HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
I mean, it's promoted content by PHL and British Airways it appears. Still nice to see. I don't know why Eastern State Penitentiary is so prominently featured as a cultural destination. Weird.
I'm surprised they are spending money to promote Philadelphia. British Airways money maker is NYC. It was surprising to see Philadelphia getting mentioned.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 1:24 PM

Quote:
I don't know why Eastern State Penitentiary is so prominently featured as a cultural destination. Weird.
ESP is ground zero for experimentation in incarceration as a punishment in of itself. From the structure to management of prisoners. Every prison around the world follows it's model. Since the prison was built over time, you can see the evolution from cell block to cell block. I wouldn't dismiss it as it's really unique historic attraction. Further, I think in today's society, how and why we incarcerate people is a major issue we are tackling.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
I'm surprised they are spending money to promote Philadelphia. British Airways money maker is NYC. It was surprising to see Philadelphia getting mentioned.
I can't imagine this mag hasn't already published hundreds of articles about NYC. And more seasoned travelers to the US want to go beyond NYC so this seems entirely appropriate.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
ESP is ground zero for experimentation in incarceration as a punishment in of itself. From the structure to management of prisoners. Every prison around the world follows it's model. Since the prison was built over time, you can see the evolution from cell block to cell block. I wouldn't dismiss it as it's really unique historic attraction. Further, I think in today's society, how and why we incarcerate people is a major issue we are tackling.
Agreed. Their permanent exhibit on mass incarceration is incredibly well done and comes across as being in some ways sort of subversive because you wouldn't necessarily expect to see that kind of content in a place that was part of creating the modern day system in the first place. The exhibit draws a ton of international comparisons making it abundantly clear that the US stands alone in how many people are in prison, for what duration, for what crimes, and how our prisons do nothing to rehabilitate or reintegrate people. I'd much sooner take a foreign visitor to ESP than to the Liberty Bell.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 2:55 PM

Quote:
I mean, it's promoted content by PHL and British Airways it appears. Still nice to see. I don't know why Eastern State Penitentiary is so prominently featured as a cultural destination. Weird.
I don't think the Penitentiary is inordinately featured - in fact they could have said more about it at Halloween and Bastille Day.
Charles Dickens was obsessed with it when he visited here.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 3:29 PM

ESP is great. Always a fan favorite when people visit me. Also, it sees a lot of people. It's gotta be top 20 in terms of most visited tourist sites in Philly. Definitely worth mentioning in a write up like this.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 4:23 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
This, plus it's a big attraction for people who believe in ghosties and are interested in paranormal things.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 4:36 PM
Chris

Big boost for Brewerytown which needs more eateries.

Brewerytown Food Hall will bring 7 eateries under one roof
https://www.inquirer.com/food/restau...-20230125.html

The Brewerytown neighborhood will get a mammoth food hall this spring, featuring dishes from Glu Hospitality’s seven concepts.

Brewerytown Food Hall, on the ground floor of the Lofts at Brewerytown at 31st and Master Streets, will take the space that was an Acme Markets distribution center before it was retrofitted in 2016 as Flying Fish Crafthouse and later was a short-lived pub called Hops. A March opening is planned, with dinner, happy hour, and weekend brunch.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
I don't think the Penitentiary is inordinately featured - in fact they could have said more about it at Halloween and Bastille Day.
Charles Dickens was obsessed with it when he visited here.
They don't do Bastille Day anymore I still miss it

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 8:49 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

T. M. Pierce Elementary School progress

by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 8:57 PM

One of the many things I miss about living in Francisville/Fairmount is ESP. ESP is one of those places where, no matter how many times you visit, you always find something new. I used to go often during Second Sundays, where residents of the 19130 zip code are granted free admission to ESP for up to six people.

Not only is ESP a sight to behold, but once you exit, you have great food and drink options along Fairmount Avenue to look forward to. Jack's Firehouse, Zorba's, Bar Hygge, Cantina Feliz, The Bishop's Collar, The Black Taxi, and Bad Brother are all great options for a post-exploration bite and/or drink!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
One of the many things I miss about living in Francisville/Fairmount is ESP. ESP is one of those places where, no matter how many times you visit, you always find something new. I used to go often during Second Sundays, where residents of the 19130 zip code are granted free admission to ESP for up to six people.

Not only is ESP a sight to behold, but once you exit, you have great food and drink options along Fairmount Avenue to look forward to. Jack's Firehouse, Zorba's, Bar Hygge, Cantina Feliz, The Bishop's Collar, The Black Taxi, and Bad Brother are all great options for a post-exploration bite and/or drink!
Just moved to 19130 recently and didn't know that! Definitely going to have to convince my roommates to go sometime. I agree though, ESP is cool from the outside every time I walk past. Plus the area of Fairmount Ave is great all around.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 4:15 AM

In a bit of good news regarding Philly public schools, I thought this was really cool. The school district is going to pilot a program about teaching kids about the trades and real estate development and guarantee them a job if they complete the course. Great way to give kids a path in life and to build the trades labor pool here in Philly. This Whyy article linked below doesn't mention it but another article on Fox29 mentions it is a pilot program they hope to expand upon to other schools, which would be great as well.

Philadelphia School District joins building trades unions to offer apprenticeship training

Quote:
The Philadelphia School District and the building trades unions are joining together in an effort to offer pre-apprenticeship training to high school students. The hope is the opportunity could lead to a lifelong career in a job that could pay six figures.

The effort is starting in the form of a pilot program at Strawberry Mansion High School. Head of the Building and Construction Trades Council Ryan Boyer said he would guarantee a position to anyone who can complete the course and their screening process.

“My life has been amazing because of this unionized construction industry,” Boyer said. ““My life’s mission is to give you that sort of opportunity.”

City Council President Darrell Clarke graduated from Strawberry Mansion High, and told students things have really changed over the years.

“Back in the day, they had wood shop, they had metal shop, they had electric shop. Right? And then somehow all that went away,” he said. “Here we are years later, talking about bringing meaningful opportunities here, educational opportunities that will lead not only to a good job, but it will lead to a career.”

Tylisa Williams is a graduate of the program, and is now an apprentice. She urged students to take the classes seriously because it’s the pathway to a better life.

“By the time you’re 21, a legal age, you can be driving whatever car you want, a house, everything. Take advantage. The opportunities are out here.”

The students will also receive financial education as part of the curriculum. Boyer said that is important because they can make a six figure potential income and if they don’t manage it well they won’t be able to become financially secure.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 1:15 PM

[QUOTE=Urbanthusiat;9849246]In a bit of good news regarding Philly public schools, I thought this was really cool. The school district is going to pilot a program about teaching kids about the trades and real estate development and guarantee them a job if they complete the course. Great way to give kids a path in life and to build the trades labor pool here in Philly. This Whyy article linked below doesn't mention it but another article on Fox29 mentions it is a pilot program they hope to expand upon to other schools, which would be great as well.

It seems so obvious.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 2:48 PM

Great to see Germantown gain more momentum:

Quote:
A new phase of the Wayne Junction revitalization plan is underway

Construction is slated to start this week on Arguto Court, an adaptive reuse project in southwest Germantown that will see a historically designated building converted into office space and a cafe.

The $3.1 million redevelopment begins the next phase of an ambitious plan to revitalize the blocks around SEPTA’s Wayne Junction Station, a slowly rising pocket of Philadelphia that once buzzed with industrial activity.

“Wayne Junction is a totally different place than it was 10 years ago,” said real estate developer Ken Weinstein. “It’s a place where people want to come now as opposed to a place people want to avoid.”
https://whyy.org/articles/philadelph...hase-underway/

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 4:49 PM

There's a ton of excavation going at the Dilworth House site. I didn't realize this one was going through. Rendering:

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 6:18 PM
Chris

^ That's awesome if true. I never understood the uproar over a relatively small boutique condo building.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
^ That's awesome if true. I never understood the uproar over a relatively small boutique condo building.
Anyone know the latest sales statistics for the Laurel?

I would expect another prime location high end condo building to get kicked off once that one is closer to sellout. (No, I am not considering Arthaus in this league even though I love it because its on Broad Street, which essentially a non-starter for many people).

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
Why another self storage building. This is literally next to the Erie-Torresdale station. What a waste
Such a waste. That whole area around the creek could be transformed into something teeming with life like what they're doing at J central, especially with the abandoned warehouse across from this.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 2:32 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Anyone know the latest sales statistics for the Laurel?

I would expect another prime location high end condo building to get kicked off once that one is closer to sellout. (No, I am not considering Arthaus in this league even though I love it because its on Broad Street, which essentially a non-starter for many people).
Last I read on their social in the fall it was 60%+ sold, seems a bit low, but still healthy (not sure stats for rentals). And 2100 Hamilton was 75%+ sold per an article last fall.

Some potential prime location, assuming condos...
Jewelers Row Tower
Dilworth House "Tower"
115 S. 19th Street
1700 Block of Walnut (arson site)

Sort of prime...
Sunoco Gas Station at 22nd/Walnut.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development