HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
This tower will look mighty fine from Griffith Park, Los Feliz, Silver Lake, and Echo Park area since the "V sides" will be distinguishable from these neighborhoods.

Is there a timeline for this project yet or can anyone guess when this bad boy will break ground?
Nothing yet. But seeing how they seem to be moving swiftly. I'd give it that we're 3-4 years away from seeing any actual deconstruction and construction since LA moves at a snails pace with the permitting processes. Not sure at how their finances are but it took the WG about 3 years to get work started with deconstruction, another year for foundation work, and started construction around 2014 with the proposal given to us in 2009...But obviously that was a totally different scenario since we were in the midst of a recession. Maybe we'll get lucky and only need 2 years.

Either way, if this thing gets canceled. I'll be devastated.

Last edited by caligrad; Jun 27, 2018 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Nothing yet. But seeing how they seem to be moving swiftly. I'd give it that we're 3-4 years away from seeing any actual deconstruction and construction since LA moves at a snails pace with the permitting processes. Not sure at how their finances are but it took the WG about 3 years to get work started with deconstruction, another year for foundation work, and started construction around 2014 with the proposal given to us in 2009...But obviously that was a totally different scenario since we were in the midst of a recession. Maybe we'll get lucky and only need 2 years.

Either way, if this thing gets canceled. I'll be devastated.
The Chinese do build fast so fingers crossed!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 9:01 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Some of their investments in LA have had a very short time-length from being a proposal to actual shovels in the ground. Lets hope!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 9:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Is there a timeline for this project yet or can anyone guess when this bad boy will break ground?
Yes, the building will open on January 17, 2024

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Yes, the building will open on January 17, 2024
I wish.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 11:11 PM

Can someone do a mockup of how this tower will look in the skyline from different vantage points, please?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 7:56 PM
Ω

The design is a little strange. And it has pretty bad street presence. I hope this is just a massing.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 9:17 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
The design is a little strange. And it has pretty bad street presence. I hope this is just a massing.
I mean it's in downtown LA... it's not like there's street presence anywhere there. LA isn't like most large cities where the CBD has life to it. I guess you could argue Staples Center's entertainment district is starting to give it life there, but this building isn't really close to that

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 12:43 AM

^ Agreed, but with the Regional Connector opening in a couple years pedestrian activity should somewhat improve. The 110 needs to be capped asap from 3rd St to 7th St. Now THAT will improve pedestrian activity.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 6:27 AM

Yes and no. Bunker Hill (where this is kinda located at the lower end), is a pedestrian dead zone, however pretty much everywhere else downtown is pretty average in the pedestrian department, id give it a C grade because of how wide some of the streets are. But south, Broadway, etc are just fine and getting better. Now all we need is for a developer and the city to work together to fix the giant freeway interchange that is Bunker Hill.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Yes and no. Bunker Hill (where this is kinda located at the lower end), is a pedestrian dead zone, however pretty much everywhere else downtown is pretty average in the pedestrian department, id give it a C grade because of how wide some of the streets are. But south, Broadway, etc are just fine and getting better. Now all we need is for a developer and the city to work together to fix the giant freeway interchange that is Bunker Hill.
Thank you. I'm always amused when armchair experts on LA, from basically anywhere but LA, bestow us with their wisdom.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:28 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
Thank you. I'm always amused when armchair experts on LA, from basically anywhere but LA, bestow us with their wisdom.
Today I learned that it's impossible to visit downtown LA and have an opinion on it without living there. Neato!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Today I learned that it's impossible to visit downtown LA and have an opinion on it without living there. Neato!
Wherever would you learn such a silly idea?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
YESS!!!!!!!!! Built it! Love seeing more height in LA
Given the Coastal Commission won't allow high rises along the CA coastline, then build it high enough so, on a clear day, you can enjoy ocean views!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:28 AM

Quote:
I agree, One Wilshire should be listed as 934 feet tall not 1100
Let's hope this inanity comes to an end, counting spires for height. All so childish, iMO!

You can't persuade me otherwise, Chicago still has the tallest building in the country!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:33 AM

Quote:
The Chinese do build fast so fingers crossed!
It's mind boggling to see how fast they built an interstate freeway system and high speed rail system in China!

Can we trade our slowpoke, political system for theirs just for 2-3-4-5 years?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:03 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Who said that ? No one is necessarily saying you're wrong. What we're saying is that there is more to Downtown than Bunker Hill where our tallest buildings are currently located. Does Bunker Hill suck for pedestrians ? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean you can write off South Park, the Historic Core and Broadway Corridor just because they lack the height. All of those areas are for the most part very pedestrian friendly and getting better. Bunker hill will probably be the last to get fully integrated with the rest of downtown just because of how it was set up, it will cost millions if not billions to correct.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:30 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
I agree, One Wilshire should be listed as 934 feet tall not 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
Let's hope this inanity comes to an end, counting spires for height. All so childish, iMO!

You can't persuade me otherwise, Chicago still has the tallest building in the country!
That would require the rewriting of history as we know it almost every "Tallest" building lies about its height. The Empire State Building at the time of its completion without a doubt was the tallest building in the world. However. It lists 102 floors yet most of the floors over 90 don't actually exist. Its recorded at 1,454 to the top of the antenna, 1,250 to the top of the "Roof" but its last actual working floors is right above the 86th floor observation deck which is only 1,050 ft up. Same with the Chrysler, its last actual floor is only 899ft up yet the building with its massive (but Gorgeous and probably the best spire on the planet) takes the height up to 1,046 feet up. Fun fact with the worlds current tallest Burj Khalifa, It lists a height of 2,717ft tall. Yet. Its tallest floor is only 1,918 ft up. So the top 800 ft is literally just a massive spire.

Its dumb and annoying for sure and I still view the US Bank tower as the tallest building in California since it is if we're going off roof height. But if changed now, all the architectural history books will have to be shredded....Imagine

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Ah yea. Those great "downtown Houston is like downtown LA" comparisons without any proof outside of few blocks.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 12:39 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Well I'm not from LA, nor am I an expert on it but I do like this building. Looks great! The Wilshire Grand is pretty sweet too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive