HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
When I lived near redondo bch several yrs ago, I recall the backyard pool wasn't as useful around there as it would have been in the valley or further inland. Coastal LA tends to be always under the influence of the marine layer or what's a higher level version of the fog that SF is notorious for.

For ppl living further away from the coast, that ocean air is a form of natural AC. But for the beaches of LA, the cooler weather makes them less ideal for a hot summer resort vibe...as what's found in florida, the Caribbean or the southern Mediterranean. I notice many of the past days of this live cam of venice bch shows a lot of a marine layer.

https://youtu.be/vvOjJoSEFM0

^ The cooler coastal weather & lower humidity are now preferred by me. But when I was younger, I spent one summer several miles to the south in the cloudy marine weather of Long bch. I recall getting quite a sunburn....the lack of direct sun & heat misleads a person to assume that ultraviolet rays won't be bad

Regarding Long Beach, it is in the lee of the fairly tall Palos Verdes Hills (where Tiger Woods crashed his car), so the marine layer is often thinner and burns off earlier than the coastal cities on the other side of the hills, e.g. Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach etc. Long Beach is usually a few degrees warmer than the beach towns to the west on Santa Monica Bay. Long Beach faces San Pedro Bay to the south. However, during "Catalina eddies", sometimes the marine layer comes in from the south, so LB sometimes has a thick marine cloud layer like the towns on Santa Monica Bay. Also, the further south you go down the coast from Long Beach, into Orange County, the influence of the Palos Verdes Hills wanes, so south of Seal Beach a normal thick cool cloudy marine layer is found in places like Huntington Beach and Newport Beach and all the way down to San Clemente and into San Diego County beyond. The Marine layer is most common in May and June ("May Gray" and "June Gloom"). Sometimes it extends into mid July, but is much less common in August and September when even the beaches usually get sunny and warm in SoCal.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 27, 2022 at 6:33 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions