HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Willis Tower Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 6:13 PM

CHICAGO | Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) Hotel | 50 FLOORS | PRO

Sears Tower plans 'green' hotel
Comments

June 24, 2009

BY DAVID ROEDER droeder@suntimes.com
Owners of Sears Tower unveiled today a $350 million makeover to reduce the famous high-rise's energy consumption.

The plans include giving the tower a new neighbor, a 50-story hotel that the Sears owners said would feature "net zero" use of energy. The new building, sat the northeast corner of Jackson and Wacker, would be designed by noted architect Adrian Smith of the firm Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/163...062409.article

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 6:22 PM

I like renderings where the top isn't cropped out of the frame.

That said, the placement of it bothers me. Looks "squeezed in".

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm30 View Post
I like renderings where the top isn't cropped out of the frame.

That said, the placement of it bothers me. Looks "squeezed in".
Maybe because it's squeezed in.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 8:09 PM
THAT Guy

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 6:59 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Looks like an adaptation of S/G's Clean Technology Tower- the net-zero-energy prototype with wind turbines.

Also buried in the article is that Willis will be replacing all of Sears' window panes in an energy retrofit, along with the HVAC and lighting.

Should be interesting, however it transpires.

PS - thanks much hydro.

Last edited by wrab; Jun 24, 2009 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 7:18 PM
tilted & shifted

That Sears will not be painted silver is mentioned rather unceremoniously, almost as a footnote. Very ironic considering that, when first announced, it was headline news.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 7:32 PM

I don't like that they are building (or planning to build) on the Sears Tower plaza. The hotel looks good at least, if crammed. But while I am not a fan of putting plazas everywhere, some work well. The AMA building plaza was nice and well utilized, the hotel that is being built there is taking away from AMA. I think that the planned plazas enhance the architecture of the building they front (and others). This is becoming an unsettling trend - maybe next we can build in the plazas in front of Equitable and IBM.....

On a side note, I think I missed this or am confused. Showman's/Harry Hot Dogs is now gone so we can have a plaza (one I don't like) for 155 N Wacker (you know, across from the low rise Walgreens and the tragedy that was the old CME), but are the other two buildings still coming down or not? And did they get the property by ED finally or did they buy out the owners?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 1:40 PM
Honored Member

ha!

I think that the planned plazas enhance the architecture of the building they front (and others). This is becoming an unsettling trend - maybe next we can build in the plazas in front of Equitable and IBM.....Oh Please, make it so...crying out to all developers and architects...destroy the IBM plaza and build, build, build, and make it high, high, high. Surround its ugliness with futuristic Jetsons designed structures.
[CENTER][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Ornamentation is the principal part of architecture, considered as a subject of fine art.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue] - [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][URL="http://www.giga-usa.com/quotes/authors/john_ruskin_a001.htm"]John Ruskin[/URL], [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][I]True and Beautiful--Sculpture[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 12:33 AM

This is a fascinating idea. A couple of things in the article surprised me since I am not in Chicago and don't follow news there that close:

The Sears Tower is going to be renamed the Willis Tower?

They were considering painting it silver?

They are going to be able to reduce energy consumption by 80 percent?

All in all, very interesting proposal. I hope it goes through. The design is meh and I agree that it doesn't need to be so close to the Sears, but those are small nits for me to be picking at.

"I should be floating but I'm weighted by thinking"

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 1:35 AM
Stay Thirsty.

I loves it! Chicago is going crazy with their 'green buildings'.

It is too bad that it is crammed into such a small space, tho. It won't have the exposure it would elsewhere in Chicago's skyline because of the overbearing presence of the Sears. Still very attractive, nonetheless.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 1:40 AM
BANNED

What I really like about the Hotel is the double facade, those have a tendency to look absolutely crystalline and beautiful. I mean the only one currently in Chicago that I know of is in Loyola's Internet Commons and it looks fantastic and adds a ton of interest to the building. I can't imagine 50 floors of that with skygardens interspersed. If they build this I hope it is done with excellent execution and becomes revolutionary not for its aesthetics but for its engineering.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 5:02 AM
Endless Moments...

Well it is a nice looking hotel. But it is so close to the ST. Hmm but if it will help it out, why not. I say go for it...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 9:26 AM
arf

It's like the BIC lighter for the giant stoggie that is the Sears Tower. It's looking so futuristic and cool in the renderings. Not sure how I feel about the proximity to Sears, but the contrast is quite striking.

And as Nowhereman1280 said, the double facade has the chance to look really slick against the black of Sears.

It's a very interesting proposal.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 8:45 PM

I love it! Build it!!!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 2:07 AM
Hopeful Graduate

This is a very nice building, however I do not feel that it will be that noticeable being next to the sears tower because it is extremely small in comparison and is very close. Does anyone have an idea of an aproximate height of this hotel?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 3:01 AM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymant View Post
This is a very nice building, however I do not feel that it will be that noticeable being next to the sears tower because it is extremely small in comparison and is very close. Does anyone have an idea of an aproximate height of this hotel?
The render puts it at Sears first setback. That's 200 meters.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 2:28 AM

Heh, cool idea, both in design and urban positioning. Realistically, how likely is it to get built?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 9:22 PM

It's amazing how small a 50 story building looks next the Sears tower. It would be seen for miles away in all but the major cities of the U.S.

Net Zero Energy? Doesn't it take alot of energy to *build* it?? One way or another, its going to consume energy.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 10:09 PM
World Machine

I think it would be a cool idea on it's own merits, but merged close together with Sears it comes off awkward at best. Like the tower, but not fond of the location.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 10:12 PM

^ I like anything that makes the sears look even more monstrous than it already is

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive