, it will stay a retail and commercial area until proven otherwise.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Well since I found the article and remember this being shut down be the alderman before you even became a member here, it will stay a retail and commercial area until proven otherwise.
Lmao!

OK, sweet child.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Lmao!

OK, sweet child.
No problem baby

Moderator: I apologize for comments. Please remove all off topic posts.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Looks like @ChicagoDPD posted updated renderings for 900 W Fulton. My question is what do they have ghosted behind it at 901 W Carroll?
Did some searching and no luck, looks like it's on Wayman St.

It's kinda funny how 900 W Fulton is 125 feet (move to highrise thread?), but looks tiny compared to other developments in the area. I'm still surprised how much Fulton Market has changed in a short time.

Quote:
Speaking of changes, finally some movement in the Southwest Loop. Surprised this area wasn't developed sooner since there's lots of retail, UIC and Union are next door, and empty lots that can be easily developed. The only downside is that the area lacks strong transit service going south.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Did some searching and no luck, looks like it's on Wayman St.

It's kinda funny how 900 W Fulton is 125 feet (move to highrise thread?), but looks tiny compared to other developments in the area. I'm still surprised how much Fulton Market has changed in a short time.

Speaking of changes, finally some movement in the Southwest Loop. Surprised this area wasn't developed sooner since there's lots of retail, UIC and Union are next door, and empty lots that can be easily developed. The only downside is that the area lacks strong transit service going south.
Yea it's pretty weak in that department. I'd expect the area from Polk north to Harrison to fill in long before the area to the south as it's still close enough to the Loop and Clinton Blue line to feel connected. With the furhter progression of Riverline and the 78, some pedestrian access across the river at Polk would do wonders to fill it in there, as well.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:01 PM
TL;DR

Quote:

The "southwest Loop" area is currently zoned DS (Downtown Service) which explicitly prohibits residential use. When Bond Companies tried to get the zoning changed to put residential at The Maxwell, DPD refused to support the zoning change... which is one of the few times Planning has gotten their way. (Of course, Solis was the alderman at the time so who knows what kind of shenanigans went on in the background.)

The long-standing planning goal for this area has been to preserve it for service businesses, and a secondary goal to establish a major regional retail district for big box stores. Both of these uses would get pushed out if the zoning opened up to allow highrise development. It may seem odd for the planning dept to advocate for less-intense uses, but planners have to consider the bigger picture. Keeping a pocket of DS zoning allowed important service businesses (package delivery, janitorial, auto services, eventually back-office development, etc) to have a place reserved for them close to downtown.

On the retail side, establishing a retail area here was a way to counter the food/retail deserts on the South and West Side and prevent "leakage" from city residents driving to the suburbs to shop. Roosevelt Road has been a black shopping district since the Maxwell Street days, but with the growth of the South Loop city planners saw a way to serve both the Black community with major national retailers, and the newly wealthy residents of downtown/downtown-adjacent areas.

If the city's policy towards Roosevelt Road/Southwest Loop has changed, I'm not aware of it... but we are in a new mayoral administration, so anything's possible. It's also possible that Golub could get slapped down the way Bond Companies was - even though, as a pretty big player, I would expect them to know better. Important to note that if/when it does open up, it will not be a "natural" transition but the result of centrally-planned changes to city planning policy. Fulton Market was not a "natural" evolution but the result of concerted efforts in both the public and private sectors, combined with significant changes in the zoning map and city policy.

Last edited by ardecila; May 22, 2020 at 7:19 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The "southwest Loop" area is currently zoned DS (Downtown Service) which explicitly prohibits residential use. When Bond Companies tried to get the zoning changed to put residential at The Maxwell, DPD refused to support the zoning change... which is one of the few times Planning has gotten their way. (Of course, Solis was the alderman at the time so who knows what kind of shenanigans went on in the background.)

The long-standing planning goal for this area has been to preserve it for service businesses, and a secondary goal to establish a major regional retail district for big box stores. Both of these uses would get pushed out if the zoning opened up to allow highrise development. It may seem odd for the planning dept to advocate for less-intense uses, but planners have to consider the bigger picture. Keeping a pocket of DS zoning allowed important service businesses (package delivery, janitorial, auto services, eventually back-office development, etc) to have a place reserved for them close to downtown.

On the retail side, establishing a retail area here was a way to counter the food/retail deserts on the South and West Side and prevent "leakage" from city residents driving to the suburbs to shop. Roosevelt Road has been a black shopping district since the Maxwell Street days, but with the growth of the South Loop city planners saw a way to serve both the Black community with major national retailers, and the newly wealthy residents of downtown/downtown-adjacent areas.

If the city's policy towards Roosevelt Road/Southwest Loop has changed, I'm not aware of it... but we are in a new mayoral administration, so anything's possible.
Golub is preparing a 300 foot tall residential tower at 700 S. Clinton, two blocks south of OPO and the Clinton blue line. If you and surburban_dad want to disagree, take it up with them.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

If the city's policy towards Roosevelt Road/Southwest Loop has changed, I'm not aware of it... but we are in a new mayoral administration, so anything's possible. Important to note that if/when it does open up, it will not be a "natural" transition but the result of centrally-planned changes to city planning policy.
Thank you for explaining exactly why Golub will have an uphill battle to get a residential development approved at 700 S. Clinton instead of going directly to insults. I knew there was a reason.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:27 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Golub is preparing a 300 foot tall residential tower at 700 S. Clinton, two blocks south of OPO and the Clinton blue line. If you and surburban_dad want to disagree, take it up with them.
Golub is a sophisticated operation, no doubt with very competent and well-connected zoning attorneys. They would not be pursuing something if they didn't think it was feasible. But it also sounds like they're in the very early stages still.

They haven't made any public announcements yet and they WILL need a zoning change from Ald Sigcho-Lopez, potentially over the opposition of DPD. Knowing Sigcho, I'm sure he will insist on one or more public meetings (because CoMMunITy InPUt). If this is real, it is far from being a done deal.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post

Bump. Would like to know as well, here's link to tweet: https://twitter.com/ChicagoDPD/statu...64964419289097

320 N Sangamon and then something unknown directly North. Any sleuths out there?

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:51 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Construction Update: 3300 N. Clark

Credit: bKL Architecture

Credit: 44thward

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 12:48 AM

My River Runneth Over

May 18

Just below the crest

The patio acts like a giant wick drawing the river in - to the wall - of my server room.

Hines did a great job of keeping it vacuumed up and there were no problems.

May 19

a more normal level

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 2:00 AM

Hi All,

Crains had an article recently about an office building being built in Pilsen; is this the large block of vacant land on 18th street?

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...=hero-readmore

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development