HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 2:06 PM

agreed when you factor in lobby and other amenity like aquatic, PLP / Stride and Dauphin are at the top.

Niv is adding seating / club lounge / team dressing room already. They built before MJ confirmed they were getting a team. It's a great rink with gymnasium and attached to high school too.

Winkler built a brand new rink a few years ago (Meridian Centre) and it includes a indoor soccer / gym but it only sits under 500 so the MJ Flyers play out of original rink. Heard that they got $8mil from Feds to do some reno's but not sure what that includes.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 2:52 PM

Interesting, I didn't know that Niverville was upgrading. It's a lovely rink... the fan support they get down there justifies adding some features.

It's kind of sad to see how the Winnipeg teams fare compared to their country cousins. They toil in anonymity, in plain community rinks...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 2:58 PM
the first stamp is free

^ the new Niverville rink is nice, but I think Seven Oaks is a very similar - but better of a facility over all.

Maybe it's just because everything inside the Niverville seems to be painted white. It needs some colour in there.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 3:00 PM

I find that new arenas tend to start out a little on the plain side before colour/character are added over time. I'm sure Niverville will get there soon too.

Incidentally, you are right about Seven Oaks... that is a great facility too. It's such a pleasure to go to a rink in town that isn't dingy and depressing. Maginot and the ones like it are the worst for that.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 4:27 PM

Niv expansion will add 300+, brining closer to 1000 capacity.

"The first section will be similar to the existing bleacher area, only with bar seating that faces the ice and a row of bistro-style tables and chairs behind. A few steps up will take you to the pub-style seating area, with a full bar"

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 4:34 PM
the first stamp is free

^ Full bar in Niverville? tsk tsk

haha

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ Full bar in Niverville? tsk tsk

haha
Niv ain't like it use to be! Smitty's just opened and Santa Lucia and soon Pita Pit and hotel

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 6:10 PM

Niverville, etc are attractive places. Houses are cheap compared to Winnipeg. I can get a lot more for my dollar. Was looking at new homes in Niverville last night. The drive though... 40 min vs my 13 min drive.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 6:15 PM
the first stamp is free

Definitely an nice ex-urb. But yeah, the commute is a deal breaker for me.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Niverville, etc are attractive places. Houses are cheap compared to Winnipeg. I can get a lot more for my dollar. Was looking at new homes in Niverville last night. The drive though... 40 min vs my 13 min drive.
According to Censusmapper, the "hidden mortgage" paid by living in Niverville is about $260,000. Interestingly, there are parts of the city where that figure is actually higher, though of course on a whole it's much lower than living in an exurb.

The figure tries to capture the financial and time costs of commuting, derived from census data. More methodological detail is behind the link.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 7:10 PM

If you work in the suburbs or outside the city, or maybe WFH full time, Niverville could make sense. But that would be an awful location from which to do the 9 to 5 commute downtown or to the inner city generally.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 2:16 AM

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 1:05 PM

Pistons are playing out of "HyLife Arena" in La Broquerie next year. They already been booted from practicing in Steinback due to demo prep. They won MJ championship and are heading to Portage for Centennial cup.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If you work in the suburbs or outside the city, or maybe WFH full time, Niverville could make sense. But that would be an awful location from which to do the 9 to 5 commute downtown or to the inner city generally.
Even if you WFH, it’s not just a 40 min drive to commute, it’s a 40 min drive to do anything. There’s like one park and a handful of restaurants in town. In the city I have trails, paths, and dozens of destinations within a 20 minute bike ride. You ride for 3 mins in Niverville and you’re in a farmer’s field, then I guess you just turn around and go home? How many times can you go to Dairy Queen in a year? I guess if you’re a “my home is my castle” type who never really wants to leave the house then it’s fine.

Not all small towns are like that, lots of them have a walkable main street, and access to nature trails and outdoor recreation. But Niverville is literally just houses in an open field. I guess some people like it. I just feel like I would be bored out of my skull after 2 weeks.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Even if you WFH, it’s not just a 40 min drive to commute, it’s a 40 min drive to do anything. There’s like one park and a handful of restaurants in town. In the city I have trails, paths, and dozens of destinations within a 20 minute bike ride. You ride for 3 mins in Niverville and you’re in a farmer’s field, then I guess you just turn around and go home? How many times can you go to Dairy Queen in a year? I guess if you’re a “my home is my castle” type who never really wants to leave the house then it’s fine.

Not all small towns are like that, lots of them have a walkable main street, and access to nature trails and outdoor recreation. But Niverville is literally just houses in an open field. I guess some people like it. I just feel like I would be bored out of my skull after 2 weeks.
The older I get the more I turn into a "my home is my castle" type

But yeah, some people are like that and Niverville is the kind of place for them. It's not for everyone, in the same way that an Exchange District condo probably isn't for everyone either.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 10:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post

Wow, colour me shocked, in complete agreement with an Edward TH post!

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 9:15 PM

Rupture the gas line for a little extra fun.

https://steinbachonline.com/articles...struction-site

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 9:23 PM

bruh. call before you dig.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 9:48 PM

Progress at the SEC

Bethesda Regional Health Centre expansion visible in the background

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 9:52 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan