HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 7:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I was going off this article which seems to be an updated version of the above: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...oval-1.6766106

Now it's fully possible the company sought out the license to take advantage of any future law-changes, but until then they are pretty limited.
OK thanks for the clarification!

I wonder why the Premier and Opposition Leader are flipping out. Perhaps they misunderstood or reacted before Health Canada clarified.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Have fun driving your kids everywhere in your city when they're older because it's unsafe for them to walk or take transit by themselves.
Do what? I'll be down at my 7-11 doing a few rails and drinking a slurpee.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 9:16 PM

Quote:
OK thanks for the clarification!

I wonder why the Premier and Opposition Leader are flipping out. Perhaps they misunderstood or reacted before Health Canada clarified.
Hey look, it's exactly what I told you. You were the one flipping out.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 9:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Do what? I'll be down at my 7-11 doing a few rails and drinking a slurpee.
https://divadefence.com/

(Just remind them to leave it behind when they're going through airport security! )

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 12:14 AM

Unbelievable. I hope the Tories make Trudeau wear the total failure of our "justice system".

...Mr. Magalhaes was stabbed and killed in what police described as a random act of violence while he was sitting on a bench with a friend at Keele Station just before 9 p.m. on Saturday.

Jordan O’Brien-Tobin, 22, who is facing one charge of first-degree murder, has an extensive history of criminal convictions in both Ontario and Newfoundland and Labrador, according to court records obtained by The Globe and Mail. Police said he doesn’t have a fixed address....

....The judicial order indicated that Mr. O’Brien-Tobin would face probation conditions for two years and that failure to live up to them could result in his being re-jailed for up to four years. That resolution settled a string of outstanding drug and property crimes, but also several criminal charges involving allegations of assault and assault with a weapon.

The probation order from March of last year directed Mr. O’Brien-Tobin to stay away from five alleged victims – including a man he allegedly confronted with a knife in April, 2021. Mr. O’Brien-Tobin was also given a lifetime weapons ban and an order to surrender his DNA.

Ontario records suggest that Mr. O’Brien-Tobin was never supposed to have been in the province during his crime run. During an earlier set of release conditions, he had told a Newfoundland judge he would not be leaving that province.

Criminal records from Newfoundland and Labrador show Mr. O’Brien-Tobin had 28 convictions in a one-year period. Kelly Dunne, a court officer in St. John’s, said Monday that an arrest warrant was issued in April of 2021 for breaching probation and it remains active...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...+Article+Links

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Unbelievable. I hope the Tories make Trudeau wear the total failure of our "justice system".

...Mr. Magalhaes was stabbed and killed in what police described as a random act of violence while he was sitting on a bench with a friend at Keele Station just before 9 p.m. on Saturday.

Jordan O’Brien-Tobin, 22, who is facing one charge of first-degree murder, has an extensive history of criminal convictions in both Ontario and Newfoundland and Labrador, according to court records obtained by The Globe and Mail. Police said he doesn’t have a fixed address....

....The judicial order indicated that Mr. O’Brien-Tobin would face probation conditions for two years and that failure to live up to them could result in his being re-jailed for up to four years. That resolution settled a string of outstanding drug and property crimes, but also several criminal charges involving allegations of assault and assault with a weapon.

The probation order from March of last year directed Mr. O’Brien-Tobin to stay away from five alleged victims – including a man he allegedly confronted with a knife in April, 2021. Mr. O’Brien-Tobin was also given a lifetime weapons ban and an order to surrender his DNA.

Ontario records suggest that Mr. O’Brien-Tobin was never supposed to have been in the province during his crime run. During an earlier set of release conditions, he had told a Newfoundland judge he would not be leaving that province.

Criminal records from Newfoundland and Labrador show Mr. O’Brien-Tobin had 28 convictions in a one-year period. Kelly Dunne, a court officer in St. John’s, said Monday that an arrest warrant was issued in April of 2021 for breaching probation and it remains active...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...+Article+Links
I know that the criminal code is federal but what does Trudeau have to do with provincial courts and judges and police that likely weren't federal?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 2:06 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I know that the criminal code is federal but what does Trudeau have to do with provincial courts and judges and police that likely weren't federal?
Well for starters, I am pretty sure that in spite of the fact that they serve in provincial buildings and courts, most provincial judges in Canada are in fact named by the federal government. (This is not a well-known fact to most people.)

So the judges making these decisions are federal appointments.

Also, the softening of bail and mandatory sentencing in recent years is all the work of the federal, or decisions made by the Supreme Court which is federally-apppointed too.

Recently there have been a few highly-publicized cases in Quebec where guilty sexual offenders have been allowed to serve their sentence at home and the judges have invoked new federal laws or amendments in their decision to not send these guys to jail. It's almost as if they've been saying they have no choice. (No idea if this is a cop-out however.)

Last edited by Acajack; Mar 30, 2023 at 2:17 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
This is like asking why you need to pay federal income taxes when you only live in a province.

Or are you saying that I don’t need to pay federal income taxes? If so please forward me you CRA employee number so I can reference your official guidance.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 2:40 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Another random stabbing in Metro Vancouver yesterday. Some guy followed the victim on to the bus in Surrey, and slit his throat. They didn't know each other.

There seems to be a lot of random stabbings in Canada lately.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 3:54 AM
Community Guy

That's awful.

