HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 5:13 PM

CDR Submissions are up for April

Light docket this time. Only one interesting new project:
https://www.phila.gov/departments/ph...blic-meetings/

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 6:14 AM

Public Ledger building on Independence Mall receives zoning approval for 3-story addition

This would make this building 15 stories, looks like they're doing condos.

Quote:
Philadelphia's Zoning Board of Adjustment voted unanimously Wednesday in favor of a three-level addition to the 12-story building at 150 S. Independence Mall West. Plans call for 48 single-family residential units on two new floors, along with a roof deck that would overlook Independence Mall. In addition to the added units, the zoning board approved an underground valet parking garage with a total of 198 spaces.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Public Ledger building on Independence Mall receives zoning approval for 3-story addition

This would make this building 15 stories, looks like they're doing condos.
I work in the Public Ledger building. I will let people know if I hear anything

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 8:37 PM

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 9:04 PM

Nice aerial TK!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 3:06 AM

Unsure if this was posted https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20230323.html

But basically it lists a bunch of potential problems from the arena, from impacting the design at Jefferson station, potentially lowering the roof, floor columns, etc. TO turning Filbert into a "Privatized part of the city grid" and how the hordes of energized fans have no place to congregate before and after the game. I agree with most of it. Initially I was very pro-arena and I don't want to reopen a can of worms here, but I've changed my mind. We need to look into it a lot more, id rather they cap 30th street yards, or look into another surface lot that doesn't require building over trains, taking away newly found street fronting shops and such.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post

But basically it lists a bunch of potential problems from the arena, from impacting the design at Jefferson station, potentially lowering the roof, floor columns, etc. TO turning Filbert into a "Privatized part of the city grid" and how the hordes of energized fans have no place to congregate before and after the game. I agree with most of it. Initially I was very pro-arena and I don't want to reopen a can of worms here, but I've changed my mind. We need to look into it a lot more, id rather they cap 30th street yards, or look into another surface lot that doesn't require building over trains, taking away newly found street fronting shops and such.
The problem is the article has a bunch of misinformation.

Quote:
potentially lowering the roof, floor columns
But that's not what the article says. That's what Igna implies in the first few paragraphs:
Quote:
sinking the arena — or the “bowl,” as architects call it — would mean lowering the ceilings at Jefferson Station, a soaring space where soft natural light tumbles in from windows arrayed along 11th and Filbert Streets.
followed by the truth:
Quote:
The Sixers are now expected to return to an earlier concept, one that would put the floor of the basketball court roughly at sidewalk level.
Quote:
TO turning Filbert into a "Privatized part of the city grid"
This is one of the worst "critiques" in the article. Activating Filbert into a pedestrian plaza with actual street facing restaurants is genius. She lies about it being "tunneled over". The Sixers clarified that point in a series of tweets: https://twitter.com/76Place/status/1639387375112536065

10th and Filbert is currently a drug dealing alley and unsafe after dark.

Quote:
how the hordes of energized fans have no place to congregate before and after the game.
I guess if you hate Philadelphia and don't think you can patron the bars all around Center City, this point makes sense. It's nonsense to me.

It's a terrible article imo. Jefferson Station is such an awesome place with so much transit just rotting away because there is no reason to go there. Sad.

When people bring up "Chinatown DC" it also demostrates they have no actual clue of the history of DC's Chinatown and why it was already mainly gone before the creation of the MCI Center. It's funny people in DC/NYC/BOS view their arena's with pride. In Philly, we rather be shitty.

Last edited by TempleGuy1000; Mar 26, 2023 at 12:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 2:34 PM

Quote:

One of the funniest things about this article is that one of the alternate sites Inga suggests is using parking lots on Arch St presumably in Chinatown

"While the so-called Disney hole at Eighth and Market is the wrong shape for an arena, there is no shortage of empty lots along Arch Street, all a short walk to Jefferson Station. "

Would love for the Sixers to run with that, Inga said it's OK to build in Chinatown take it up with her.

What a terrible article.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
"While the so-called Disney hole at Eighth and Market is the wrong shape for an arena, there is no shortage of empty lots along Arch Street, all a short walk to Jefferson Station. "
right? It's insane to suggest it should be in the middle of chinatown oppose to outside of the actual neighborhood. She had to be drunk writing that

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 8:06 PM

Question

I have faith that the Sixers are working behind the scenes to make this happen. It’s too big of a project from too sophisticated of an organization to not be. It was nice to see a few groups publicly come out in support a few days ago but I’m really hoping they’ve got a plan to get the approvals they actually need.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 2:24 AM

Personally i agree about the worries that Inga has, I fully support the idea of a center city arena, but my problem is, like i said on the lowrise thread, there's so much that can go wrong. I want assurances from the developers and the city, and not just words.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 6:54 PM

Quote:
I want assurances from the developers and the city, and not just words.
Something like the $50M CBA they proposed when the idea was announced? That would require organizations in Chinatown to actually engage in the process instead of immediately pushing for cancelling the entire thing.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 9:35 PM

To me one of the worse aspects of the article is that they apparently pitched that plan and SEPTA already said no, but she's so spooked about jeffersons windows maybe changing that she'd rather it go smack dab in the middle of Chinatown, just profoundly not a serious person.

Also fans potentially going to bars and restaurants instead of loitering in a parking lot is a very funny "concern". Customers! Heaven forbid!

edit; actually that's unfair to Inga, plainly stating her objections are largely aesthetic is incredibly honest and respectable compared to the people that tell me replacing a failing mall, that is not in Chinatown, would instantly annihilate the Chinese community

Last edited by AnEmperorPenguin; Mar 27, 2023 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 12:03 PM

The Comcast tower was red last night for the Phillies, it was cool to see!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 5:44 PM

FMC also had a gorgeous crisp looking “P” scrolling across it. I didn’t know the lighting could do that it looked like a Jumbotron in West Philly

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 4:13 PM

Old Posted Apr 1, 2023, 3:39 AM

Even though it lost a few floors, the new design is better, sleeker. Really wish it was taller though. It's just another one of those buildings that deserve to stick out from the crowd. Regardless, this is good news for West Market and it just increases pressure on Peco to do something about that parking lot.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2023, 3:11 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Even though it lost a few floors, the new design is better, sleeker. Really wish it was taller though. It's just another one of those buildings that deserve to stick out from the crowd. Regardless, this is good news for West Market and it just increases pressure on Peco to do something about that parking lot.
And Brandywines planned project across from Trader Joe's.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 9:31 AM
Philly Pholly

We need a bit of excitement

"A 1,400-foot (!), mixed-use tower is being pitched for the site, which would ultimately involve the demolition of the former Rosenbluth HQ, which is not listed on the local historic register. As a tribute to the ground-breaking businessman however, the Ambit Architecture-designed concept will be named The ROSE, and will consist of lower-level office space, a hotel on the middle floors, and apartments at the top of the tower. At this point, we aren’t sure whether these would be rentals or condos.

Whatever the use, the upper units will possess the best views in town, with the top of the building rising almost three-hundred feet above the Comcast Technology Center to the east. Along with the views, the future residents of the ROSE will live in the most prominent architectural landmark on our skyline. Even recognizing the forced perspective of the rendering, this thing is gonna be huge."

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...evgaSSERsmZAoc

The ROSE will rise 1400 feet at 2401 Walnut St cropped by

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
We need a bit of excitement

"A 1,400-foot (!), mixed-use tower is being pitched for the site, which would ultimately involve the demolition of the former Rosenbluth HQ, which is not listed on the local historic register. As a tribute to the ground-breaking businessman however, the Ambit Architecture-designed concept will be named The ROSE, and will consist of lower-level office space, a hotel on the middle floors, and apartments at the top of the tower. At this point, we aren’t sure whether these would be rentals or condos.

Whatever the use, the upper units will possess the best views in town, with the top of the building rising almost three-hundred feet above the Comcast Technology Center to the east. Along with the views, the future residents of the ROSE will live in the most prominent architectural landmark on our skyline. Even recognizing the forced perspective of the rendering, this thing is gonna be huge."

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...evgaSSERsmZAoc

The ROSE will rise 1400 feet at 2401 Walnut St cropped by
This was an April Fool's Day joke.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations