HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I don't recall this one being Imperial Oil offices, but then during that period of time I spent most of my days haunting 'old Dartmouth'...
It was, as the carved letters on the sandstone above the front doors proclaimed, although I do not know when Imperial vacated the building. You might recall some mention that prior to them moving there mid-20th century, they were in the building on the corner of Upper Water and Duke (the former O'Carroll's restaurant) that after much kicking and screaming by heritage lobbyists eventually became Waterside Centre.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It was, as the carved letters on the sandstone above the front doors proclaimed, although I do not know when Imperial vacated the building. You might recall some mention that prior to them moving there mid-20th century, they were in the building on the corner of Upper Water and Duke (the former O'Carroll's restaurant) that after much kicking and screaming by heritage lobbyists eventually became Waterside Centre.
Yes, I do recall that the O'Carroll's building was originally occupied by Imperial Oil, and now this adds another piece to the lineage of that office (not that I've been trying to piece it together, but when it falls in your lap...).

I actually really like reading about the little bits and pieces of the histories of these buildings. Soon it will be just another one of those "then and now" pic collages on facebook...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
I found it amusing that the heritage plan's author, apparently believing this is a 1980's building, suggests that it "is constructed of historic looking materials. This includes antiqued bricking and single-hung 'factory' windows, which complements the historic buildings along the surrounding streetscapes. In addition the material includes concrete with distressed texture to give the appearance of historic sandstone."
This is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. It reminds me of a saying that used to circulate around some of the guys I went to school with: "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS...".

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Mar 22, 2023 at 10:58 AM. Reason: tamed the language ;-)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 4:02 PM

Building permit has been issued for this site;

1190 BARRINGTON STREET - $21.0M - 8 FL - 73 UNITS - RESIDENTIAL & RETAIL

I guess a demolition permit for the existing building will be the start of construction for this one.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 4:40 PM
Salty Town

Hopefully the design has changed.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 4:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Hopefully the design has changed.
Either way maybe it'll be torn down in 2050 and replaced with another building that is 4 storeys taller.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 7:26 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Source:https://www.kgarch.ns.ca/system/proj...jpg?1542402001

I assume this is the expected look since it's the only one on their site?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 5:26 AM

Building is now down. Since the building permit is approved and construction signage is up I'll consider this under construction.

HalifaxDevelopments.ca (Photo by David Jackson)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth