HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 7:23 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
I have a ton of pictures I need to put up! thanks for the tour...so how tall is the NW place bldg? Isn't it like a skyscraper? Itll look kinda odd all by itself next to the NW Blvd-US95 interchange, imo.
NW Place will be two 3 story office buildings. Personally, I'm disappointed by its size. It is at one of the prime locations in town at US95 and NW Blvd. I wasn't expecting a skyscraper, but something between 5-8 stories would have been better.

(I have a little knowledge about the site---my friend's dad owned the Mad Mary's restaraunt that used to be there. When the dad died, my friend sold the lot for a hefty profit and is living large with his own 5,000 sq. ft. house in Hayden---and he's only in his early 20s. Hopefully he doesn't blow through his money too quick.)
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 7:57 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Sweet pics jimtheman. When you have the rest of the pics you should create a thread for them. Coeur d'Alene is one of a kind.
Have you eaten at Bonzai? I love that restaurant, the Spider Crab is yummy.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 12:43 AM
Honored Member

Question Why 6 stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthemanincda View Post
I assume you want information on newly constructed/planned hotels, not hotels that have been built already, so here's what I know [Most of the bigger projects in town residential, commercial, or mixed-use]:

*In the Riverstone Development (Cd'A), there will be two hotels:
1. Hampton Inn and Suites (currently under construction)-100 room, 6-story hotel
2. Marriott Residence Inn (planned)

*At The Pointe at Post Falls, there are two hotels planned. Nothing has been announced and construction would start in a year or two.

*Two years ago, Duane Hagadone, the owner of the Coeur d'Alene Resort proposed building a second tower across the street from the Resort Plaza Shops and connecting it via skywalk. There were some discussions with the city after he wanted to add a community garden. The hotel tower proposal was later withdrawn after Hagadone didn't get the concessions that he wanted, but the 2nd Resort tower will be built in the future (may take 5-10 more years, though).

*Silverwood Theme Park (20 miles north of Cd'A), the largest theme park in the Northwest (draws over 500,000 visitors a year) is planning on building a hotel in the future.

*Holiday Inn Express in Hayden (opened a few years ago, but it is a nice little attraction)-connected to Triple Play Family Fun Center, which has bowling, go-karts, laser tag, bumper boats, 2 minature golf courses, and an indoor waterpark which features over 25,000 sq. ft. with a tropical themed wave pool, jacuzzi, a children's lagoon, 2-story play structure with tipping bucket and a 60ft. tower with multiple tube and body slides.

I'll be taking some pictures in town this weekend. You're welcome to use them if you'd like. If you want to know about existing hotels, I'd be glad to provide you with some more information.
I realize you neither deisnged or own the Hampton Inn development, but any ideas why it is 6 stories tall, with only 100 rooms? Don't get me wrong, it sounds nice, but usually hotels with 6 floors are more likely to have 200-300 rooms, at least from those I've stayed in and seen in various cities throughout the U.S.

Hilton and Marriott seem to be picking up the pace of putting their hotels in the regional hubs. Glad to see CDA getting a Marriott property as well

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 6:55 AM
Smile :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
I realize you neither deisnged or own the Hampton Inn development, but any ideas why it is 6 stories tall, with only 100 rooms? Don't get me wrong, it sounds nice, but usually hotels with 6 floors are more likely to have 200-300 rooms, at least from those I've stayed in and seen in various cities throughout the U.S.

Hilton and Marriott seem to be picking up the pace of putting their hotels in the regional hubs. Glad to see CDA getting a Marriott property as well
This Hampton to which you are referring has a pretty small foot print, that is, compared to its height. This hotel isn't like a complex or a big building; it is pretty much a rectangle.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 6:59 AM
Smile :)

Hey Jim, where was this building supposed to go?

I thought this was at NW Blvd and US 95. Know anything about it? I hope it still is going in!!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 7:19 AM

^ Thought that was the original Riverstone Tower that's being replaced by the four smaller towers.

Thanks for the construction pics update tour. Sweet!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 10:38 PM

CDA is looking great...of course. Thanks for sharing the photos. I love the front of McEuen. Riverside looks like it is going to be a monster development. What is the dollar amount they are pegging on that project? Also, isn't the Parkside the first 20 story building in Idaho?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 7:21 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boizean View Post
^ Thought that was the original Riverstone Tower that's being replaced by the four smaller towers.

Thanks for the construction pics update tour. Sweet!
Sorry for the late reply, I was gone all weekend.

You're right Boizean, it's the original Riverstone Tower proposal. Last I heard, the sides were cut off of the building and its height was decreased...now there are supposed to be 4 165' towers, but as always, we'll see what happens in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post

That's a good observation. Cody was right on with his comments.

As I was taking the pics, I was counting the floors, and I think there were only 5 floors, which would put around 22 rooms per floor and a few less on the ground level if there are 100 rooms. I got the 6 floor & 100 room stats from a newspaper article. It looks like they were a little off...

Last edited by jimthemanincda; Jul 3, 2007 at 7:57 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 7:28 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidaho View Post
CDA is looking great...of course. Thanks for sharing the photos. I love the front of McEuen. Riverside looks like it is going to be a monster development. What is the dollar amount they are pegging on that project? Also, isn't the Parkside the first 20 story building in Idaho?
I'll have to check on the Riverstone project dollar amount tomorrow.

According to Emporis, Parkside will be the second building in the state that is 20 stories (US Bank in Boise is 20 stories according to Emporis). Even though Parkside will be 2 stories higher than the Cd'A Resort, it will be 3 feet shorter. That will give Cd'A the 2nd and 3rd tallest buildings in the state until work in Boise gets underway for a few of their new tower proposals.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 8:04 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidaho View Post
CDA is looking great...of course. Thanks for sharing the photos. I love the front of McEuen. Riverside looks like it is going to be a monster development. What is the dollar amount they are pegging on that project?
Here are some stats on Riverstone:

160 acres
2,500 anticipated residents
5,000-6,000 will work there
5 acre park
6 acre lake
$475 million anticipated investment in Riverstone West (approximately 1/2 of Riverstone---the other 1/2 is called The Village at Riverstone, so the total project will be close to $1 billion)

I posted more in-depth info on Riverstone on previous pages in this thread if you want to check out what restaurants and businesses are moving there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Sweet pics jimtheman. When you have the rest of the pics you should create a thread for them. Coeur d'Alene is one of a kind.
Have you eaten at Bonzai? I love that restaurant, the Spider Crab is yummy.
Yes, I have eaten at Bonsai many times. Never had the Spider Crab there, though.

I'm looking forward to some of the new restaurants going in to the Riverstone project and other places around town.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
According to Emporis, Parkside will be the second building in the state that is 20 stories (US Bank in Boise is 20 stories according to Emporis).
I trust Boizean's Boise Project Thread more than Emporis. He lists the US Bank at 19 stories. So CDA will come through with Idaho's first 20, lets hope Boise can get the first 30 story back on track.

Thanks for the info, and keep those pictures coming. CDA is beautiful.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2007, 7:04 PM

Thanks eastidaho for the vote of confidence.

I have found inconsistencies in floor counts. It seems some buildings include a mechanical floor where others don't. US Bank in Boise has 18 windowed floors and a hidden executive conference room on a floor above (no windows), that makes 19. There's no room for a 20th floor above the conference room unless you count the roof.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2007, 5:33 AM
World Traveler

I know its a week late, but I figured I'd post some pictures from 4th of July in Cd'A.

The 4th is a big event in town, with over 30,000 people making the trek downtown to the city beach, the Resort, and Tubbs Hill to watch the fireworks over the lake. The fireworks are shot off from a barge on the lake. Over a thousand boats are usually on the water to get a good view of the action as well (you can see all of their lights on the water in the distance in the picture). The city has one of the biggest and best shows in the NW!

(My friend took some great pictures with his camera, but he has not sent the pictures to me yet, so here are some from the Chamber of Commerce website taken by photographers at Quicksilver Studios)

The pictures below are from the Holiday in Lights celebration in November. It is the other large fireworks show in town.

Every November, on the day after Thanksgiving, there is a large fireworks show and lighting ceremony down at the Cd'A Resort. This event also draws over 30,000 downtown (in the cold). After the fireworks, the Christmas decorations stay lit until the first of January. People can take cruise boats out to see some of the larger decorations (you can see some of the lighted decorations in the pictures) which are placed on the lake and around the Hagadone Corporation office next to the Resort.

Last edited by jimthemanincda; Jul 18, 2007 at 6:04 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 6:38 AM
World Traveler

There are a lot of things going on in the area this week. Here's a brief rundown of each newsworthy event with links to some of the articles:

---$50 million expansion at Schweitzer Ski Resort outside of Sandpoint

"The infrastructure work will include constructing heated roads in a planned residential development to be called Trappers Creek. Ridge Crest Trail, a road that will serve that development, will be built with an underpass that will allow skiers and pedestrians from Trappers Creek and other developments to reach Schweitzer’s ski slopes and shops without having to cross a roadway, says the broker, Tom Fortune, of Schweitzer Land & Timber Co. The company is the brokerage arm of Schweitzer Mountain Real Estate LLC, an affiliate of Schweitzer Mountain Resort."

"The infrastructure project will serve much more than Trappers Creek, Fortune says. Other residential developments, which eventually would add more than 4,000 housing units to Schweitzer’s 7,000-acre private holding, are planned on the mountain, where there are fewer than 1,000 housing units currently, he says."

"While most of the dwellings at Trappers Creek would be second, or vacation, homes, Fortune says a growing number of full-time residents are being attracted to the resort."

"Schweitzer also is investing $10 million to upgrade its ski operations. The upgrades include two new chairlifts that will replace Chair One and will enable the resort to move 12,807 skiers an hour uphill, up 28 percent from last season’s capacity. The resort also is in the middle of a two-year $10 million relocation and expansion of its sewer system."

"In other recent projects, Schweitzer built the 50-unit, 75,000-square-foot White Pine Lodge condominiums, renovated the Selkirk Lodge hotel, opened an activity center, enhanced two "terrain parks" for snowboarders and trick skiers, and added and upgraded ski lifts."

Link-http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokan...ticle&sub=3235

---Indoor waterpark construction at Silver Mountain Resort in Kellogg. Target opening date of 12/2007

"Among the water park's many bells and whistles will be three slides, a lazy river, an elevated tree house kid's play structure, FlowRider surf wave, pools and many hot tubs all under one roof."

"Gold Rush" and "Prospector Plunge" are the two slides that can be either single- or double-person innertube rides. The third slide, "Moose Sluice," is a larger family ride where up to four people can ride at once on a four-person raft.

"The lazy river will have concrete walls around it paved to give it a natural rock look with plants surrounding the structure for a tropical feel. Two bridges will lead to the middle of the lazy river and "Minor's Island," an elevated tree house that serves as a multi-level kids play structure with a myriad of interactive features including water valves, spray hoses and dumping buckets. Access to the lazy river is via a paved ramp to make the activity easily accessible for all riders."

"The star attraction of the park will undoubtedly be the FlowRider surf machine -- a continuos wave spread more than 20 square feet. A pump is used to propel 60,000 gallons of water per minute, at 35 miles per hour, in a 2-inch-thick sheet in the padded wet area. A rider can use a boogie board or surf board on the wave."

"Stuart commented that having competitors such as Boulder Beach Water Park and Raptor Reef Water Park nearby in the Coeur d'Alene area would not hinder the success of Silver Rapids."

""Our park will be a state-of-the-art indoor facility which means it will also be open 365 days a year to complete our true four-seasons resort we have here," Stuart said."

""Our hope is that the area's great many tourist attractions will work together.""

Link-http://www.cdapress.com/articles/200...ness/bus01.txt

---Silverwood Theme Park, the largest theme park in the Pacific Northwest, has been granted a permit to build a new sewage treatment facility, allowing the popular rollercoaster and water park to expand and perhaps build a hotel.

The Kootenai County Commission last week approved a conditional-use permit for the facility on 96 acres next to the 20-year-old park along U.S. Highway 95.

Link-http://www.spokesmanreview.com/idaho....asp?ID=200021

---The public hearing for the proposed French-themed golf retreat Chateau de Loire has been postponed again because neighbors were given incorrect information in notices of the meeting.

"This is the third time the hearing for Chateau de Loire has been rescheduled from its original April date. Now a Kootenai County hearing examiner will hold the hearing Aug. 29."

"The proposed 18-hole exclusive golf course and 500 homes is on the fast track as part of the mediated agreement that was reached after the company appealed the county commission's July 2006 denial of the golf retreat project."

Link-http://www.spokesmanreview.com/idaho....asp?ID=200004

---The Terraces, a 6-story luxury condo overlooking the Coeur d'Alene Resort Golf Course opened this week. The project was the costliest in the regions's history (the 18-story Coeur d'Alene Resort cost $60 million and was built in 1986---if built today, it would certainly be more than the Terraces).

""I'm told by my contractor that The Terraces represents an investment double that of any other single building in the Inland Northwest," Hagadone said Thursday on a private tour of The Terraces. He declined to give the specific amount."

"Located on the lake and overlooking The Coeur d'Alene Resort Golf Course's famous floating green, The Terraces contains 30 luxury condominiums, its own marina, an exercise room, a community room and housing for an on-site manager."

"Though most units were purchased before construction even began, there are still several left. For $4.6 million to $5.4 million, one of them can be yours."

"At 74, Hagadone has finished another landmark project in Coeur d'Alene, one that rivals his Coeur d'Alene Resort, corporate headquarters on the lake and even his new multi-million dollar home in the California desert."

"When Hagadone first saw the dirt under The Terraces a quarter century ago, he was certain that someday, it would amount to something."

""This was part of the old Potlatch Mill site, and 25 years ago, I wanted to buy just this site," Hagadone said."

""That didn't work, so 20 years ago I bought the mill. But I did it believing that this property right here is the single best residential building site in the Inland Northwest."

""All these years the property has deserved a great building, and now it's got one.""

""The Terraces will generate hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to the city tax base, and I'm proud to say that we used no tax money to build this and will have minimal impact on infrastructure," Hagadone said."

---(from a few weeks ago) There was previously talk of a lake ferry running from Post Falls to Riverstone to downtown Coeur d'Alene. Now there is a possibility of a ferry across the southern portion of Lake Coeur d'Alene, serving Harrison on the east side of the lake and an undetermined port on the west side. The ferry idea comes in addition to talk of widening state Hwy. 97 and providing bus service along the route.

"The ferry, which would carry both vehicles and passengers, would be one possible solution to transportation and safety concerns planners have about state Route 97, the highway that winds along the east shore of the lake, says Glenn Miles, transportation manager at the Kootenai Metropolitan Planning Organization."

"Miles says the idea of starting ferry service on the lake is one of three primary issues being considered in a Highway 97 Corridor Study that’s being done by KMPO and others. The other two issues are providing public bus transportation along SR97 and making safety improvements on the winding highway, he says."

"The $200,000 study began in January and is expected to take another 18 months to complete, Miles says, adding, "My guess is that some recommendations could be acted upon within a couple years.""

""A ferry would be a terrific benefit for the southeast side of the lake," he says. "They really need to get a ferry if development continues on the east side.""

"Projects along the east side include the 700-acre, $100 million-plus Gozzer Ranch Golf & Lake Club project being developed near Arrow Point by San Francisco-based Discovery Land Co., and the 142 acre, about 235-lot subdivision in Harrison called Stonegate at Harrison, being developed by Vue de lac LLC, of Rocklin, Calif. The nearly completed first phase of Stonegate at Harrison was projected earlier to be valued at $30 million."

"Austin estimates that the current one-hour trip from Harrison to Coeur d’Alene via SR97 would be cut in half by a short ferry ride."

Link-http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokan...ticle&sub=3207

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 7:57 PM
World Traveler

What's happening in Cd'A this week? Well, I'll tell you...

1. There is an open house tomorrow at Post Falls High School to determine the next major north-south corridor in Kootenai County to relieve traffic on US Highway 95 and State Highway 41.

There are two corridor options -- Huetter Road and Greensferry Road. On Page 2 of this thread, there is a map of the proposed corridor on Huetter Road. Huetter appears to be the frontrunner with local planners.

Currently, US 95 is between 4-6 lanes, but there are many traffic lights and heavy traffic, as well as a speed limit of only 45 mph (you're lucky to do 35 at most times). SH 41 is another major north-south road in the county, and is being expanded to 4 lanes and has a higher speed limit than US 95, but there are many stop lights as well.

Huetter would be five lanes between Interstate 90 and U.S. 95 at Highway 53. The speed for the corridor would be 60 mph with grade separated interchanges about every mile. A frontage road would also need to be built.

The mayor of Post Falls, a Kootenai Metropolitan Planning Organization member said he believes the Huetter project is 10 to 15 years out. Post Falls has been lobbying the Idaho Transportation Department to have the I-90 access project at Greensferry placed on the front burner due to accessibility and traffic congestion issues. The city has contributed funds up front to fuel the effort. Larkin said he will speak before the ITD board in August on the project.

The north-south corridor project has been explored for the past two years. The open house will focus on the two options, not whether a corridor is needed.

Link-http://www.cdapress.com/articles/200...ews/news02.txt

2. According to a local economist, North Idaho's urban areas will continue to draw in new residents while population in North Idaho's rural areas will stagnate.