Our condo in Edmonton had 3 people 'camped out' in the corner of our lobby this morning smoking meth out in the open and threatened a resident as they walked by. Tape later showed them trying to get into the parkade and elevator to no avail.

Thankfully they left shortly thereafter, but holy crap that's scary, brazen and without care.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 3:40 PM

IAN Talking with a person running an inner city agency. I've been helping raise money for his group. They had to close down one location because of the unsafe conditions for the staff. There have been numerous break-ins, vandalism and assaults. There is a new smaller group that is demanding services and being belligerent if they have to wait or are told there is nothing else.

About once a month my wife and I help out doing dinner service at an inner city facility. being doing it for about 6 years. 2 weeks ago we had finished service. No food left. had a woman come in and demanded we feed her. And kept making demands even after the pastor cooked up some food just for her. The pastor has also said there is a new bitterness out there.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 5:10 PM

I play an internal game where I try to guess if a person has a small bluetooth earbud or is just delusional. The clothes don't help much as a clue, anymore.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 3:49 AM
Community Guy

^^TIM! There certainly is a different feeling out there...

I was at the court of appeal today in Downtown Calgary and walked to lunch 3 blocks away as this happened.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/multiple-...pree-1.6340787

What in the absolute F is happening to this country.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^^TIM! There certainly is a different feeling out there...

I was at the court of appeal today in Downtown Calgary and walked to lunch 3 blocks away as this happened.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/multiple-...pree-1.6340787

What in the absolute F is happening to this country.
My take is that it is a combination of things:

1) People are getting desperate in finding ways to afford food and shelter.
2) Violent offenders are being released when they probably shouldn't be, which signals "hey, I can do x, y, and z and not actually go to jail for an extended period", resulting in a snowball effect for crime as offenders know they won't actually be punished

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 2:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Chill out guys. Crime is actually down, isn't it?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 3:59 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

I think we've got a bit of a perfect storm of factors:

- Housing/rental crisis has pushed many vulnerable people into more precarious situations on the streets.

- The effect of the Pandemic. This frayed community & social supports & stability for many of those vulnerable people, affecting their mental health and/or making them more susceptible to addiction.

- The healthcare crisis. Staff shortages affect mental health care too, and with more demand on the system than ever post-pandemic, it's become even harder to get care.

- Increasing demand for homeless services & food banks, while donations have fallen as the cost of living rises. Meanwhile people are also less likely to carry change to give panhandlers. The overall situation for the homeless has therefore become more desperate.

- The current climate of the justice system which favours leniency over punishment, which has put many dangerous offenders back on the streets.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 4:01 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Chill out guys. Crime is actually down, isn't it?

I know you're being facetious, but it's also very possible for crime to be down overall while random violence against the general public is up.

Or in the case of Toronto for example, year to year homicide was down in 2022, but all other violent crimes were up.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 5:07 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I think we've got a bit of a perfect storm of factors:

- Housing/rental crisis has pushed many vulnerable people into more precarious situations on the streets.

- The effect of the Pandemic. This frayed community & social supports & stability for many of those vulnerable people, affecting their mental health and/or making them more susceptible to addiction.

- The healthcare crisis. Staff shortages affect mental health care too, and with more demand on the system than ever post-pandemic, it's become even harder to get care.

- Increasing demand for homeless services & food banks, while donations have fallen as the cost of living rises. Meanwhile people are also less likely to carry change to give panhandlers. The overall situation for the homeless has therefore become more desperate.

- The current climate of the justice system which favours leniency over punishment, which has put many dangerous offenders back on the streets.
This, and I would reiterate the mental health aspect of it. There seems to be many people suffering from mental illnesses that should be in a mental health facility and not wandering the streets aimlessly, but that comes down to a lack of beds and operational resources to maintain them (i.e. nursing shortage).

What is frustrating is that we know what the solutions are to all of these issues, but there is no political will to fund them to the level that is needed.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Honest question: Do we have any evidence that the justice system itself has become more lenient? I know some Harper-era laws have been struck down, but I don't believe those laws have ever been conclusively tied to reductions in crime.

One major item missing from your list is lack of enforcement. The police, at least here in Toronto, appear to have just given up. I know more than one person who has been the victim of a serious crime and who has had no follow up from the police after phoning it in. How do you get violent people off the street if the police stop investigating violent crimes? That's not even mentioning the utter lack of enforcement on traffic violations, vandalism, fare evasion, &c., altogether leading to a culture of impunity.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 7:38 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
One major item missing from your list is lack of enforcement. The police, at least here in Toronto, appear to have just given up. I know more than one person who has been the victim of a serious crime and who has had no follow up from the police after phoning it in. How do you get violent people off the street if the police stop investigating violent crimes? That's not even mentioning the utter lack of enforcement on traffic violations, vandalism, fare evasion, &c., altogether leading to a culture of impunity.
That's an important issue to add.

It's crazy how much more dirty the public realm has become in Vancouver (especially East Vancouver), and driving can be pretty nuts at times. I've had people flying pass me going 150km+ on Hwy 1 through Burnaby/Coquitlam on multiple occasions.

The only sirens I hear (and I hear them often) are always ambulances and fire trucks. Rarely do I see a cop car going somewhere in a hurry.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada