HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 12:12 AM

Building permit issued yesterday to convert the historic building at 2300 S Indiana to a 200 room hotel. Curbed picked this up a handful of months ago - it will be a Studio 6, which is a slightly more upgraded version of a Motel 6. A little nicer with a small kitchenette. Right across from McCormick Center. It's not 4 star or luxury, but it'll be good as it's a relatively cheap (probably $80-$100/night) option and it rehabs a historic building

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/4/4/...l-2300-indiana

This is the 2nd hotel to be issued a permit recently as the new 4 story hotel in Chinatown near to this was issued a permit too. Still looking for a rendering on that one...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:48 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Building permit issued yesterday to convert the historic building at 2300 S Indiana to a 200 room hotel. Curbed picked this up a handful of months ago - it will be a Studio 6, which is a slightly more upgraded version of a Motel 6. A little nicer with a small kitchenette. Right across from McCormick Center. It's not 4 star or luxury, but it'll be good as it's a relatively cheap (probably $80-$100/night) option and it rehabs a historic building

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/4/4/...l-2300-indiana
Sounds like the type of place my parents would stay at when visiting me lol.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:04 PM
TL;DR

The FLATS building at 15th/Blue Island is officially U/C, Revcon has been on site since Monday drilling caissons.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Speaking of west loop, Fulton Galley food hall is closing after only 6 months.

https://chicago.eater.com/2019/11/7/...6AYQRUW6R37WUw
I just mentioned how empty this place was a few pages ago. Its a groupthink problem. There are no people there yet and you spend a few million on a big foodhall. While neighborhoods like Lakeview and South Loop with people with money still have pretty mediocre food options.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 7:18 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
I just mentioned how empty this place was a few pages ago. Its a groupthink problem. There are no people there yet and you spend a few million on a big foodhall. While neighborhoods like Lakeview and South Loop with people with money still have pretty mediocre food options.
Fulton Galley was really a bit too far west. Not enough office buildings out there yet, and too far west for tourists. Plus they probably got hammered by the endless streetscaping work on Fulton, that area looks like a warzone still.

I will miss having Steingold's in the West Loop, though. Hopefully they can resettle somewhere else in the area.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 7:47 PM

They need to allow more residential development around Fulton Market or you're going to keep seeing restaurant closures. I wonder how well the Time Out food hall will work out, even.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
They need to allow more residential development around Fulton Market or you're going to keep seeing restaurant closures. I wonder how well the Time Out food hall will work out, even.
It's not a lack of residential, its them getting ahead of the office population which is building but probably still a few years out from what it's going to take to support a large food hall. Maybe Time Out will prove that wrong but I'm kind of skeptical. When I go into the French Market under Metra I don't think "wow look at all these people who live around here".

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 8:40 PM

Tribune Tower Rehab

Nov 1

Nov 5

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 12:12 AM

The site of the former William King Elementary school at Polk & Campbell (closed in 2013) is going to redeveloped into 30 single family homes between Maplewood, Campbell, Lexington, and Polk. 15 homes on Polk and 15 homes on Lexington. The 15 on Polk have been issued permits already.

I know residents nearby wanted it to be affordable but the estimated cost of each is $300K - doubt that's going to be the case.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 3:36 AM

Realators Building - 430 N Michigan

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 2:50 PM

Lol who said the Realtors TM would buck up for curved glass???

Quote:
The site of the former William King Elementary school at Polk & Campbell (closed in 2013) is going to redeveloped into 30 single family homes between Maplewood, Campbell, Lexington, and Polk. 15 homes on Polk and 15 homes on Lexington. The 15 on Polk have been issued permits already.

I know residents nearby wanted it to be affordable but the estimated cost of each is $300K - doubt that's going to be the case.
The first row is completely up already and ready for siding.

These join a full street of them on Grenshaw where they are currently adding another new street (extension of Fillmore) and have already started building more homes before the infrastructure is even roughed in. They must be selling like hotcakes because they are building a ton of them. There's even one being built across the street from the Lagunitas driveway on Washtenaw...

Makes one think of developing their Pink Line adjacent lots in the area...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 3:28 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Is hate too strong a word?

Also am I the only one that keeps seeing Theodore the Tugboat?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Lol who said the Realtors TM would buck up for curved glass???

The first row is completely up already and ready for siding.

These join a full street of them on Grenshaw where they are currently adding another new street (extension of Fillmore) and have already started building more homes before the infrastructure is even roughed in. They must be selling like hotcakes because they are building a ton of them. There's even one being built across the street from the Lagunitas driveway on Washtenaw...

Makes one think of developing their Pink Line adjacent lots in the area...
Interesting. From a construction perspective, what can you build before you have a permit? I think half of the homes on Polk were permitted this summer with the other half permitted only a few days ago

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 5:35 PM

"Hate" is not a strong ENOUGH word for this building.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 5:59 PM

On September 20, a building permit was issued to renovate the old Edgewater Hospital at 5700 N Ashland into 155 units, finally. MCZ, the developer, landed a $27M loan in the beginning of the year:

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2019...enter-rentals/

Some other restoration news:
1) Building permit was issued in September to convert the historic Fullerton State Bank at 1425 W Fullerton to 8 residential units. This has been in the works since at least early 2014.

Current: https://www.google.com/maps/place/14...!4d-87.6644109

The good news is that not only will it renovate it but they'll build an addition on the vacant lot next door. That was the plan in 2014 at least (source: https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2014...er-proposal/):

2) Franciscan Outreach Association at 1645 W Le Moyne in Wicker Park to convert to 16 residential units

https://www.google.com/maps/place/16...!4d-87.6695464

3) Building permit was issued in October to convert an 1896-built former church assembly hall at 3132 S Lituanica in Bridgeport to 7 units. Building was slated for demolition I think - doesn't look like it's in great shape:

Current: https://www.google.com/maps/place/31...!4d-87.6487984

Plans here: https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3132...o-IL/14803642/)

Last edited by marothisu; Nov 9, 2019 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 12:27 AM

I had the chance to talk with some people involved with the Addison & Clark development again, and it sounds like that old auto body shop that got demolished nearby is still slated to be a CVS. Funny thing is that they're gonna have to build it around the billboard column on the site since some other party's got a 20-year lease on it.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Interesting. From a construction perspective, what can you build before you have a permit? I think half of the homes on Polk were permitted this summer with the other half permitted only a few days ago
The first half are up, doubt they started second half yet. You can build whatever you want without permits, the question is whether the city catches you or whatever they eventually approve on the permits. If you build something they don't end up approving you are screwed...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 4:16 AM
BANNED

I will shed a very happy tear when the day comes that we finally see a light on in that old Fullerton bank building.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 6:18 AM
Chicago

Roots Pizza - 744 S Dearborn

November 5, 2019

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 6:20 AM
Chicago

345 N Morgan

May 8, 2019

November 6, 2019

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development