According to the economist, Spokane and Kootenai counties will have more than twice the population growth of surrounding rural counties. Communities such as Athol, which are within a short commute to urban areas in the region, may triple in population. Per capita income in Spokane County and Kootenai County is expected to triple in the next 30 years---reaching near $100,000 by 2036.

---most of the what the article described has been happening not only in North Idaho, but the entire state for a number of years.

---in the past 17 years, the population of Kootenai County has grown from about 70,000 to current estimates of 135,000.

---using a projection from the Department of Commerce, (growth) in the next 20 years will range from 230,000 to 310,000 for Kootenai County according to the county's planning director.

Link-http://www.idahostatesman.com/busine...ry/114079.html

3. Downtown Coeur d'Alene is becoming a condo haven according to an article in the Coeur d'Alene Press this past weekend. The article detailed the numerous new condo projects in Coeur d'Alene (most of them I detailed on Page 1 and 2 of this thread), including:

The Towers at Ridgepoint-each unit will have a view of the golf course, Lake Coeur d'Alene or Fernan Lake. A total of 133 condos, starting at 800 square feet to over 2,000 square feet with underground secure parking, start at $290,000. According to the builder, there are over 20 floor plans available just in the first building. As of now, the first building is half sold. The gated project will include three phases. The first phase will consist of 24 units, and the next two phases will each have 25 units. Each of the three buildings are five-story structures, with residences ranging from 2,150 square feet to 3,400 square feet. Units will have at least three bedrooms and two baths, although some will have four bedrooms. Ridgepointe will also include a spa and fitness center, secure indoor parking, water features, and trail systems with foot bridges. Prices will start in the $600,000 range.

The Lofts-a 7 story 10 unit building on Sherman Avenue downtown. It is almost completed and is being built in the style of a metropolitan area loft. Most of the units are two bedroom with an office. The penthouse, which is 3,360 square feet, is two stories and is listed for $1.6 million.

The Ice Plant-at the corner of 11th Street and Mullan Avenue, is actually attached single-family dwellings. There are 24 units built, half are occupied and the other half are still available. The remaining units are $279,000 for a 1,300 square foot, two bedroom unit with a single garage and $399,000 for a 1,900 square foot, three bedroom unit with a double garage.

Parkside Tower-Idaho's first 20 story building. The new high-rise on Seventh Street Downtown has 53 units and is across the street from the 15 story McEuen Tower. Units started in the $600,000 range and have sold out. The builders started on the 10th floor this week. The first residents should be able to move in around the first month of next year.

4. This is not a good claim to fame---last week Forbes magazine named US 95 as one of the nine deadliest roads in America. The dishonor was based on 2005 National Highway Traffic Safety Commission data on crash fatalities and other studies.

Link-http://www.spokesmanreview.com/local...=200991&page=2

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 4:17 AM
World Traveler

I've been traveling a lot this summer, so I've been neglecting this thread a little, but here's the low-down on stuff in the Cd'A area this past week:

1. Design work on the planned I-90/Beck Road interchange (at the Idaho/Washington state line) has started and the project could be completed as early as 2010 (construction to begin in 2009):

Engineering work has begun for a planned new freeway interchange that would serve the big Cabela’s Inc. sporting goods store that’s under construction on the west edge of Post Falls.

Dave Larsen, who heads up Idaho projects for Spokane-based Taylor Engineering Inc., says that company has begun to stake out the proposed Beck Road-Interstate 90 interchange. The interchange would be located roughly halfway between the Pleasant View interchange, in Post Falls, and the State Line interchange on the Washington state side of the border.

The planned interchange, currently estimated to cost $30 million, is on an exceptionally fast track, because it would be paid for up front by Sidney, Neb.-based Cabela’s and thus doesn’t have to await the normal state funding-approval process.

The Idaho Legislature approved a measure in March that allows private parties to improve freeway and highway access for retail and commercial developments then receive later from the state rebates of 60 percent of the sales tax the developments generate to cover the costs of the access projects.

Cabela’s is the anchor tenant for the planned 200-acre Pointe at Post Falls retail and commercial center being developed by Foursquare Properties Inc., of Carlsbad, Calif. The sporting goods chain’s $20 million, 130,000-square-foot facility is being built by Vandervert Construction Inc., of Spokane.

The Post Falls Cabela’s alone is expected to generate over $100 million in annual sales and bring in $6 million a year in sales taxes. So far, Cabela’s, which is scheduled to open this fall, is the only announced tenant for the development. When the development is completed, however, it is expected to generate $30 million in annual sales tax revenue, the sales tax-rebate enabling legislation says

Link-http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokan...ticle&sub=3255

2. North Idaho College could be the site of the first police training academy in the state outside of the Boise area. Classes could begin as early as 2008:

An effort to spread police officer training opportunities across the state will start at North Idaho College.

The college has been in talks with the state academy in the Boise area about offering classes, and eventually a full police academy, in Coeur d'Alene. The Idaho Peace Officer Standards and Training Academy, known as POST, still needs to hire someone to oversee the process and its council must approve the plan. But the group's larger goal of decentralizing training services will begin at the community college in Coeur d'Alene, POST Executive Director Jeffry Black said.

The group hopes to give a proposal to its council this winter. The targeted opening date of fall 2008 is tentative, Black said.

The bulk of police training is at POST headquarters in Meridian, making it expensive for agencies in North Idaho to send officers there for training."Actually having the actual academy here on a regional basis once or twice a year would be awesome," Kootenai County sheriff's Capt. Ben Wolfinger said.

The state's population boom makes decentralizing the training center necessary, he said. "From a physical facilities standpoint, we're really maxed out."

And facilities at NIC, the College of Southern Idaho and in eastern Idaho mean the cost of starting new classes and training programs will be minimal, he said.

"It seems silly to build additional facilities when we already have bricks and mortar," Black said.

Instructors are already available in North Idaho. Wolfinger taught training courses in Boise for 10 years and teaches classes in NIC's criminal justice department.

Link-http://www.spokesmanreview.com/idaho....asp?ID=202376

3. The KMPO endorsed rights of way acquisition for a proposed 9-mile freeway bypass of Coeur d'Alene. The proposed roadway would run along Huetter Road, as I described in previous posts. Sounds like part, if not all of the highway, would be 6-lanes (good, because by the time it is built, we will need it...even if Hwy. 95 is 6-lanes and Hwy. 41 is 4-lanes by then ):

Over the objections of numerous North Idaho residents, the Kootenai Metropolitan Planning Organization voted 6-3 Thursday to endorse acquisition of rights of way for the eventual construction of a 9-mile highway bypass along Huetter Road.

The proposed roadway would run north and south between U.S. Highways 41 and 95, originating north of Seltice Way in Post Falls and connecting to Highway 53 east of Rathdrum.

The goal is to relieve future congestion on existing highways as a result of residential and commercial growth, which is expected to continue.

"Kootenai County is a boom, and it's going to keep going," said KMPO board member Jimmie Dorsey, of the Eastside Highway District. "It's up to this body to accommodate growth as it comes.

"Our job is to preserve the corridor opportunity … before it all grows up, so as this country grows we're not gridlocked like Seattle is."

Now that the measure has won KMPO's approval, it will be up to the various jurisdictions governing the corridor to implement the recommendations in their respective master plans and require developers to set aside affected land for the road, Miles said.

Link-http://www.spokesmanreview.com/idaho....asp?ID=202828

4. A $14 million bond to pay for a new multi-use events/convention center at the Kootenai County Fairgrounds may be put beofre the county's voters in 2008:

As currently proposed, the events center would be 112,000 square feet and cost $18.5 million for construction, equipment, fixtures and other items needed to operate the center. About $5 million would be raised through charitable contributions with the rest of the balance secured in the form of a loan or bond issue to be paid off in 20 to 25 years.

"Fall of 2008 would be, I believe, the time to put it on the ballot and take it to the taxpayers," said Ron Edwards, president-elect of the Rocky Mountain Association of Fairs, on Tuesday. "This is not a white elephant. The building will continue to pay for itself on an ongoing basis."

In January, the fairgrounds board hired a Washington State University economic development professor to conduct a $5,000 study on how best to market the fairgrounds. The results of the study pointed to the fairgrounds not having an adequate facility for conventions and trade shows.

"It will take a couple of years before it stands alone," Edwards said of a Coeur d'Alene facility. "Once it's up and running, it will run out of days before we run out of events."

Chris Holloway, Kootenai County Fairgrounds manager, said the county currently funds about $100,000 annually of the fairgrounds' $1 million budget. She believes having a year-round event center for a host of possible events will make the fairgrounds profitable while attracting business for the area -- particularly in the winter.

"You're bringing people into that shoulder season where a lot of hotels really need that business," Holloway said.

The study claims the events center would have a $27 million annual impact to the local economy.

Events could include recreation like soccer, basketball and league sports, off-season training, rodeos, auctions, motorcycle events, livestock sales, pet shows, trade shows, craft fairs, weddings, RV and boat shows, and church groups, among many others.

The largest building at the 84-acre Kootenai County Fairgrounds is now 16,500 square feet.

The new events center would have a 49,350-square-foot field house that could seat 3,000; a 25,500-square-foot pavilion that could seat between 1,500 and 2,000; and a 16,612-square-foot auditorium that could seat between 550 and 1,200. It would also have two large meeting rooms -- seating between 40 to 110, and a kitchen.

Merlin Berger, spokesman for the North Idaho Fair Foundation and downtown business owner, said the Kroc community center that is expected to be open in fall 2008 would not conflict or overlap with the fairgrounds events center.

"As far as competition, we're looking at a totally different scene here," Berger said. "The Kroc Center will not be able to accommodate car shows, trade shows -- a whole different set of uses."

Link-http://www.cdapress.com/articles/200...ews/news02.txt

5. A developer wanting to buy 618 acres for a controversial development that could increase Hayden's population by a third is suing the property's owners for breach of contract. The proposed mixed-use development would include over 1,800 homes and could potentially add 2,100 students to the Coeur d'Alene School District, the 5th largest in the state:

Link-http://www.spokesmanreview.com/idaho....asp?ID=203087

6. Sandpoint area news---A 180 acre gated community with access to a yacht club and a $2.2 million private clubhouse is being developed along the Pend Oreille River outside of Sandpoint:

The Crossing at Willow Bay will cater to people who want to build estates. Eighty-two lots are offered, ranging in size from half-acre with a view or waterfront to four-acre lots in the woods. Prices start in the mid-$200,000s and range up to the low-$700,000s.

"We've got a nice variety," said Kim Hansen, who sells property in the development owned by her husband, Gerald Hansen, and Jim Sullivan, of Sullivan Homes.

The amenity-rich development, located 10 miles southwest of Sandpoint, will have a community beach, extensive trails and an outdoor sports complex with tennis, volleyball and basketball courts and a picnic area. Residents have access to boat slips. Boat and RV parking is included in the cost.

Link-http://www.spokesmanreview.com/busin....asp?ID=202766

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 3:01 AM
World Traveler

New University of Idaho branch campus

UI-Boise, UI-Cd'A and UI-IF, meet the fourth major UI branch campus, UI-Sandpoint:

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/idaho....asp?ID=203974

Shawn Vestal
Staff writer
August 10, 2007

Sandpoint could be a college town by this time in 2009.

Coldwater Creek founder Dennis Pence, through his foundation, has expanded the amount he's willing to spend to see that happen – from $26 million to at least $36 million, according to the agreement approved by the Idaho State Board of Education on Thursday night.

The board, meeting in Twin Falls, backed the plan to sell 77 acres owned by the University of Idaho just north of downtown Sandpoint to Pence's Wild Rose Foundation for $6.25 million. Most of that money would go into a trust for educational programs at the site, and the foundation would spend at least $30 million to build the first four buildings, which would then be given to the UI, according to the agreement.

"This is unique in that we're really able to create a whole campus from the very beginning," said Larry Branen, the UI's associate vice president for North Idaho.

If all goes as planned, classes would start at the Sandpoint Center in fall 2009. A variety of offerings would be available, with an emphasis on interdisciplinary programs focusing on the liberal arts, natural resources and food science, Branen said. Other programs would include the UI's executive MBA program, already available in Sandpoint, as well as offerings from North Idaho College.

Many in Idaho are wary of big plans for branch campuses, given the difficult times that arose from the UI's grand plans for a new operation in Boise several years ago. When those plans began to unravel in 2002, the UI was left with a big budget hole, and its former financial vice president wound up convicted of misusing public funds.

A large part of the problem in that case was that UI officials had big plans but no solid long-term financing as it began spending millions on design. In this case, the money's identified and the UI doesn't have any liability should Wild Rose fall short on its commitment, Branen said.

"I think we all learned a lot from Boise," he said. "This is something where the funding is up front. We know where it's coming from."

The campus would be located on Sand Creek north of downtown, on the north portion of the 77-acre parcel.

Transaction details
Details of the proposed development of the University of Idaho's Sandpoint Center, according to documents filed with the state Board of Education:

• The UI would sell 77 acres it owns across from the airport in Sandpoint to the nonprofit Wild Rose Foundation for $6.25 million.
• The foundation would spend at least $30 million to build facilities and infrastructure on the northern part of that parcel and would own the land until its eventual transfer to the UI. The foundation would be solely responsible for that design and construction.
• Most of the UI's proceeds from the land sale would go into an endowment to help fund operations at the Sandpoint campus.
• The foundation would give the UI 18 acres in Sandpoint for the agricultural research and extension activities that are currently located on the 77-acre parcel.
• The foundation would also offer a portion of the parcel to the Lake Pend Oreille School District for a new high school.
• Classes would begin in fall 2009, provided the construction of the first phase of the project is on schedule.
• Officials project enrollments approaching 1,000 students within five years, with an emphasis on interdisciplinary programs focusing on the arts, natural resources and food science.[/SIZE]

1,000 students in Sandpoint (area population of ~11,000, county population of ~43,000) by 2014 would be great.

Here's a comparison of the other UI branch campuses---the degrees they offer and their enrollment from Fall 2006:

Boise enrollment=318; offers 18 masters and 5 doctorate degrees
Cd'A enrollment =389; offers 5 bachelors and 8 masters degrees
Idaho Falls enrollment=318; offers 7 bachelors, 29 masters, and 16 doctorate degrees

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 7:51 AM
World Traveler

Growth galore!

The Cd'A area continues to grow...

Spirit Lake is updating its comprehensive plan for the city.

http://www.cdapress.com/articles/200...ews/news05.txt

In the quarter century from 1970 to 1995, Spirit Lake grew in population to 1,500 from 622, and by 2006 it was estimated at nearly 2,000.

By 2020 it's expected to be 5,000, and peak at nearly 9,000 if all the housing anticipated in the city and its impact area is completed.

Infrastructure to serve that population is probably the most important component of long-term planning, according to a Spirit Lake City Council member.

I checked out each city's comprehensive plan. Here are the population projections for selected cities in the area:
Coeur d'Alene in 2027-64,382 [44,073 in 2007]
Post Falls in 2028-65,000 (94,000 with projected annexation) [24,515 in 2006]
Hayden in 2010-12,853 [12,349 in 2006] (this estimate is from a few years ago, Hayden should have around 16,000 in 2010)
Rathdrum in 2010-8,016 [6,308 in 2006]
Dalton Gardens-no projection [2,382 in 2006]
Spirit Lake in 2020-5,000 [1,621 in 2006]
Future population projection for the county:
Kootenai County in 2010-167,000 [139,558 in 2006]

Last edited by jimthemanincda; Aug 12, 2007 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 4:23 AM
World Traveler

Webcam capture from the new Coeur d'Alene Library. You can see the continuing construction of the Parkside condos in the background, along with the 7-story 609 Sherman Buiding and the 15-story McEuen Terrace building. They are working on the 12th floor of Parkside right now. It's going to be a great addition to the city's skyline!

Here's a good map of what Riverstone will look like when it is completely built out. As of now, there are still plans for 4 165' towers. Looking at the Riverstone map layout, they are the four brown buildings in the extreme lower righthand part of the map (check out the first page of this thread for the tower renderings). As far as I know, Marshall Chesrown is also still planning a tower, although shorter than the 250' tower he originally wanted to build.
Riverstone Map:

Original Riverstone Tower proposal by Marshall Chesrown (the new proposal is shorter and slimmer):

In other news, the newly hired Post Falls community development director says the city must "re-prioritize [its] annexation policy with emphasis on redeveloping the city center and encouraging public-private investment."

http://www.cdapress.com/articles/200...ews/news01.txt

Post Falls has grown more than 200 percent since 1990 and now has a population of roughly 25,000. It is expected to continue to climb because of land availability. The key, according to the city's community development director, will be if the city has adequate infrastructure to support the growth.

"If we don't, and the city keeps growing, the infrastructure is bound to collapse," he said.

The community development director said he doesn't believe the city is fighting urban sprawl yet.

"But if we don't re-prioritize our annexation policy with emphasis on redeveloping the city center and encouraging public-private reinvestment, we could lose the momentum and hence uncontrollable sprawl," he said. "We don't want to go there because sprawl is costly to commuters, taxpayers and has huge impact on the environment."

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 2:23 PM

Interesting information. IMO Parkside is the most exciting building to be built in Idaho in years. Is the color scheme really going to be as bold as the rendering?

I believe you said your parents have reserved a unit. What are they being told as far as move in dates?

Lookin' good C'dA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West