HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 5:46 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
It's also 5% of the 20km left to twin in Manitoba!
Passing and climbing lanes are at least a km long in Ontario. That length can do wonders.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
We were also out in Kenora on the weekend. I was under the impression that these were not long term projects. They have nothing to do with the twinning project. They have just been neglected for too many years. I believe they are timed to be complete by the summer, but I am not certain.
I too understood that the plan was to have this finished before summer. I know that the re-routing has changed a couple of times through the project (I go to K-town almost every weekend). That's a sign of progress, to me.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 6:29 PM

Regarding the 1km of twinning mentioned. It's not a bypass of the weigh scales. It's just adding the second lane on the north side, between the scales and the border.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 6:36 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
I too understood that the plan was to have this finished before summer. I know that the re-routing has changed a couple of times through the project (I go to K-town almost every weekend). That's a sign of progress, to me.
OK, that's good news.

It seemed interesting to me that every bridge was getting done at the same time. MB never seems to rush thru any infrastructure projects, so I was hoping it to be a sign of impending twinning construction on the our side of the border.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 8:24 PM

Would a 2+1 highway design work for highway 6 from the interlake up to Thompson, MB?

The Yellowhead Hwy is another choice, but I prefer twinning Hwy 16.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2023/03/...pilot-project/

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 8:32 PM

The 16 should be twinned to past Minnedosa, with an interchange at the Trans-Canada junction. Beyond that I'd say that 2-lane with a few extra passing lanes right to the Sask border is probably enough for the foreseeable future.

6 should probably be twinned beyond Grosse Isle, but it's not busy enough to require full 4-laning.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 8:37 PM

2+1 would be great.

I've always thought a 3 lane highway with alternating passing lanes each directions was a reasonable middle ground to twinning. Adding a barrier in the centre comes with issues such as snow, but is great in theory.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 8:44 PM

^ A barrier isn't necessary... the extra lane alone is a huge safety improvement.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 10:56 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
I wonder how much you pay for gas every week.
By the way, how does Kenora gas price compare with, say, Winnipeg? I always have the feeling that “remote” places have it more expensive.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I wonder how much you pay for gas every week.
By the way, how does Kenora gas price compare with, say, Winnipeg? I always have the feeling that “remote” places have it more expensive.
Generally it's about 10c/L more, although recently the gap has narrowed a bit. The gap creeps up, then there's a local outcry, the MP speaks out about it, the gap narrows....rinse and repeat.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 1:11 PM
What could go wrong?

Gas in Kenora over the weekend was $1.61.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 1:15 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
2+1 would be great.

I've always thought a 3 lane highway with alternating passing lanes each directions was a reasonable middle ground to twinning. Adding a barrier in the centre comes with issues such as snow, but is great in theory.
I don't know why we don't see more of these around here. The cable barrier would alleviate some of the issues surrounding blowing snow...no?

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 1:16 PM

Ya that'd be awesome. MTI for some reason doesn't use them much.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 11:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Really wouldn't call there stretch through Headingley as "twinned".
No, it’s Manitoba half-assed just the way we like it!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 7:41 PM

So a truck driver from southern Manitoba was injured by a three pound chunk of concrete that was launched through his windshield by a passing semi. This is our main connection the the US. How pathetic. Lucky he’s alive.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 9:02 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
So a truck driver from southern Manitoba was injured by a three pound chunk of concrete that was launched through his windshield by a passing semi. This is our main connection the the US. How pathetic. Lucky he’s alive.
Oh my god! That's freaky. I drove 75 on Friday to get to Fargo. The southbound lanes are in extremely poor condition. Northbound lanes are actually not too bad.

He should sue the province on principle, the loose chunks of concrete lying around are extremely dangerous.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 9:59 PM

The Province is putting a little touch of lipstick on the pig that is the Trans-Canada Highway through Headingley...

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.ht...ted=2023-05-03

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 10:20 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

At this rate, is M.I.T. abandoning Headingley Bypass and instead turning TCH into a divided freeway through there instead?
Even by Ontario standard, an overall ROW of 120 m: 60 m for the divided freeway with 15 m median, 30 m each for north and south service roads, will do the job.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 10:45 PM

I’d love to see Hwy 10 twinned from Minnedosa go around the north of Forest to connect to Hwy 110 around Brandon and then continue on and be twinned just past the Hwy 2 east bound intersection.
Love to see allllll of Hwy 16 twinned.
And Hwy 6 twinned up until the Hwy 68 intersection going to the Narrows

Hwy 1 and 16 should have the proper interchanges too

And of course excited to see number 1 be done and the future of 59 whenever that happens.

Old Posted May 6, 2023, 12:04 AM

The 2 tenders for Hwy 75 southbound between Ste Agathe and Morris closed. There were only 2 bids for each and Nelson River Construction got both of them. I am amazed that there were so few bidders, but I guess all of the pavers are busy this year. 40,000 cubic metres of concrete in one summer. It will be interesting to see how it goes...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan