HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 5:14 AM

Flight didn't last long...

Frontier Airlines appears to be stopping service to Philadelphia. Last bookable flight is November 4th. Times on this flight were horrible though. Doubt many travelers, especially leisure, want to leave SA around midnight and get to Philly at 4am. No thanks.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 2:35 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI0120 View Post

Frontier Airlines appears to be stopping service to Philadelphia. Last bookable flight is November 4th. Times on this flight were horrible though. Doubt many travelers, especially leisure, want to leave SA around midnight and get to Philly at 4am. No thanks.
Yeah doesn't surprise me. AA will bring it back at some point I'm sure.

In other news... get ready for a large cutback in service across the country. A friend that works at United told me they are cutting service pretty significantly across the country in September to relieve the pressure on crews. And they aren't the only airline that will be doing that. I assume this will affect SA in some way.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 3:04 PM

No doubt. I understand that Spirit has the worst reputation in the airline industry. Their claim is that "We Have the newest airline fleet in the country".
As cheaply as they sell tickets for, well, I flew with them a couple of times and got a backache for my trouble.
Quote:

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 3:38 PM

What’s up at Stinson? Layout plan under study at San Antonio’s first airport

https://sanantonioreport.org/whats-u...first-airport/

When the Stinson family leased hundreds of acres of farmland on the South Side to open a pilot school in 1916, the annual rent they paid to the City of San Antonio was $5.

More than a century later, the Stinson Municipal Airport remains the second longest continuously operating airport in the United States. It averages about 100,000 takeoffs and landings a year, and in 2021 contributed nearly half a million dollars to the city aviation department’s bottom line.

The smaller sibling of the San Antonio International Airport, Stinson is a general aviation “reliever airport,” which means that small private charter flights, helicopter tours, pilot trainees, law enforcement and medical services take off, land, maintain and store their aircraft there.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 8:39 PM

Delta has pushed back SAT-JFK now to April 10, 2023. With the history of this route being pushed back, it's likely this route won't return for some time.

Basically means it's going to continue to be difficult for SA passengers to access European/transatlantic markets, especially since Delta and SkyTeam have such a large presence at JFK.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 5:50 AM

FAA awards another $2.5M for San Antonio airport improvements

https://sanantonioreport.org/faa-gra...-improvements/

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announced Tuesday that San Antonio will get $2.5 million in funding for airport improvements.

The funds are part of the recent $850 million the FAA awarded to 200 U.S. airports through its airport improvement program.

The announcement comes within a month of the San Antonio airport being awarded $10 million in FAA grant funding, which will be used to make space for a new Terminal C to be built.

Designed to help airports with building and improving facilities, making repairs to runways and purchasing equipment, the airport improvement program is open to airports annually with grant awards based on passenger volume.

Funds for the program come through the Airport and Airway Trust which is funded by excise taxes on passenger tickets and taxes on aviation fuel purchases.

San Antonio International Airport officials said Tuesday they will use the latest grant funds for an environmental assessment of its upcoming airfield expansion plan.

That plan calls for shifting, lengthening and decoupling two commercial runways, and is part of the $1 billion in improvements outlined in the 2040 Airport Strategic Development Plan approved last year.

“This is a major development in our master plan and it’s good news for the future of San Antonio and meeting the needs of our travelers,” stated Jesus Saenz, director of airports for the San Antonio Airport System. “This is the first step in reaching our goal to increase our ability to offer more international flights.”

Air travel bounced back in recent months after historic lows that started with the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. Signaling continued recovery in the industry, the San Antonio airport is preparing for an increase in air travel over the coming Labor Day holiday weekend.

The Transportation Security Administration has estimated that more than 30,000 passengers will travel through the local airport on Thursday and Friday, an increase from 27,000 during the same time last year.

“We’re thrilled to see more travelers in the airport,” Saenz stated. “Many of those passengers haven’t flown in years because of the pandemic and they are ready for a vacation.”

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 9:24 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
...Basically means it's going to continue to be difficult for SA passengers to access European/transatlantic markets, especially since Delta and SkyTeam have such a large presence at JFK.
AUS is always an option. However, if one must utilize SkyTeam carriers - there are plenty of connections from SAT-ATL with continued services onto Europe, the Middle East and Africa from there. One could even use SkyTeam bases in Boston or Minneapolis as well.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Delta has pushed back SAT-JFK now to April 10, 2023. With the history of this route being pushed back, it's likely this route won't return for some time.

Basically means it's going to continue to be difficult for SA passengers to access European/transatlantic markets, especially since Delta and SkyTeam have such a large presence at JFK.
You could always take JetBlue and hop on one of their codeshare partners at JFK, if you're set on connecting at JFK that is. If your loyal to SkyTeam, then yeah I could see your frustration. Of the big three, Delta has been the most conservative with their schedule post Covid. I do believe they will resume the route eventually and April makes sense as its right before the summer travel season starts up.

I have no issues reaching Europe via a connection at IAD or EWR. But like I said, not sure if you're just talking specifically about folks loyal to Delta and SkyTeam.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 1:58 PM

SAT July 2022 Stats

Quote:
As the airport continues to rebound from the COVID-19 pandemic, San Antonio International
Airport (SAT)’s passenger numbers reached 875,945 in July 2022 representing an 8.2%
increase compared to the same month in 2021. July 2022 had the highest passenger numbers
for the airport since December 2019. Many people took to the skies again during the month on
long overdue trips including a resurgence in business travel demand.
Airlines still don't have capacity back to 2019 levels, they're flying larger aircraft but less frequencies. If you look at the seat capacity chart in relation to passenger numbers, its pretty clear that at this point, SAT is dealing with a capacity shortage, and not a flyer shortage. Hopefully the labor shortage eases into 2023.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 3:59 PM

Quote:

I noticed JetBlue is increasing 2x JFK-SAT-JFK for certain periods next year. Crossing fingers we see an early morning SAT-FLL flight from them and a return late in the evening for Caribbean/South America connections. Makes up for the AUS-FLL flight they had suspended.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 9:22 PM

Feds nix San Antonio's $50 million request to upgrade airport terminal

Dallas, Houston and smaller Texas cities received more than $100 million in federal funding for airport projects.

https://www.sacurrent.com/news/feds-...minal-29784191

The federal government last month denied the city's request for $50 million in funding to expand San Antonio International Airport's Terminal A, according to the Express-News.

The Federal Aviation Administration's denial makes the Alamo City airport one of the few in the Lone Star State to be denied funding under the federal government's $5 billion Airport Terminal Program. That initiative was funded through Congress' passage late last year of the $1.2 trillion infrastructure bill, the daily reports.

The FAA's decision comes after city council approved master plan to overhaul San Antonio International at the cost of $2.5 billion over 20 years.

Other Texas sites that received funding totaling $103.4 million under the Airport Terminal Program include Houston's two major airports, Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, and airports in Laredo, Corpus Christie and El Paso, the Express-News reports.

According to the Express-News, city officials hoped to use the federal funding to build a ground-loading facility for Terminal A, which would allow some passengers to board aircraft from the Tarmac.

Although the Feds rejected the San Antonio's plans this time round, the city will have four other chances to apply for federal funding in coming years as part of the FAA. program, according to the report.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 5:41 AM

Southwest extended their schedule to spring 2023 and added back Fort Lauderdale as a nonstop option beginning March 11. Bad news is it appears to only operate on Saturdays.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 2:56 PM

Southwest Airlines adds nonstop flights to and from San Antonio for 'peak season'

https://www.mysanantonio.com/busines...P-CP-Spotlight

On Friday morning, September 9, Southwest Airlines announced a new string of nonstop flights destined to depart from San Antonio International Airport in spring 2023.

Spring is a peak travel season for the Dallas-based airliner. To accommodate this, Southwest is rolling out new nonstop flights during this travel season to popular destinations in Mexico and the U.S.

