HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 1:41 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

I remain impressed with this one. It's much better than I expected.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:20 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I remain impressed with this one. It's much better than I expected.
I agree!

It’s clearly visible top to bottom from my place and now has two bright red aviation warning beacons on top, making it more noticeable at night.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 8:14 PM

not a ton of progress on the base, but the tower is very close to finished! some guardrails missing here and there.

Last edited by mthd; Feb 2, 2020 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 12:37 AM

Simple can be beautiful.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 7:49 PM

This shot is stunning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthd View Post
not a ton of progress on the base, but the tower is very close to finished! some guardrails missing here and there.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 4:06 AM

Beautiful. I can't wait for it to be occupied with people so it can light up the skyline at night

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 3:57 PM

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 7:33 PM

Quote:
40-story residential tower at former S.F. Goodwill site begins leasing
By Laura Waxmann – Real Estate Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Feb 11, 2020, 6:41am PST Updated 43 minutes ago

A 40-story residential tower rising from the site of a former Goodwill building at the intersection of Van Ness Avenue and Mission Street is nearing completion, with leasing starting Tuesday.

Roughly 1,000 people are expected to eventually occupy the 550-unit building, which could be move-in ready as early as May. The building, dubbed Fifteen Fifty, comes with 40,000 square feet of amenities, including a, 5,600-square-foot dog park on the fifth floor and dog washing station in the basement.

Homes at Fifteen Fifty range from studio apartments — which are hitting the market at $3,500 — to three-bedroom apartments, with rents starting at $9,900. Rents for the building’s one-bedroom apartments start at $4,550 and two-bedroom apartments are priced at $6,400.

The building also features four penthouse units, for which prices have not been released. Twenty percent of Fifteen Fifty’s apartments are earmarked for affordable housing . . . .
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...ZG1SSFZQIn0%3D

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 3:00 AM

^ F this city.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 11:29 PM

Studios starting at $3,500?! Anyone who pays that much for a studio is fucking stupid.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Studios starting at $3,500?! Anyone who pays that much for a studio is fucking stupid.
Or... they have no other choice?

Implying someone is stupid for paying market-rate rent (regardless of how absurd it sounds) is basically saying it's the fault of the people who need a place to live.

It's stupid to shame someone for paying rent, regardless of whether you think it's too much money. It's stupid to think anyone other than the banks, financiers, real estate agents are ok with the cost of living here.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Not if you can walk your dog on the 5th floor and let it sh*t/p*ss on the building . . . and never have to go outside and mix with the bums on the sidewalk.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Feb 13, 2020 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
Or... they have no other choice?

Implying someone is stupid for paying market-rate rent (regardless of how absurd it sounds) is basically saying it's the fault of the people who need a place to live.

It's stupid to shame someone for paying rent, regardless of whether you think it's too much money. It's stupid to think anyone other than the banks, financiers, real estate agents are ok with the cost of living here.
My sister has a gorgeous, large two bedroom in Pac Heights (with a parking space) and pays just just a little bit more than this studio in an inferior location.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 9:44 PM

Quote:
My sister has a gorgeous, large two bedroom in Pac Heights (with a parking space) and pays just just a little bit more than this studio in an inferior location.
it all depends on your priorities. we live in pac heights, in a beautiful old building, but no amenities, no services, and not walking distance to rail transit or (for most people) major employers.

1550 has all of those things, pools, dog parks, a ton of open space, party rooms, meeting rooms, someone to receive and store your packages, on top of a big gym, parking, etc etc. plus amazing views and the functionality of a brand new building.

it’s not the choice i’d make, but it’s not an inferior location nor is someone crazy (as a previous poster stated) if they choose to pay the asking prices. time and the market will tell.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 12:30 AM

^^When I came to San Francisco decades ago, it was a job transfer and I had to immediately go to work which was demanding and required me to drive (because I was working across the Bay). As far as I was concerned, having to spend 30-60 minutes searching for a parking space on the street when I got home from a difficult day was not an option. And niether was having my packages left on the street and possibly stolen. I didn't care about the pool or party room or gym (though in my younger years the spa was nice) but the 2 things mentioned were simply non-negotiable and, since I was buying rather than renting, so was a need to do significant renovation/redecoration before I could move in (or after if it required time because I sometimes worked long hours).

I bought new construction. I probably would have made more money by now renovating a Victorian or something, but I just needed a place to live that was "move-in ready" and made life simple. Many people feel this way, I believe, in a city of hard workers with long hours.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Again; market rate vs rent controlled (which I’m sure your sister has).

I’m also not trying to advocate for spending more than you have to but don’t think as many people are obsessed with having a car, multiple bedrooms, etc.

If anything I’m more upset by people who live in 1br apartments that still only pay $500 only because they’ve lived in one spot for 30years. Ironically, they thought they were overspending when they first locked it in. Shit’s all relative I guess.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
I’m more upset by people who live in 1br apartments . . . for 30years. Ironically, they thought they were overspending when they first locked it in. Shit’s all relative I guess.
I guess I really piss you off: 2 bedrooms x 40 years. And yeah, it did seem expensive at the time but I’d been warned by friends already living in the city and I did look in the East Bay (maybe my second choice was consumed by the Oakland Hills fire). Note: My condo fee has now exceeded my mortgage payment (refinanced twice) and that pisses ME off.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 5:10 AM
heavy user of walkability

Van Mission

Van Mission, anyone?

Quote:
... But if the 550 incoming residents of Fifteen Fifty don’t live in Van Mission, where do they live?

City planners have been referring to the area as the Hub, a historic reference to the intersection of four streetcar lines. As a residential district, it is too far north of the Mission, west of the South of Market district, south of Mid-Market and east of Hayes Valley to annex itself into any of these homes.

The sales brochure devotes several pages to the new name. “Introducing Van Mission,” reads the headline: “Occupying the corner of South Van Ness and Mission Street, Fifteen Fifty is the focal point of Van Mission, a dynamic new destination. Centrally located, Van Mission is creating an identity of its own situated at the nexus of San Francisco’s most cherished neighborhoods — Hayes Valley, the Mission, SoMa and the Civic Center.”

... Arieff, for one, would have preferred to either leave it as the Hub or call it “Howard’s End” in honor of both the terminus of that street and the English novelist E.M. Forster.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
Van Mission, anyone?
No. Hub.

I do agree with the sentiment that this little part of town around the corner of S. Van Ness and Mission is distinct from both the Mission and SOMA and so maybe deserves a distinct designation, but it is tied into the greater area around Market & Van Ness and the general area we have been calling "The Hub".

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 8:35 AM

I refer to this part of the neighborhood as SOMA. Although, north of Market Street, I would refer to the area as Civic Center.

I think that it is too small to have its own neighborhood name.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive