HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 4:13 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
It was actually created by a Portland organization, but yeah, local firm evolve ea is involved with the organization and behind all three certifications here. It's pretty much total bullshit.

It's equally as hilarious as when Etna was named the "World's Second Certified EcoDistrict"... the first being Millvale.
Very true, and thank you for providing that clarification. "EcoDistricts" is indeed the parent organization, and it is this Portland-based non-profit that officially created the certification. Evolve EA promotes it locally. I don't know the relationship / contract / partnership between them, beyond that. I'm guessing Evolve EA formed a connection with EcoDistricts and teamed up with them to find the certification that could be applied to local places like Millvale.

Christine Mondor was one of my architecture professors at CMU. She and her husband Marc co-founded and manage Evolve EA. They're leaders in the green infrastructure movement, and they are both doing good work with their firm and their outreach. I'm all for green investments & infrastructure. I used to live up in the hills overlooking Etna & Millvale & know both areas well. The boroughs are both changing, for the better overall, in my opinion. It's just the way it's all advertised that makes me smile a little. I don't think this certification is going to become the next LEED, LBC, or WELL, and it probably isn't intended to. It IS one more tool in the arsenal of responses to climate change.

Last edited by deja vu; Feb 23, 2021 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 5:38 PM

Anyone familiar with "NEXTransit" or "Central Connections"? I was linked to it from somewhere and I can't remember from where. The website itself is strangely devoid of context, like who put together the report and when. What is the funding? Who's involved? It is so strangely put together that it seems like the author had English as a second language.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...38528040211739

"NEXTransit
Central Connections
The central area is primarily the City of Pittsburgh

Overview
The goal of the NEXTransit Plan is an improved transit system, which will attract more riders, enhance mobility for Allegheny County residents, and support community development and redevelopment initiatives throughout the County. All projects are intended to build upon and improve our current transportation network to attract more riders, improve customer experience, enhance mobility, and support community development and redevelopment while promoting regional equity and accessibility.

The central is an area where the public communicated a great need for expanded and improved public transportation. It is imperative that our transit system keep pace with the growing need in those areas and provide efficient, safe and reliable public transit service."

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 6:47 PM
somewhere in-between

Not familiar, but they have a Facebook Page and it seems linked to the Port Authority. The NEXTransit site does read like it was written by a non-English / non-native speaker (right off the bat with this statement: "The central area is primarily the City of the Pittsburgh.") My guess is they tapped into the help of some grad students somewhere at CMU or Pitt. Or maybe someone just needs to learn how to proofread.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 12:50 AM

411 Fort Pitt Blvd

Here's a possible new shakeup for First Side. A bundle of parcels described as 411 Fort Pitt Blvd was listed last month:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...76557692_zpid/

The bundle includes properties that face First Avenue as well as ones that face Fort Pitt Blvd.

At one point in the zillow listing it says "for sale". At another point it says "pending", and the pending notation is dated the same day as it was listed. Is this on anybody's radar? If this has come up already, I missed it.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinExPat View Post
Here's a possible new shakeup for First Side. A bundle of parcels described as 411 Fort Pitt Blvd was listed last month:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...76557692_zpid/

The bundle includes properties that face First Avenue as well as ones that face Fort Pitt Blvd.

At one point in the zillow listing it says "for sale". At another point it says "pending", and the pending notation is dated the same day as it was listed. Is this on anybody's radar? If this has come up already, I missed it.
This is literally right behind my new office. It will be interesting to see what (if anything) happens here.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 2:07 AM

Since I'm out of town, it's possible that I might have missed the latest news about the FNB tower. What's the latest? And are they any closer to actually breaking ground?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 12:18 PM

LRT expansion through Chateau?

Has been a while since I've seen discussion of LRT expansion on this board. Realizing it's a looking glass exercise, can anyone remind me what the likely path would be and especially where an Ohio River crossing might happen? As a North Side (Manchester) resident I'm closely following Chateau development at the Millcraft/Esplanade site and at the far end with the SCI facility etc. The recent PBT articles on the PWSA office building/garage project and UPMC/Parallel/Goodblend investment at the old XPedx site represent a lot of dollars and a lot of jobs down there. And of course SCI still to be sorted out, so much potential there. How will Chateau development impact Woods Run Brighton Heights and Marchall/Shadeland? Has me wondering what public transit options there are through this corridor. No PAT routes use Chateau Ave/McClure as far as i know. Right now bike seems like the only viable non-car option.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 12:26 PM

PBT: Goodblend Pennsylvania commits to 120,000-square-foot medical marijuana facility

Goodblend Pennsylvania commits to 120,000-square-foot medical marijuana facility on the North Side

By Tim Schooley – Reporter, Pittsburgh Business Times
Feb 1, 2021 Updated Feb 1, 2021, 8:37am EST

The economic potential of medical marijuana may soon have its biggest demonstration yet in the region as a new research joint venture works to set up major facility on the North Side.

Atlanta-based Parallel confirmed that it has committed to a long-term lease for 120,000 square feet with the Buncher Co. at its Northside Commerce Center, an industrial building in the Chateau neighborhood of the North Side.

Expecting to get to work by the middle of this year, the operation will be the headquarters, grow facility and research center for Goodblend Pennsylvania, a state-approved and licensed venture to research and produce medical marijuana in partnership with the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...-facility.html

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinExPat View Post

Looks like it was listed in January 2020 and went contingent on November 4, 2020.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 5:03 AM
somewhere in-between

Helm on the Allegheny -

Source: LinkedIn | WTW Architects

And a recent news story from Next Pittsburgh on the new innovation center opening this summer in the roundhouse at Hazelwood Green -

Quote:
OneValley opening innovation center at Hazelwood Green, launching Pittsburgh Startup Challenge and more
Michael Machosky | Next Pittsburgh
February 18, 2021

The distance between Pittsburgh and the heart of the high-tech world just got a little shorter. OneValley, formerly GSVLabs (Global Silicon Valley Labs), is opening an innovation center this summer in Pittsburgh at Hazelwood Green. The coworking, event and accelerator space will be housed in the Roundhouse, a remnant of the site’s former LTV steel mill. OneValley’s mission is to help Pittsburgh startups connect to capital, talent networks and customers on a global scale — and give them a physical, supportive place to grow and thrive...

Source: Next Pittsburgh | Courtesy GBBN Architects

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 10:09 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Those people aren’t social distancing or wearing masks!!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 12:36 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
Those people aren’t social distancing or wearing masks!!!!!!
Maybe the project turns out to be so successful that they innovated an end to the pandemic

Another interior rendering, from the article -

Source: Next Pittsburgh | Courtesy GBBN Architects

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 12:55 PM

March 11th ZBA now online. There are a few small projects of some interest.

1. New coffee shop in Brighton Heights. Appears to be replacing a dive bar.

2. Infill house in Allentown. This is part of a weird, expensive enclave of modern houses which has been slowly built out. Basically another one of those "great views" nooks of the southern hilltop which allows for ridiculous sale prices as more budget Grandview.

3. A new home in Squirrel Hill North. It seems it will replace what at least externally seems to be a perfectly salvageable foursquare. Can't tell much from the crude site drawings other than the new home will be bigger, the setback will be a bit less (appropriate, IMHO, since it's right next to the Beeler Street rowhouses), and there will be a relatively wide front driveway.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 10:18 PM
Ex Houstonian

I listen to the local news sometimes on YouTube while working and just learned they’re tearing down the big ugly Wholeys building in the strip. I had no idea. Are they planning on building something there?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 11:11 PM
JDescutner

Yup, the Planning Commission approved the redesign of a tower that is replacing it.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 6:32 PM
Ex Houstonian

That’s great. Normally I’d be against tearing down anything historic, but that building is an ugly pile of concrete. Hope they put the wholeys fish on that building though.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 3:20 PM

^ I think it's going to be put up on the Heinz History Center... that seems to ring a bell with me.

Though I hope that they do a better job with the new "sign"... like maybe actually attempt to make it look like it wasn't strung up by a drunk yinzer during the holidays. An actual sign in large format, like what's inside the market, might be cool:

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:41 PM

There's a potentially interesting project going before the ZBA on the 18th: A rehabilitation of one of the last remaining historic multi-story warehouse buildings in Chateau into what appears to be office space. They are asking the ZBA to add a 5th floor/rooftop deck, which would go above existing height maximums. Looking at the renderings, at first I thought they were reskinning the bottom third of the building, but they appear to be just cutting out infilled window openings and bringing in more natural light. They are asking for a variance for "Public Assembly (limited) as well, which makes me wonder what the intended use for the building is.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 2:28 PM

Quote:
They are asking the ZBA to add a 5th floor/rooftop deck, which would go above existing height maximums.
jeez, if you can't have a little height there, then where (outside of downtown)?
Maybe just a legacy thing from it being more of an industrial area, but that area is a great example of where there could be some height with little downside.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
jeez, if you can't have a little height there, then where (outside of downtown)?
Maybe just a legacy thing from it being more of an industrial area, but that area is a great example of where there could be some height with little downside.
IIRC, they substantially increased the height minimums in the lower portion of Chateau (possibly explicitly to make way for the Esplanade project). But this parcel is far enough north that height limits didn't rise.

I can't see who would challenge the variance, TBH, given all neighbors are industrial properties (unless you count any people living on their boats in the marina).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations