HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
A bit of a bummer if so.
I liked the warm brick-like color in the original renderings.
Yeah. I thought it was supposed to have a reddish brown hue, including the glass? I remember thinking it was very novel and striking.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 11:09 PM

Gray metal is always the cheapest-looking to me :/ I hope the red comes back somewhere

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 11:11 PM

Yeah I’m kinda disappointed, but it might blend well with the gray and blue towers nearby.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blart View Post
3/30

Man the grey is a huge let down. I'm gonna reserve judgement until it's finished but this went from incredible to just sort of meh. We'll see.

Edit: wait did they nix the outdoor space on the middle floors? It looks the same all the way up.

Last edited by Gatorade_Jim; Mar 31, 2023 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Man the grey is a huge let down. I'm gonna reserve judgement until it's finished but this went from incredible to just sort of meh. We'll see.

Edit: wait did they nix the outdoor space on the middle floors? It looks the same all the way up.
It’s like it’s turning out to be a completely different building. Lol

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 12:53 PM

While this cladding we're seeing in this image is now gray, I would like to point out the the faces with less brick cladding look like they have gray metal cladding as well. Hopefully they just flipped the colors, but that's only my theory

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 1:55 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
It’s like it’s turning out to be a completely different building. Lol
Yea... Go to Page 1 in the thread. That is a handsome building. This is a completely different design (not in a good way). It's those little touches (warm tones, outdoor spaces, cutouts, etc.) that make a tower a great.

But I will refrain from being negative until we see another 10 or so floors of cladding.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Yea... Go to Page 1 in the thread. That is a handsome building. This is a completely different design (not in a good way). It's those little touches (warm tones, outdoor spaces, cutouts, etc.) that make a tower a great.

But I will refrain from being negative until we see another 10 or so floors of cladding.
It’s starting to look like the new black cladded towers that are rather ubiquitous in NYC these days. I don’t mind them per se, but I think the reddish cladding would be more fitting for Rittenhouse.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 3:09 PM

Yesterday:

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 11:53 PM

I would suggest waiting until more of the cladding goes on until making judgement. The original renditions show gray cladding on certain sides of this building.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 1:58 AM

Is it possible to tear this down and put that beautiful parking garage back?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 2:23 AM

Photos taken 04/07/2023.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 8:53 PM
Fishtown & Country

4/13

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 10:56 PM

Well looks like its all gray. At least it's good infill and a density boost to rittenhouse.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 5:17 PM

Has this topped out? Its not unusual for the last occupied floor to have a taller ceiling, which appears to be the case here, so, I'm wondering------
Philly has had a number of out of town developers come in and end up building one project. This is Southern's third project, so maybe they are here for a while. I hope the apparent changes to this tower don't mean they've fallen into the Philly custom of down grading their plans after releasing the public concept. But as long as they keep building, there's always a chance something outstanding will get built. Their Walnut St. build is Ok, not cutting edge, but not boring either.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Has this topped out? Its not unusual for the last occupied floor to have a taller ceiling, which appears to be the case here, so, I'm wondering------
Philly has had a number of out of town developers come in and end up building one project. This is Southern's third project, so maybe they are here for a while. I hope the apparent changes to this tower don't mean they've fallen into the Philly custom of down grading their plans after releasing the public concept. But as long as they keep building, there's always a chance something outstanding will get built. Their Walnut St. build is Ok, not cutting edge, but not boring either.
While this is in a premier neighborhood I thought SLC made it pretty clear this will be "down-market" from the Laurel. Im sure with rising costs they decided to cut corners to maximize profit. This is all rentals after-all I doubt the tenants will care.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 9:45 PM

It can be noted to be an upgrade in construction material. The reddish orange looked good, but the decision was made to use glass that would be for a taller building. If anything, the laurel inspired the change. That project turned out great. This one looks great.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Washington View Post
It can be noted to be an upgrade in construction material. The reddish orange looked good, but the decision was made to use glass that would be for a taller building. If anything, the laurel inspired the change. That project turned out great. This one looks great.
Looks like they got rid of the balconies on the spine of the building as well what looked like an amenities balcony. It looks less interesting than the rendering.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayormccheese View Post
Looks like they got rid of the balconies on the spine of the building as well what looked like an amenities balcony. It looks less interesting than the rendering.
There are a lot of tall buildings nearby. This is not the glass economy of the 80's or 90's. I agree with you that there is an argument against the changes.
For Philadelphia its all about signature buildings. The exterior changes take the residents to a higher level of living.

Last edited by Jonathan Washington; Apr 16, 2023 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Washington View Post
For Philadelphia its all about signature buildings. The exterior changes take the residents to a higher level of living.
Signature buildings? That's what this is to you? And exterior changes take residents to a higher level of living? I don't follow your meaning. For years on this site the general consensus has been that what a building looks like on the outside means little in the Philly market. Location, pricing, bells and whistles, all lead the hit list. I'd love it if design cracked the top ten. Philly could use some sharp architecture.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction