HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 9:24 AM
lost philadelphian soul

would any one know about the status of this project on north Broad street.

2234 N Broad St Philadelphia, PA 19132 · 29 Units Apartment Multifamily Dormitory

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2234...a-PA/16743603/

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 10:42 AM
lost philadelphian soul

With the plan proposals along north broad street from Cecil B. Moore Ave to Lehigh Ave. is changing the look of this section of north broad street. there are a few holes that still need to be plugged. but they can be that drive from Lehigh to Cecil B Moore will not look as drab as has been for years. 2034 N broad tare down the 7-eleven and build a low rise apartment and reestablish the 7-eleven in the ground floor, the one thing that would be a problem is the Glover Washington Jr. mural on the build next to the parking lot. On the 2100 block where the old MAB paint store once stood and an old brownstone once stood is an empty lot that could be redeveloped. things are already happening on the 2200 block. Now if something could be done with that hardware store on the corner of Broad and Dauphin on the 2300 block that structure would look nice if were revitalized, and not the dump it looks like now, also I hope someone would buy the old electric company build at 2309-13 that was the Manna bible institute there could be some potential there. then there is the two empty lots at 2334 and 2338 two filler development here would get rid of raggedy cyclone gate and a trash strewn lot. then there is a whole block stretch on the west side of the 2400 block from York to Cumberland that has been sitting there for years. just maybe once 2700 broad the old botany 500 building get it make over and 94 unit complex get done on the 2500 block please i hope they brought the adjacent auto repair shop and used car dealer man those two are eye sores, the Getty gas station can go the and Sunoco at Broad and Lehigh. but leave the Dunkin alone. with all the permits being given out to either redevelop or demolish structures on the back streets of north Philly bringing up the quality of your main street should be top priority. all these open opportunities would be low-rise structure but would do wonder to improve the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 10:44 AM
lost philadelphian soul

this is the site of the old bakers funeral home. Another New Apartment Building Planned for North Broad Street, North of the Temple Campus

https://www.rentphilly.com/another-n...temple-campus/

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 10:48 AM
lost philadelphian soul

Does anyone know the status of the blue Horizon project. is it on hold, dead or what. and does anyone know if Temple is trying to buy that burn out church next to the lots they already own one the 1500 block of Broad street.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:23 AM

Speaking of things happening along North Broad, the CVS at the corner of Broad and Girard (922 North Broad) is now closed. I walked past it earlier today. With its large lot size, CMX-4 zoning, and location in Francisville, I would expect a sizable project to be announced sometime this year!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Speaking of things happening along North Broad, the CVS at the corner of Broad and Girard (922 North Broad) is now closed. I walked past it earlier today. With its large lot size, CMX-4 zoning, and location in Francisville, I would expect a sizable project to be announced sometime this year!
Exciting. Hopefully, it gets a quality project. It’s a unique location because of how central it is on Broad St. But it’s also surrounded by a lot of low income housing and their commercial needs may be different than the people who would live in the high rise. It’ll be interesting how the developers navigate those combinations of factors.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Equnox isn’t just a “gym”, like Louis Vuitton isn’t just a “store.” Trust me.
Can't tell if this is satire, but it made me laugh.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Can't tell if this is satire, but it made me laugh.
Same.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 7:06 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
I don't think the Bloomingdales Outlet in Liberty Place does that well (though even pre-COVID I don't think anywhere in Liberty Place does that great and I believe one of the major retailors will be leaving soon) so I'd be surprised to see them open a full store, even assuming they were able to find the right building for it. That said, the Macy's and Nordstrom Rack do great, so maybe that's more of an indictment of Liberty Place than anything else. (As an aside, I don't think it's quite large enough for a full-sized department store, but the Walgreens space at Broad and Chestnut would be a great location for something like a Saks off Fifth, IMO.)

Yeah, it's a nice get for us (though somewhat overdue).

Yea space is a big issue for a full department stores, I can't think of anywhere that has ~100k square feet of retail space. Maybe the Walgreens on Broad if they expanded up another floor or into the basement. Or potentially the entirety of the Cheesecake Factory Building on Walnut. There is of course several blank slate opportunities Eastern Market Street though.

I still find it odd how retailers don't seem to catch on in CC. For example, the Bloomingdales and Nordstrom in KoP are among the top stores in their entire portfolio (earnings per SF). I know there is more money there, but why do we think full line stores wouldn't last in CC? Is it the risk? Rent? slower sales? Lack of interest?

Also, not to make this all about retail, but I was sad to see Michael's didn't take over the AC Moore space on Broad. That would have been a nice addition to Broad.

And agree, Philadelphia is long overdue for an Equinox. I heard in the rumor vine the brand is also scoping out space on The Main Line and SJ. That could be 3 locations in the next few years...

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Jan 20, 2021 at 7:08 PM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 8:05 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Yea space is a big issue for a full department stores, I can't think of anywhere that has ~100k square feet of retail space. Maybe the Walgreens on Broad if they expanded up another floor or into the basement. Or potentially the entirety of the Cheesecake Factory Building on Walnut. There is of course several blank slate opportunities Eastern Market Street though.

I still find it odd how retailers don't seem to catch on in CC. For example, the Bloomingdales and Nordstrom in KoP are among the top stores in their entire portfolio (earnings per SF). I know there is more money there, but why do we think full line stores wouldn't last in CC? Is it the risk? Rent? slower sales? Lack of interest?

Also, not to make this all about retail, but I was sad to see Michael's didn't take over the AC Moore space on Broad. That would have been a nice addition to Broad.

And agree, Philadelphia is long overdue for an Equinox. I heard in the rumor vine the brand is also scoping out space on The Main Line and SJ. That could be 3 locations in the next few years...
I think the big reason stores don't catch on in Philly or the Tristate area has to do with the "suburbanite thinking" "City is bad, I will get mugged in city after dark" City is full of ______"

New York has seemed to shake off a lot of that fear, but Philly and Wilmington for example still have a strong bad reputation. There are some people who's families left Wilmington/Philly in 1950 and they never returned, and now on Facebook I see so many people saying how bad cities are and that they are Hell holes, mind you these same people have never stepped foot in the city and their parents are to blame for the negative impact they had on them.

Cities would be way stronger today if it wasn't for the flight in the 50's.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 9:31 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I think the big reason stores don't catch on in Philly or the Tristate area has to do with the "suburbanite thinking" "City is bad, I will get mugged in city after dark" City is full of ______"

New York has seemed to shake off a lot of that fear, but Philly and Wilmington for example still have a strong bad reputation. There are some people who's families left Wilmington/Philly in 1950 and they never returned, and now on Facebook I see so many people saying how bad cities are and that they are Hell holes, mind you these same people have never stepped foot in the city and their parents are to blame for the negative impact they had on them.

Cities would be way stronger today if it wasn't for the flight in the 50's.
A shame Philadelphia was really started to shake off that image and created better suburban connections up until the pandemic. Covid, along with all the other problems of 2020 set everything back quite a bit. Lets hope the next few years rebuild what was broken in 2020.

Electing a new mayor, DA, hiring new police commissioner are a good starting point for repairing the damage of 2020, and hoping everyone is back in the office by years end.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 9:35 PM
Chris

Looks like selling the Hahnemann real estate portfolio is presenting challenges. Hesitation is pandemic related since its a huge undertaking.

I want to see some of those parking lots filled in with towers, notably 15th street. Condos, apartments, hotel, life sciences research centers, etc. Development is inevitable, I just hope its an organized, high quality, highest use plan, rather than a piecemeal project here and there. (unless they are major projects).

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ll-influx.html

"Efforts to sell a vast portfolio of properties once occupied by Hahnemann University Hospital in Philadelphia have so far fallen flat, prompting one of the firms marketing a portion of the real estate to reevaluate its approach."

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Looks like selling the Hahnemann real estate portfolio is presenting challenges. Hesitation is pandemic related since its a huge undertaking.

I want to see some of those parking lots filled in with towers, notably 15th street. Condos, apartments, hotel, life sciences research centers, etc. Development is inevitable, I just hope its an organized, high quality, highest use plan, rather than a piecemeal project here and there. (unless they are major projects).

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ll-influx.html

"Efforts to sell a vast portfolio of properties once occupied by Hahnemann University Hospital in Philadelphia have so far fallen flat, prompting one of the firms marketing a portion of the real estate to reevaluate its approach."
Is part of this the massive lot at 15th and Cherry?

That site might be able to support a supertall. It's just barely out of the City Hall view height limit.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Is part of this the massive lot at 15th and Cherry?

That site might be able to support a supertall. It's just barely out of the City Hall view height limit.
The Sixers should look at this lot for a stadium and tower. Although they want free land given to them from the city so I doubt they go for it haha.

Just for fun, here's the WFC dropped in on the lot (yes it would require demolishing the original beautiful Hahnemann building. It's the prefect size to fit a stadium, 676 access, BSL express station and ample parking...

A stadium here would be a game-changer for this under utilized area that desperately needs foot traffic. Also the combination of having the convention center across the street would allow for mega events. Cap 676 here and give the stadium a front lawn.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
The Sixers should look at this lot for a stadium and tower. Although they want free land given to them from the city so I doubt they go for it haha.

Just for fun, here's the WFC dropped in on the lot (yes it would require demolishing the original beautiful Hahnemann building. It's the prefect size to fit a stadium, 676 access, BSL express station and ample parking...

A stadium here would be a game-changer for this under utilized area that desperately needs foot traffic. Also the combination of having the convention center across the street would allow for mega events. Cap 676 here and give the stadium a front lawn.

I realize this is just your render, but this is the worst idea I've seen in a long time. Preserve the Hahnemann building. Build the stadium at 30th Street or on some other unused lot.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 10:32 PM

Wrong massive lot. The one I'm talking about is in the bottom left of the photo.

While I think a Sixers stadium at this site is a terrible idea, I think a wonderful alternative would be removing the horrible interchange at the top left of the photo and putting the stadium there.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 4:01 PM

Quote:
A shame Philadelphia was really started to shake off that image and created better suburban connections up until the pandemic. Covid, along with all the other problems of 2020 set everything back quite a bit. Lets hope the next few years rebuild what was broken in 2020.

Electing a new mayor, DA, hiring new police commissioner are a good starting point for repairing the damage of 2020, and hoping everyone is back in the office by years end.
I think Nutter did a lot to reshape that image with the large events he pushed for the city. Kenney hasn't followed in that path and it looks kind of uncomfortably odd in the pandemic reality of modern day (imagine if we'd gotten the 2020 Olympic bid!), but things like the DNC, Pope visit, NFL Draft, Made in America, etc. all drove suburbanites in and I think really made a difference in how the suburbs are viewing the city. We'll see how things progress in the near-term, but everything around 2026 should hopefully further boost that connection (https://www.philadelphia250.us/).

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:45 PM

Industrial Demolition on North 2nd Street in NoLibs

Quote:
A reader reached out the other day, noting some ongoing demolition activity on N. 2nd Street in Northern Liberties, just south of Poplar Street. It turns out, we told you that this was on the horizon a little over a year ago, when we shared the news that 814-826 N. 2nd St. would be redeveloped.

With an eye toward adding to the mix in both regards, we told you that an apartment building was planned for this site, with retail on the first floor. Looking at a permit from a little after we wrote about the property, the plans call for 78 apartments and a 5,000 sqft fresh food store on the first floor.
Current site:

Old Rendering:

Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...rth-2nd-street

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:47 PM

New Neighbor Proposed for New Frankford Avenue Building

Current building going up on Frankford Ave:

Back of the building:

Aerial/massing of new building:

Rendering of new building:

Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...venue-building

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:51 PM

28-Unit, Mixed-Use Building Rising in Kensington

Current progress:

Rendering:

Quote:
Back in December of 2019, we told you about a garage that was being demolished on Berks St. just west of Front St. At that time, no construction permits had been issued, but a zoning variance had been granted in 2016 that gave approval for a 32-unit building on the industrial-zoned (I-2) site at 171 W. Berks St.

About 5 months later, construction permits were issued for a 5-story, 28-unit building that included a ground floor retail space, 9 car parking spots, and 22 bicycle stalls.
Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/28-unit...in-kensington/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development