HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Willis Tower Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 5:14 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
LOL - the place is not cheap, but in all honesty it's by far my favorite high altitude observation area in the city. Even if you have to pay $10 for a beer, it still beats what you pay for the observation deck or Tilt or the SkyDeck in both potential price and the views.
Its my go to when I host out of town guests. You can pay $30+ dollars for the skydeck, or for the same amount get about 3 brews each while getting just as good of a view at any of the obs decks.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 11:30 AM

Haha. As they say for the Signature Room....
Your not paying for the food, your paying for the view. And its worth every penny.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You mean like the 2 entire floors at the John Hancock Tower that has a restaurant and lounge/bar? I know it's not outside, but...you can get a 360 degree view and the views are incredible from pretty much all angles. Tilt is an interesting idea, but you would have been better off just going up to the lounge area (also a better deal than the Observation Deck). In my opinion, the 96th floor lounge offers the best views from a super high up place in Chicago - I prefer it hugely to Willis Tower's views any single second of the year.
But the fact remains that Willis is clearly the tourist favorite, if only, perhaps, because it's taller. I was there July 31-August 4. The general admission line when I was there was up to an hour and a half, and was going outside of the building. I had the fast pass, and it really would've sucked if I had to wait in that line. This was on a Monday afternoon. When I went to John Hancock, it was a Friday morning at 10:30, and I had the CityPass and everything, and there was literally no line. I walked into the building and straight to the elevator. It was great. Willis is clearly more popular, and the observation deck should definitely expand into another floor because of it.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
But the fact remains that Willis is clearly the tourist favorite, if only, perhaps, because it's taller. I was there July 31-August 4. The general admission line when I was there was up to an hour and a half, and was going outside of the building. I had the fast pass, and it really would've sucked if I had to wait in that line. This was on a Monday afternoon. When I went to John Hancock, it was a Friday morning at 10:30, and I had the CityPass and everything, and there was literally no line. I walked into the building and straight to the elevator. It was great. Willis is clearly more popular, and the observation deck should definitely expand into another floor because of it.
Yeah, it's totally more popular, but the Signature Room/Lounge has better views for a better price. Of course, the lines for that can be long too but not like the Willis Tower. I would never suggest it over the Signature Room/Lounge though. I do agree though, maybe another floor but next time you're in town, go to the Signature Lounge - get up and walk around and take in the views. Look at the pictures above - the view along the lakefront is amazing and it's at a more edge part of the downtown area's highrise/skyscraper density so you get a better view. With Tilt I think you only get one view - and looking out over the lake completely, or looking up north along the lakefront while you see the beaches and Lincoln Park, looking West even. Best time to go is when it's light out and get up there a little before sunset so you can see both light and dark.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 9:18 PM

The AON building is suppose to get an observation deck too! I wonder when it will be ready?

One Grant Park would be geat if it had one too.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 1:34 AM

As a member of the Metropolitan Club, we have spectacular views from the 67th floor of the Willis.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive