HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 9:29 PM
The City

^ That's kind of the point I was trying to make

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 9:31 PM
1st Ward

Goddamn that some nice height! Two (almost three) 500 footers that are all well outside of the main skyscraper spine. It will do wonders to pull the skyline west and north! Love it!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 10:04 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Didn't have too much new info other than the site plan, unfortunately - everything else in 'In Progress.'

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 10:39 PM
TL;DR

691' is insane for that location... just bonkers tall for a non-CBD site.

Reminds me of DT Brooklyn or Long Island City, although those are mini CBDs and Goose Island is a sleepy industrial zone...

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 11:36 PM

Goose Island wont be sleepy for long
Chicago Bears, Super Bowl Champs 1985.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 12:16 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
...Goose Island is a sleepy industrial zone...
Which is perfect. No NIMBY neighbors to raise a massive stink about this development. See: 125 W Maple.

Build tall now and then have the shorter and less dense infill follow...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 12:22 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ That's kind of the point I was trying to make
See what happens when you actually try to read sarcasm into someone's post. I completely missed it.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 12:46 AM
Show me the blueprints

Would be cool if a Marina City thing was done here where one or two of the towers hovered over an inletbwith docks.

And yes, bitchin height.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 4:10 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
sadly there is another gas station coming up at Halsted and Division... once they are in, it's decades to be gone... and it's just across from another one...but this is still exciting - what will it take for Goose Island development to move all the way north and meet lincoln yards? we know that Wrigley isn't going anywhere - but I can see Home Depot selling off some parking lots (or do a deck), Morton Salt has plans to be a museum and entertainment venue... the rest of the island just seems ripe for going vertical (and maybe saving some of the great older / taller brick structures). Otherwise, it's Comcast, restaurant depot, warehouses, auto services... those just aren't gonna stick around once the city stops pretending that this will be a manufacturing hub again
Goose Island itself is still reserved for low-scale industrial development, except the Greyhound site. The PMD is still in force there.

Past that, it's got awful transit connections so the city needs to build that transitway up the middle of the island...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 8:39 PM

APPROVED by plan commission...

During the meeting it was stated that the development would go before the plan commission for each phase as a 'courtesy' so that each building could have its own identity.

Personally I think that's great news. Hopefully we'll have more individuality and less repetitiveness.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 9:58 PM
1st Ward

Awesome news!

I would love, one day in the distant future, to have Goose Island resemble some sort of mini-Manhattan. This is a good start towards this dream, as unlikely as its full fruition may be.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 4:20 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
Or mini Pittsburgh!
Yep! Without question, Halsted Point's location at the junction of the North Branch and the canal certainly does cause it to bear a resemblance to the Golden Triangle!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 4:40 PM

Reading the presentation charts and looking at that "ghost image" above, it looks like Onni plans on building the tower in the NW corner first and then moving clockwise with each tower going before the plan commission when they are ready to get started on it. Is that right?

If they build at the pace of Old Town Park, it shouldn't drag out for too long. While I wouldn't describe their towers are "stunning," they are generally of good design those lights on the cranes at night are neat.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 6:37 PM

It's wild to think that in 10 years, Halsted will be lined with skyscrapers from North/Clybourn all the way down to the Ike. If UIC becomes serious about redeveloping their parking lots, then even Roosevelt is a possibility.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 10:12 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
It's wild to think that in 10 years, Halsted will be lined with skyscrapers from North/Clybourn all the way down to the Ike. If UIC becomes serious about redeveloping their parking lots, then even Roosevelt is a possibility.
UIC's current master plan calls for a new arena at Halsted/Roosevelt so it's likely the parking along Halsted is there to stay. Seems like a bad idea to me, it's horribly congested there as-is and no easy rail access... but I guess it would bring more customers to the businesses in University Village/Maxwell and have synergies with the Dorin Forum for conventions/events.

Under this plan the current UIC Pavilion would be demolished and the whole area at Racine/Harrison redeveloped into some kind of tech park. It's a pretty vague concept, so I'm assuming plans will change.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 4:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

update from Chicago Yimby:

Quote:
Chicago City Council Approves Rezoning For Mixed-Use Development At 901 N Halsted Street In Goose Island

BY: IAN ACHONG 7:45 AM ON SEPTEMBER 16, 2021

The Chicago City Council has approved the rezoning of land for a mixed-use development at 901 N Halsted Street in Goose Island. The Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture-designed building will be the first phase of Halsted Pointe, a major planned development by Onni Group. Construction will begin in the first quarter of 2022, taking 24 to 30 months to complete.

The 48-story tower will rise to an architectural height of 504 feet including a five-story, 58-foot-tall podium which will contain nearly 20,000 square feet of retail space. The building’s lower level will hold a majority of said retail space along with the entrance to the underground and upper levels of the 200-vehicle parking garage. The podium levels will also have most of the amenity spaces including bike storage, a dog run, a gym with separate studio and spa/wellness space, a game room with a golf simulator, party room, and rooftop pool among various outdoor decks.
full article: https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/09/chi...se-island.html

i love that they're starting out big, with phase 1 being a 500-footer.

there's nothing that tall anywhere around the site; it's really gonna pull the skyline NW

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
UIC's current master plan calls for a new arena at Halsted/Roosevelt so it's likely the parking along Halsted is there to stay. Seems like a bad idea to me, it's horribly congested there as-is and no easy rail access... but I guess it would bring more customers to the businesses in University Village/Maxwell and have synergies with the Dorin Forum for conventions/events.

Under this plan the current UIC Pavilion would be demolished and the whole area at Racine/Harrison redeveloped into some kind of tech park. It's a pretty vague concept, so I'm assuming plans will change.
Is the plan to build on the empty field on the northwest corner?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 5:38 PM

Is the 691 footer building in Phase 2?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 5:50 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
update from Chicago Yimby:

full article: https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/09/chi...se-island.html

i love that they're starting out big, with phase 1 being a 500-footer.

there's nothing that tall anywhere around the site; it's really gonna pull the skyline NW
I have a lot of confidence in Onni Group, they seem like a well oiled machine. Their multi-tower project at Wells/Division was pretty smooth sailing.

They seem to like multitower projects that are big enough to give them years of work, but just small enough to be able to pull off in one fell swoop; ie they aren't going to be left holding the bag on a half developed parcel due to bad planning, changes in market conditions, politics, unexpected financial issues, etc which can often occur with these really huge mega-projects like Lakeshore East, 'The 78', Lincoln Yards, etc.

I applaud Onni for their "Wham, bam, thank you Ma'am" approach, even if their designs aren't the best. They get towers built, and that matters.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 10:51 PM
1st Ward

Starting off with a 500 footer, damn. That will make a nice splash!

The river architectural boat tours will be going up a bit further on the north branch once this project gets a few towers up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals