HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 3:59 AM
Exit 298

What are your thoughts on the Utah Wollen Mills Building circus?

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...fter-119-years

Evidently, the business is getting evicted because of a "landlord dispute." Which I thought was weird, because I thought UWM owned their building after the buyout in the 1970s for Crossroads Plaza. And also why the building wasn't demolished as part of the City Creek Mall project.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50974159...o-be-torn-down

But now, the KSL article says the UWM building was damaged in the 2020 Magna quake and the building's owner Property Reserve Inc. (the LDS church) is demolishing the building and kicking them out.

How did PRI end up owning the building?

And (putting a tin-foil hat on my head)... have they found the UWM building an annoyance (that they didn't sell out for the mall) and are using this an excuse to win a petty fight? (/tin foil hat)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 4:03 AM

Interesting. I worked on a design for that site a while ago.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 6:43 AM

An opportunity for more height maybe? A man can dream.

EDIT: According to ksl.com "It appears that it will be the second building to be demolished because of the earthquake." The other building they reference is the historic Sears House in the Liberty Wells neighborhood. Are they only referring to Salt Lake City proper or did KSL just not do their research? The West Lake STEM junior high school in West Valley was also a casualty of the earthquake, easily the biggest one in fact.

Also, always love KSL comments, like the guy saying they're fleeing a "dying" city center. More proof that KSL commenters never go downtown, lol.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 3:36 PM
Lahaina Strong

Seems awfully convenient that this historic building was damaged beyond repair 4 years ago and they've just decided on that now.

I want details about the damage, I don't buy it.

Plenty of other sites for towers.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 6:31 PM

I'm sure the site itself has a historic value just like all of the property that City Creek sits on. However, there is very little to nothing remaining of the original physical aspects of the original structure that would give it any historical value. It's historic beauty was destroyed many decades ago. What remains is not in any way shape or form The Clyde or The Deseret/First Security Bank Building.

In fact, I remember it being announced to great fanfare long before the past four years that the building was to be completely remodeled, but somehow it never happened. I've been anxiously waiting and hoping they would get rid of that ugly remodeled facade ever since the announcement. Unfortunately, unlike the Dinwoody there is nothing of great historical value remaining on the interior other than the longtime occupants themselves. As far as the aesthetics of the building itself goes, I'm sure that whatever replaces it will be far more useful and attractive. Perhaps, a multi-use retail/residential tower.

The Store itself has been occupied and run by the Stringham Family since 1905, which would give it its remaining historic significance. They'll probably get a lot more space at a much more profitable cost at the Fashion Place Mall location. It would be great if in the future The Utah Woolen Mills would be able to return with a second satellite retail location.

The original Utah Woolen Mills Building. https://jacobbarlow.com/2018/12/24/utah-woolen-mills/

Last edited by delts145; Apr 14, 2024 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 9:42 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
An opportunity for more height maybe? A man can dream.

EDIT: According to ksl.com "It appears that it will be the second building to be demolished because of the earthquake." The other building they reference is the historic Sears House in the Liberty Wells neighborhood. Are they only referring to Salt Lake City proper or did KSL just not do their research? The West Lake STEM junior high school in West Valley was also a casualty of the earthquake, easily the biggest one in fact.

Also, always love KSL comments, like the guy saying they're fleeing a "dying" city center. More proof that KSL commenters never go downtown, lol.
If you read any comments related to Salt Lake City from any of the news stations on, say, Facebook, you'd think downtown was 1970s-era Detroit or something lmao

As for the Utah Woolen Mills, it appears they have only ever leased the building. Back when City Creek was being built, they were asked to move but didn't and since they had a long-term lease, they were allowed to stay.

My guess is that the earthquake "damage" is being used now as an excuse to get 'em out.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 10:14 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
If you read any comments related to Salt Lake City from any of the news stations on, say, Facebook, you'd think downtown was 1970s-era Detroit or something lmao

As for the Utah Woolen Mills, it appears they have only ever leased the building. Back when City Creek was being built, they were asked to move but didn't and since they had a long-term lease, they were allowed to stay.

My guess is that the earthquake "damage" is being used now as an excuse to get 'em out.
Do you have any idea what will replace that building?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 10:24 PM

I'm more upset about loosing UWM to the suburbs then the building they occupy. Hopefully as downtown and our tech sector continue to develop, there will be enough demand for them to either move back or open another location I'm the future.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:07 AM

I drove past 1060 E 100 S today and it looks like demolition on that little western portion of the building is about to begin. There is fencing up and construction equipment. I am excited for this project

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Images courtesy Google and Architecture Belgique. Streetside Post-conversion of medical offices into residential

https://buildingsaltlake.com/two-dee...ng-commission/

Current appearance before conversion. https://buildingsaltlake.com/two-dee...ng-commission/

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:25 AM
They all float down here

I'm glad they're keeping the larger portion of the building.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Do you have any idea what will replace that building?
It's most likely going to be something like a 12 to 16 story condo tower.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Smith said he wants to revitalize downtown.
This whole area is screaming for an arena and entertainment district, and of course incorporating the Rio Grande Project into the arena construction.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:51 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I'm glad they're keeping the larger portion of the building.
Me too. I wouldn’t have thought this building would have been renovated in this way but I like when the potential is seen for an older building that may not be considered attractive by a lay person and it’s preserved and improved for a new project. I’m not always against tearing down and rebuilding but often seems a waste to tear down buildings with good bones.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:42 PM
Space Magi

New details on Station Center, which will now be called the "Rio Grande District". No mention of the RGP, which is disappointing.

https://slc.primegov.com/Portal/Meet...emplateId=3472

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:59 PM

Is that tall thing just for fun, or an actual proposal?

Edit: Yeah, just a vision. We'll see what actually happens

Edit 2: As a reminder, it's this vision, which would be amazing

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:22 PM
Space Magi

Imagine that vision with ~55 more acres of land and no at-grade heavy rail crossings. That's the RGP.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:05 PM
They all float down here

I am sure it's all conceptual, which means it could be vastly scaled down when built.

Old Posted Today, 2:53 PM
Space Magi

Downtown photos taken with 300mm lens from Sandy, ~10.5 miles away.

Downtown SLC Afternoon by Astro-magi, on Flickr

Downtown SLC night by Astro-magi, on Flickr

Bonus, U of U:

University of Utah by Astro-magi, on Flickr

Last edited by Atlas; Today at 3:42 PM. Reason: Moved post to sports thread

Old Posted Today, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
I drove past 1060 E 100 S today and it looks like demolition on that little western portion of the building is about to begin. There is fencing up and construction equipment. I am excited for this project
Hopefully there is space for George's so I can get a Roundhouse again... that was over 20 years ago..

Old Posted Today, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I heard from a legislator that the plan is to demolish Abravanel Hall and the Raddisson and put 200 W and 300 W underground between Main Street and the Delta Center. This will create a pedestrian promenade along South Temple that will be lined with entertainment and shopping.

No idea what that means for the Delta Center. Makes me think that they want to rebuild it in-place.

No doubt big changes are coming! I posted this below over on the NHL/MBA thread, but thought I would also post it here. I would prefer discussion of the possible changes I think are coming for downtown be brought up here on this thread.

I can see a lot of changes coming in and around the Delta Center, including demoing the Raddison. However, I'll believe it when I see it, that they would go so far as to demo Abravanel. It is considered one of the most acoustically perfect concert halls in the world. Not to mention demoing the name of a legendary conductor. The cost to replace that Hall would be astronomical. Does anyone know just the cost alone to replace the hundreds of feet of gold leaf at today's prices? Of course, the name Abravanel would have to remain prominent on a new bragging rights lavish Hall. I imagine the replacement costs would be in the hundreds of millions. Even more unbelievable would be the LDS Church giving up their dreams of expanding their Headquarters Vatican-style Campus to the West. I think there will be a lot of other opportunities that make more sense unless because of the Olympics, the Federal Government is going to throw in a few billion for vanity's sake. Even if billions are going to be pumped into these CBD, life changing developments I think there are better options.

Edit: On second thought I shouldn't be too quick to dismiss 'the skies the limit' when it comes to The Church's deep pockets. It could be that they are thinking about moving those expansion concepts to another location and refocusing the current campus in a bit of a different direction. One thing is for sure, this whole rumor and guessing game is getting even bigger than the guessing game before City Creek's creation.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West