From March 9 through April 10, the airliner will operate nonstop service to 20 destinations. High-traffic cities that will soon be easier to access from the Alamo City include Cancun, Denver, Orlando, Chicago, Phoenix, St. Louis, and Tampa.

In tandem with this announcement, Southwest Airlines has announced that Saturday flights to Fort Lauderdale will resume during this window. Service to Cancun will also specifically see an increase on both Saturdays and Sundays during this "peak season."

“We’re thrilled Southwest continues to increase and restore flights to and from its original hometown," said City of San Antonio Director of Airports Jesus H. Saenz in a press statement. "San Antonio and the surrounding region have grown considerably, especially during the pandemic, and these increases provide more opportunities to see our beautiful city in addition to other top destinations."

San Antonio International Airport is one of several airports that will see a rise in nonstop flights this upcoming spring.

Earlier this year, the Texas airline announced a new ticket booking feature Wanna Getaway Plus, which features new fare with transferrable flight credits and more flexibility.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 2:33 AM

Airport monitors noise levels as it plans for expansion and new air traffic technology

https://sanantonioreport.org/airport...ic-technology/

Officials have spent millions of dollars modifying almost 1,600 homes and apartments on the North Side to temper the roar of aircraft arrivals and takeoffs at San Antonio International Airport.

Permanent noise monitoring terminals also were installed in areas surrounding the airport and more upgrades are on the way, along with additional grant money for the facility.

This fall, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is introducing a system that soon could affect the way residents experience noise coming from the airport.

To address the impact of air traffic growth and improve safety, the FAA plans to incorporate the use of global positioning system technology to move aircraft more efficiently in and out of the airspace surrounding the San Antonio International Airport.

Known as performance-based navigation (PBN), the system when it’s integrated will mean some flight corridors are narrowed from as much as four miles wide to one mile.

“Is that a big deal? If you live underneath it, it might be, because the concentration [of flights] … has now changed,” said the airport’s Noise Officer Josh Heiss, speaking to the Airport Advisory Commission on Tuesday.

Flight paths could also change, leading people on the ground to see and hear more or less aircraft overhead than they previously did.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 12:55 PM
JACKinBeantown

SAT ranked #7 in JD Power's large airport rankings. Actually #9 because #4 and #6 were ties. (Number nine... number nine...)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...dy/ar-AA124WI9

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 2:03 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
SAT ranked #7 in JD Power's large airport rankings. Actually #9 because #4 and #6 were ties. (Number nine... number nine...)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...dy/ar-AA124WI9
I'm going to take this opportunity to maybe go against the grain on this forum and say I've never not enjoyed flying out of SAT. Last time I flew I was from my downtown area home to standing at my gate waiting to board in under 30 minutes (during a relatively busy time of day). At my large coastal city destination, it took more than that to just get to the airport, then by the time you navigate the huge airport, do security and all that, it probably took an hour and a half total. Plus you often have to wait on the tarmac for a takeoff slot. It's clean, I've never had to fight anyone for a urinal, and even though I usually bring my own food, I think the restaurants they have are a pretty cool selection of local options (by airport standards).

I think the ticket hall at SAT is dope and will be sad when it's demolished. I think having a large number of nonstop international flights is incredibly overrated (how often are y'all flying to Paris???). It's just an easy airport to fly in and out of. I really don't give a shit if I have to change planes in Atlanta or wherever sometimes. Most major destinations in the continental US you can get to with a direct flight if that's really important to you.

Granted, I only fly a couple times a year for pleasure (I am not a business traveler). But so are most people at the airport. Yeah there's no lounges, again, who gives a shit, I'm at the airport for like an hour at the absolute most anyway. The new terminal(s) will be nice, terminal A has felt crowded before. Better transit connections would be great. But I'm always struck by how relatively stress free SAT is compared to wherever I'm flying to. Medium sized airports rule.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
I'm going to take this opportunity to maybe go against the grain on this forum and say I've never not enjoyed flying out of SAT. Last time I flew I was from my downtown area home to standing at my gate waiting to board in under 30 minutes (during a relatively busy time of day). At my large coastal city destination, it took more than that to just get to the airport, then by the time you navigate the huge airport, do security and all that, it probably took an hour and a half total. Plus you often have to wait on the tarmac for a takeoff slot. It's clean, I've never had to fight anyone for a urinal, and even though I usually bring my own food, I think the restaurants they have are a pretty cool selection of local options (by airport standards).

I think the ticket hall at SAT is dope and will be sad when it's demolished. I think having a large number of nonstop international flights is incredibly overrated (how often are y'all flying to Paris???). It's just an easy airport to fly in and out of. I really don't give a shit if I have to change planes in Atlanta or wherever sometimes. Most major destinations in the continental US you can get to with a direct flight if that's really important to you.

Granted, I only fly a couple times a year for pleasure (I am not a business traveler). But so are most people at the airport. Yeah there's no lounges, again, who gives a shit, I'm at the airport for like an hour at the absolute most anyway. The new terminal(s) will be nice, terminal A has felt crowded before. Better transit connections would be great. But I'm always struck by how relatively stress free SAT is compared to wherever I'm flying to. Medium sized airports rule.
I concur with all of this. I fly into see my family in New Braunfels/SA quite often. Previously have used ABIA as my airport of choice, but as of recent have been choosing SA. With ABIA becoming more or less a mess at the times of day I usually fly, SA is a better, more pleasant experience. Security is ALWAYS a breeze. There's plenty of food/drink options if I'm there early enough, and gates are never more than a 2 minute walk from security. I live in Denver, so I just need a good selection of departure times, which between Southwest and United, my two airlines of choice, I have usually between 6 and 8 options on any given day. And pricing has moderated over the last 4 years since I moved to Denver, so I usually never even think about looking at Austin anymore for price comparison.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 6:31 PM

Completely agree with you all. I come back home about 7-10 times a year and it's always an easy experience to get from the airport to downtown. I always know when I'm home when driving down 281 and seeing all the greenery near the Quarry and then the developments coming into downtown. Can't be beat!

I beg to differ on the restroom part in Terminal B. Always taken! Other than that, it's a simple airport that will get me to the major cities I need to get to. International flights will come, but the growth issues being seen out of AUS makes me appreciate SAT even more. I used to travel out of AUS all the time, but now avoid it at all costs. But that's just me.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 2:35 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
I concur with all of this. I fly into see my family in New Braunfels/SA quite often. Previously have used ABIA as my airport of choice, but as of recent have been choosing SA. With ABIA becoming more or less a mess at the times of day I usually fly, SA is a better, more pleasant experience. Security is ALWAYS a breeze. There's plenty of food/drink options if I'm there early enough, and gates are never more than a 2 minute walk from security. I live in Denver, so I just need a good selection of departure times, which between Southwest and United, my two airlines of choice, I have usually between 6 and 8 options on any given day. And pricing has moderated over the last 4 years since I moved to Denver, so I usually never even think about looking at Austin anymore for price comparison.
Honestly I really don't get folks who choose to fly out of Austin. I did once on a London-Austin flight because the fare was too good. But for a domestic flight, a 90 minute drive is pretty unreasonable for anything but a hugely discounted fare. As usual people vastly underestimate the cost of driving, plus the intangible cost of having to deal with I35. Even if Austin had the direct flight and SAT didn't, I still would prefer to change planes in Dallas than make the drive.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 9:23 AM

We have two small children, so my wife's biggest complaint is the lack of direct flights because layovers and changing planes can be killer when the little ones have the attention span of a gnat.

I do like the convenience of getting into and out of our airport and its closeness to downtown. But I've been to a ton of other airports and wished we had wider concourses, more natural lighting, and more food options. Just in our state, Hobby and Love have way more restaurants, and Love has so much more natural light. It's gorgeous on the inside.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio