HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 12:17 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenster View Post
I can’t stand that the Comcast lights don’t change. So out of place with the rest of the city vibe. They stick out in a bad way.
At least the Original Comcast tower had the changeable lights at the top, but they for some reason don't change them at all.

Now for the 2nd tower and the beacon of Philly, I do not understand why they wouldn't make their prize building have a color changing Beacon.

Sometimes I want to find out who runs the Lighting department at Comcast and email them to try to get some color in both buildings lighting scheme.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 3:41 PM

They’re too austere for that. It’s just not a “hey look at me” leadership group despite their successes and the fact that they own one of the highest profile entertainment brands on the planet. At heart, it’s still a bunch of dudes who got rich laying coax cables.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 4:19 PM

Many individuals have varying view; that's what makes living in a big city so colourful. I understand the concept of building to scale and the placement of skyscrapers with respect to the skyline but having a building that is taller than any others around it isn't unheard of. When City Hall was build as well as when Liberty One was built no other buildings were close to their height in area. Even now the FMC Tower is far taller than any building west or east of the Schuylkill River; noting west of 20th Street is even close to its height so for a tower to stand out in the skyline isn't really rare.

When it comes to skyscrapers; the overall skyline of Philadelphia and the degree of aesthetics that can be had for the skyline; my personal view is that if a supertall someday is built in Schuylkill Yards that would be good. We are seeing recent building and recent projects west of the Schuylkill River so to see a supertall in the area would fit nicely; it would be far larger than any buildings in the area but when we consider that we are seeing buildings being built between 300'-750' in the area; everything short of the FMC Tower; it wouldn't appear outrageous.

If we ever see development at Penn's Landing that would be great; I've been waiting decades for that personally.

If Penn's Landing built as planned and Schuylkill Yards takes off with a supertall; we could see a skyline expand from the Delaware River to 38th Street; especially if we consider the way University City rises geologically because it sits up higher than most of downtown in footage above sea level. We could see an expansive downtown that will only fill in more and more once supertalls are added however this all depends on anchor tenants; the business environment and how things are marketed I suppose.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
They’re too austere for that. It’s just not a “hey look at me” leadership group despite their successes and the fact that they own one of the highest profile entertainment brands on the planet. At heart, it’s still a bunch of dudes who got rich laying coax cables.
It's an older company now. should read

dudes who got rich from their dads laying coax cables.

Fixed that for you.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 5:00 PM

i’m going back to that pico lot, does PECO employees doesn’t have parking that why there occupying that lot ?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 6:22 PM

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 6:40 PM
Chris

^ Wow! Built on spec, and just a block away from the recently announced Wexford project.

Why does the Wexford project include ~800 parking spaces, yet this will have 45?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
^ Wow! Built on spec, and just a block away from the recently announced Wexford project.

Why does the Wexford project include ~800 parking spaces, yet this will have 45?
One of the main drivers for the bio growth is U of P . It's so very important for Philadelphia's Universities to reinvest . I personally would love to see a consortium of mathematics , Philadelphia Insitute of Mathematics .Penn ranked 5th world wide by start up founders .
https://pitchbook.com/news/articles/...rsity-rankings

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 7:25 PM

Isn't the inclusion of so much more parking in the other development much more indicative to the fact that there is a grocery store going in the other?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 7:44 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtut View Post
One of the main drivers for the bio growth is U of P . It's so very important for Philadelphia's Universities to reinvest . I personally would love to see a consortium of mathematics , Philadelphia Insitute of Mathematics .Penn ranked 5th world wide by start up founders .
https://pitchbook.com/news/articles/...rsity-rankings
Thanks for posting, that's extremely impressive (and I guess not surprising) with regard to Penn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Isn't the inclusion of so much more parking in the other development much more indicative to the fact that there is a grocery store going in the other?
Likely? Still seems excessive. At least the parking is above the first floor retail and sort of camouflaged.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 11:45 PM

New fencing has been erected nearby at The Mason, likely the start of the new Target store. This Target may be the start of a boom of new grocery stores in UCity, The Wexford Ucity Square project, plus a couple others all indicate grocery tenants.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1 View Post
New fencing has been erected nearby at The Mason, likely the start of the new Target store. This Target may be the start of a boom of new grocery stores in UCity, The Wexford Ucity Square project, plus a couple others all indicate grocery tenants.
I know that they aren't exactly the same business but how come Target can work in the city and not WaWa? I see homeless folks outside of the Center City Targets quite often, and I'm sure they've had to deal with some theft here and there but they aren't cutting and running.

I dunno, I should probably get over it but this WaWa abandonment really bugs me for some reason.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdawk View Post
I know that they aren't exactly the same business but how come Target can work in the city and not WaWa? I see homeless folks outside of the Center City Targets quite often, and I'm sure they've had to deal with some theft here and there but they aren't cutting and running.

I dunno, I should probably get over it but this WaWa abandonment really bugs me for some reason.
Well off the top of my head Target hires police officers to watch their stores in certain areas CC being one of them. I also think it has to do with the clientele of WAWA vs Target. Target really tries to cater to moderate to affluent incomes whereas WAWA targets everyone and hopes for the best.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdawk View Post
I know that they aren't exactly the same business but how come Target can work in the city and not WaWa? I see homeless folks outside of the Center City Targets quite often, and I'm sure they've had to deal with some theft here and there but they aren't cutting and running
The CC Targets have still experienced a degree of deterioration. In addition to one (or more) police stationed inside each store that a commenter mentioned, 90% of their cosmetics, pharmaecuticals, toiletries, and even cleaning products are now annoyingly behind lock and key. They have more groceries and less grab-and-go convenience foods, which might also make some difference.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
The CC Targets have still experienced a degree of deterioration. In addition to one (or more) police stationed inside each store that a commenter mentioned, 90% of their cosmetics, pharmaecuticals, toiletries, and even cleaning products are now annoyingly behind lock and key. They have more groceries and less grab-and-go convenience foods, which might also make some difference.
I think the Target in Northern Liberties looks better than ever.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I noticed the locked up stuff at the location on 1100 block of chestnut last week, very annoying but I understand why they are doing it- welcome to Center City retail 2022 style. Since you can steal stuff without getting in trouble stores are either locking everything down or closing up shop.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 1:31 PM
Chris

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
I noticed the locked up stuff at the location on 1100 block of chestnut last week, very annoying but I understand why they are doing it- welcome to Center City retail 2022 style. Since you can steal stuff without getting in trouble stores are either locking everything down or closing up shop.
I agree this is annoying, and I think shoplifting should be treated as a harsh criminal offense, no matter what the value is.

But, this is not a Philadelphia specific issue. At least half of the items at Targets in Manhattan are locked. The Herald Square store is a s**t show. You need a Target employee to follow you around when shopping.

I also noticed locks in Chicago and DC stores. An unfortunate reality of the world we live in...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 2:21 PM

Quote:
I agree this is annoying, and I think shoplifting should be treated as a harsh criminal offense, no matter what the value is.

But, this is not a Philadelphia specific issue. At least half of the items at Targets in Manhattan are locked. The Herald Square store is a s**t show. You need a Target employee to follow you around when shopping.

I also noticed locks in Chicago and DC stores. An unfortunate reality of the world we live in...
Honest to god a tube of toothpaste is like $8 now. Imagine if you're making $7.35 an hour.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 2:26 PM

Quote:

Great points. San Francisco seems to be fairing the worst as of late. They seem to have quite a few smash and grabs at their higher end stores.

It’s looking as though the next crop of leaders will start to pivot away from the soft on crime approach (shoplifting etc). Everyone I know is sick and tired of this.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Honest to god a tube of toothpaste is like $8 now. Imagine if you're making $7.35 an hour.
Yeah, but that doesn’t make it right. The vast majority of people who are struggling financially don’t steal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations