HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 7:22 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
UTPlanner,
Do you know if there has been any developers looking into developing these parking lots within the last 5 years or so?
These lots just scream for mixed-use mid-rise residential with ground-floor restaurants & brewpubs, etc. The one over at Zephyr's would probably be better suited for mixed-use office.
That's owned by David Bernolfo. I know of at least one developer who would take that in a heartbeat, but Bernolfo shows no willingness to sell from what I hear. I'm sure there are many developers who would take either of those corners.

Last edited by Schmoe; Aug 6, 2020 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 12:20 AM

Interesting article about the old Hotel Newhouse, including notes by Jimi Hendrix on the hotel stationairy.

https://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/...-clark-phelps/

Apparently, it was Earl Holding who demolished it primarily because it was competing against his hotel, and it had fallen into disrepair.

What a shame.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 4:30 AM

The Hotel Newhouse ranks as a top five in my book for tragic losses downtown, especially with a sea of parking in its place.

Of course Earl Holding was to blame. May he rot in hell.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
The Hotel Newhouse ranks as a top five in my book for tragic losses downtown, especially with a sea of parking in its place.

Of course Earl Holding was to blame. May he rot in hell.
Well that escalated quickly. I mean, that really got out of hand fast.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 11:39 AM

Looks like the front view of the new residential on Stringham has undergone a few changes. Hmm, They've also added an additional floor. This updated rendering was released a little over a month ago.

Sugar House - Crede Residential Launch Development - https://www.connect.media/crede-cott...ent-on-slc-mf/

Irvine, CA-headquartered CREDE broke ground on Park Avenue Apartments, a 238-unit multifamily complex in Salt Lake City’s Sugar House community. Developed in partnership with Salt Lake City-based Cottonwood Residential, the project is set for a Q4 2021 delivery.

CREDE’s Colby Durnin says, “Park Avenue Apartments will provide highly desirable apartments in the burgeoning Sugar House area. The economic growth of Utah and Salt Lake City in particular, have led to a strong need for new residential options, as more companies relocate or open offices in Salt Lake City.”

The mid-rise 238-unit project will offer studio, one and two-bedroom apartment homes. Each unit will include nine-foot ceilings, luxury vinyl wood plank flooring, upgraded cabinetry and stone countertops, with most units having a balcony or patio. The building will also feature 1,400 square feet of retail space, a fitness center, and a resort-style pool with an outdoor terrace that includes fire pits, barbecues and two hot tubs.

Original Rendering - The 1240 Park Avenue Apartments

https://i0.wp.com/www.buildingsaltla...ng-1.jpg?ssl=1

Updated Rendering - The 1240 Park Avenue Apartments

https://www.connect.media/wp-content...dering-SLC.jpg

Last edited by delts145; Aug 7, 2020 at 12:52 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 2:59 PM

That seems to be brick facade. If so that will be a nice looking building.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 3:22 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Looks like the front view of the new residential on Stringham has undergone a few changes. Hmm, They've also added an additional floor. This updated rendering was released a little over a month ago.
I like this update. Sugar House is filling in nicely. Are there any good remaining lots with development potential in the Sugar House core?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
I like this update. Sugar House is filling in nicely. Are there any good remaining lots with development potential in the Sugar House core?
There is a lot on the S-Line and 9th East that used to be a car mechanic shop, that is fenced off and looks to be developed. I’ve been looking all over but can’t find anything on it. As someone who lives across the street I’m super interested to see what it’s going to be.

https://goo.gl/maps/nWrJmeRqksZRN8ZA9

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
There is an empty lot in front of Sugarmont on Highland Drive. Not sure if it has plans already or not though. I think I remember seeing a proposal at one point. Other than that there isn't a whole lot of space left.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 3:55 PM
Space Magi

Here's a recent drone video of the Park Avenue Apartments with some good views of that part of Sugar House in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhWL_H137MY

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 5:12 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
UTPlanner,
Do you know if there has been any developers looking into developing these parking lots within the last 5 years or so?
These lots just scream for mixed-use mid-rise residential with ground-floor restaurants & brewpubs, etc. The one over at Zephyr's would probably be better suited for mixed-use office.
Bernolfo is our very own Mr Burns. Would love to see the more progressive side of that family take control of his parcels. Or at least advocate for development. Land banking core infill is really the worst store of money one can have. Could somebody set up a zoom meeting? I could put a spreadsheet together in 3 minutes to show him how much cash he has burned by letting these blocks rot. Idiot.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 5:22 PM
Space Magi

This was new to me: another large building in design (architect: MHTN) for the University of Utah hospital called the HELIX. From what I can gather, the site is the empty grass area on the west side of the TRAX stop, groundbreaking 2021.

https://ct.utah.edu/healthcare-educa...-complex-helix

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
There is an empty lot in front of Sugarmont on Highland Drive. Not sure if it has plans already or not though. I think I remember seeing a proposal at one point. Other than that there isn't a whole lot of space left.
You might be thinking of the Sugar Alley lot. I don't think it's broken ground yet but it should be starting rather soon.

https://www.mve-architects.com/projects/sugar-alley/

Last edited by Atlas; Aug 7, 2020 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
That lot where the old fire building (and temporary library building while the other one is remodeled) has been talked about for affordable housing, but I haven’t heard anything on that for awhile. The old DI building is a prime location for a new building. Also the building where the old 24 hour sugarhouse locations was, is another potential lot to be developed, so there is still a lot of potential in that area.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 5:46 PM

New Apartment on 200 N and 600 W

New development on 200 N between the freeway and 600 West in the Guadalupe Neighborhood. This will have 312 units.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 7:17 PM

^^^ Hell yeah! I briefly lived in one of the buildings that is to be torn down for that development. It was a shithole, and I'm glad it isn't long for this world.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
New development on 200 N between the freeway and 600 West in the Guadalupe Neighborhood. This will have 312 units.

I like this one a lot!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 7:33 PM
The Drifter

Definitley a unique apartment building for the Salt Lake City area compared to what has been going in the past few years. Kinda has a 70's vibe to it and I say it's a welcome change compared to all the cookie cutter construction everyone else is building.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 11:19 PM

Great update Stayinginformed! I noticed that LOFTSIXFOUR will be involved with the design of this complex. Same people who worked with SALT on the massive 400 West developments. This should have some very cool features brought to the SLC market. I noticed they're also making space for a grocery store.

Is there a write-up yet on this project...link etc.? Hopefully BuildingSaltLake will do a report on it soon.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 3:52 AM
They all float down here

That new apartment kind of reminds me of Citycrest on 1st Ave, just east of State:

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 4:19 PM

Last edited by Orlando; Aug 9, 2020 at 5:13 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West