HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 4:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Those were the days, my friends

The way things were. Bittersweet nostalgia, gratitude for the passing of those days, or what not. Not restricted to skylines.

A little bit of theme music.
Video Link

here is one to get started. Remember Taverns (appropriate given the Mary Hopkins song), that staple of working-class Montreal? No women permitted? Pickled eggs and perhaps, pickled pork tongues?

dcmontreal
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 4:58 PM

Look like shit holes. Should be in the ugly thread

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 5:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

what a wonderful contribution! thanks!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 5:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Looking for, but can't find, videos of Super 2 flavoured milk commercials. Reminds me of youthful summer days at the campground.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 6:39 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

The old prairie coffee-houses, often named simply "Koffee Korner". Part coffee-house, part diner, part bar. Bakeries still exist with their offerings of coffee, but it's not the same.

Often built like this but dotted in villages.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.55983...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 7:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Look like shit holes. Should be in the ugly thread
One man's shit hole is another man's palace.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 7:40 PM

The wonderful thing about coffee houses and cafes "back in the day" was that they were great places to meet new people and exchange ideas. From good old political conversations, to talking about the weather, poetry readings, or just sucking up the ambience and watching the world go by.

Today you go to a cafe {ussually a boring change ie Starbucks} and no one talks or watches the crowds go by but just sit there with their eyes glued to the iphones. Even when people go in as a couple they rarely say a damn thing as they are too worried about missing their latest message or tweet. Our "social media" and all it's gadgets have made people decidedly unsocial..........they ttweet everyone and talk to no one.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 7:42 PM
BANNED

^^This!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
The wonderful thing about coffee houses and cafes "back in the day" was that they were great places to meet new people and exchange ideas. From good old political conversations, to talking about the weather, poetry readings, or just sucking up the ambience and watching the world go by.

Today you go to a cafe {ussually a boring change ie Starbucks} and no one talks or watches the crowds go by but just sit there with their eyes glued to the iphones. Even when people go in as a couple they rarely say a damn thing as they are too worried about missing their latest message or tweet. Our "social media" and all it's gadgets have made people decidedly unsocial..........they ttweet everyone and talk to no one.
i disagree.

People were always this way, now we just have a way to do it.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:04 PM
BANNED

People talked to each other more though despite a brief distraction with the daily news. Too many douchebags cannot even put their phone down to cross a f*ckin street, not realizing the light turned green.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The way things were. Bittersweet nostalgia, gratitude for the passing of those days, or what not. Not restricted to skylines.

A little bit of theme music.
Video Link

here is one to get started. Remember Taverns (appropriate given the Mary Hopkins song), that staple of working-class Montreal? No women permitted? Pickled eggs and perhaps, pickled pork tongues?

dcmontreal
I'm sure that piece of land is now some condo building named after the buildings it replaced. That tavern reminds me of the Station Hotel in Kitchener. I believe it has been knocked down now but as per the name it was next to the train station and the announcements of which train was approaching and where it was going was piped into the bar and patrons would have to quickly scramble and power drink the 'draft' that they had ordered. It was the kind of place free from beer snobbery. It was just beer and pickled eggs were the main food to eat. A salt shaker was available to add 'flavour' to the beer.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
People talked to each other more though despite a brief distraction with the daily news. Too many douchebags cannot even put their phone down to cross a f*ckin street, not realizing the light turned green.
This constant distraction is a new phenomenon I agree, but people weren't really more talkative with strangers before the advent of smart phones.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This constant distraction is a new phenomenon I agree, but people weren't really more talkative with strangers before the advent of smart phones.
Not sure about that, but even couples are immersed in their phones (at restaurants, that is so sad to watch).

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:36 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Not sure about that, but even couples are immersed in their phones (at restaurants, that is so sad to watch).

I dunno - is it really any worse than my parents who sit there in silence until their food comes then eat? I know I've been in situations where after spending an entire day doing stuff with someone just don't feel the need to chat. If it's single sided then it's very much obnoxious though.

I still like to go to certain bars and meet new people though, which is incredibly easy at the right places. So things aren't all that bad!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:41 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A few pictures (MUN Archives) of the end of an era, and though it is likely the second-most significant change ever in rural Newfoundland, it certainly gives the first-place cod moratorium a run for its money.

Post-Confederation, but before the Trans Canada Highway was built and provided our first reliable form of overland travel. Highways, called high or back roads here at the time, were little more than horse paths and every community on the island was instead serviced by the "coastal boat." Dozens of them circled the island ceaselessly and, in contrast to today's ferries, they almost all ended up in St. John's.

People would put on their Sunday best to catch the ferry...

And spend a few days shopping or looking for work in St. John's...

Boat travel was the norm - and I love being in a boat so much I think I would've very much enjoyed that. I love it perhaps even more than I love being in a tram.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:47 PM
BANNED

Nice, thanks for those.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 9:02 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Wow, rural Newfoundland females back then dressed almost like their Ukrainian counterparts (covered hair and strongly contrasted colours on their frocks and tops).

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 9:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

(Some of us still do, mistercorporate... lol; but seriously, a lot of old ladies with clear plastic scarves).

Throwback to when Switzerland's Celine Dion won the Eurovision Song Contest.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 9:48 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I dunno - is it really any worse than my parents who sit there in silence until their food comes then eat? I know I've been in situations where after spending an entire day doing stuff with someone just don't feel the need to chat.
You know how so much of what Hollywood does doesn't ring true? They consistently get accents and period hairstyles/fashion ridiculously wrong, and most of the tropes in most of the dreck made in movieland are as untrue to life as you can imagine.

And this is one of them. It's obviously the product of unhappy screenwriters. It shows up over and over again. Single guy/girl thinks about future with partner. Cut to older married couple sitting in restaurant not talking to each other. Presto! One portrayal of existential anguish produced by hell of domestic tedium served right up.

But it's ham-fisted and does no justice to the rich tapestry of shared knowledge, emotions and history that living with someone for a couple decades can produce. Sometimes you talk about stuff. Sometimes you laugh about stuff. Sometimes you sit there quietly, thinking of different things. To the outsider it may look like boredom, and sure, there are indeed moments waiting for the food to arrive that you wish you were somewhere else, but the idea that that moment serves as a blanket characterization of the entirety of a marriage is ridiculous.

I remember the exhilaration and terror of dating. Having conversations like that for years and years would be exhausting. A guy I know in his late forties had a brief marriage when he was younger, but since then he's worked all over Russia in the mining industry while living a nutty bachelor life. The last time I saw him in Toronto he spent our dinner bragging about his crazy romantic exploits in between trying to chat up the waitress with the most excruciatingly cheesy pickup lines. I was embarrassed for him, and embarrassed to be in his company. He was an alright guy in his twenties, but after two decades of "chasing tail" (I think he actually used that term--cringe!) he'd coarsened into a creepy cad.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 9:49 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

dcmontreal
Did people really eat pickled eggs?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada