HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I read an article about him recently and he (the founder) basically spent the entire time bashing Philadelphia (proper) the way every boomer does
Hey, not EVERY Boomer. Watch out for the generational bigotry. My wife and I--and many of our neighbors and lots of other folks--are Boomers who LIVE IN and LOVE Philadelphia proper. We regularly experience, relish, and cheer on the continued development and cosmopolitan urbanization of greater Center City and its surrounding neighborhoods.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Hey, not EVERY Boomer. Watch out for the generational bigotry. My wife and I--and many of our neighbors and lots of other folks--are Boomers who LIVE IN and LOVE Philadelphia proper. We regularly experience, relish, and cheer on the continued development and cosmopolitan urbanization of greater Center City and its surrounding neighborhoods.
OK, OK.... MOST boomers. Better?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
OK, OK.... MOST boomers. Better?
Not quite, but it's a small improvement.

But seriously, though, it was really our parents' generations, e.g., Depression-era kids and WWII vets, who fled the cities and built the suburbs after WWII. Yes, many of us Boomers were raised in the suburbs, and came of age during what was arguably the nadir of the cities, i.e., the 1960s-1980s. But we also constitute a large proportion of the empty nesters who have moved BACK into the cities and bought lots of the condos, etc.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 7:10 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I mean. I read an article about him recently and he (the founder) basically spent the entire time bashing Philadelphia (proper) the way every boomer does and giving NYC the glow up. His views on Philadelphia haven't evolved in a half a century.

It gives me great joy that their product at Northbank isn't selling (at all). After an initial flurry of interest, they've sold like 1 unit in 2 months. Compared to D3 which continues to sell its portion of the neighborhood at a rapid clip. That crap may pass in KOP but it's not gonna pass in or near Center City Philadelphia where buyers have more sophisticated taste.
Well that was a coincidence...

Robert Toll, co-founder of Fortune 500 homebuilder Toll Brothers, dies

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 7:47 PM

I couldn't get a picture, but I saw from 676 that the Crane building in Chinatown is getting a mural on it's large blank wall!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
I couldn't get a picture, but I saw from 676 that the Crane building in Chinatown is getting a mural on it's large blank wall!
That’s cool. I was always disappointed they didn’t follow through with the lights like the renderings showed. A mural is a big improvement though.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 10:08 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Not quite, but it's a small improvement.

But seriously, though, it was really our parents' generations, e.g., Depression-era kids and WWII vets, who fled the cities and built the suburbs after WWII. Yes, many of us Boomers were raised in the suburbs, and came of age during what was arguably the nadir of the cities, i.e., the 1960s-1980s. But we also constitute a large proportion of the empty nesters who have moved BACK into the cities and bought lots of the condos, etc.
My fear is that the current crime problem brings down all of the progress made by the city to turn itself around since the 90's. This mayor has been a total disappointment. He has checked out of the job.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 8:32 AM

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 11:21 PM

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
My fear is that the current crime problem brings down all of the progress made by the city to turn itself around since the 90's. This mayor has been a total disappointment. He has checked out of the job.
This should be a concern nationwide, its definitely not just Philly. I saw a brief segment on Chicago's latest attempts to reduce gun violence and the footage shown could have easily been Philadelphia- carjackings, gang violence, shootouts with cops, etc. And just like in Philadelphia its not like all of this stuff is simply bad guys shooting at bad guys.

I agree with the sentiment on the current mayor, but we do have to acknowledge most large cities have been seeing increase in violent crime over the past few years- although unlike Philly Chicago has reduced murders and shootings by a decent clip in 2022. Its pretty sad that Kenney has not launched ONE significant crime related initiative in 6 years.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 1:57 PM

Let’s go Phils!

Last edited by Mayormccheese; Oct 12, 2022 at 3:23 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 3:06 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

^ Repost this in lowrise mccheese thats where the convo was

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 5:19 PM

Let's go Phillies!

Great time to be a Philadelphia sports fan. Phillies are doing extremely well in the playoffs, Eagles are 5-0, Philadelphia Union are going into the playoffs after being tied for the best regular season record in the MLS, and the Sixers and Flyers start their seasons this week.

Great time indeed!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Great time to be a Philadelphia sports fan. Phillies are doing extremely well in the playoffs, Eagles are 5-0, Philadelphia Union are going into the playoffs after being tied for the best regular season record in the MLS, and the Sixers and Flyers start their seasons this week.

Great time indeed!
You BETTER NOT have just jinxed it.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Nah Philly didn't build a new tallest building and move the little William Penn statue on top of it. Not in the cards this year. After the curse of Billy Penn was placed, Philly teams have only won in 2008 (after putting the statue on the new Comcast I) and 2018 (after moving it to the new Comcast II).

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 6:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Nah Philly didn't build a new tallest building and move the little William Penn statue on top of it. Not in the cards this year. After the curse of Billy Penn was placed, Philly teams have only won in 2008 (after putting the statue on the new Comcast I) and 2018 (after moving it to the new Comcast II).
I also believe this theroy. We need that 1,200” transit terminal tower with billy penn ontop

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyguy215 View Post
I also believe this theroy. We need that 1,200” transit terminal tower with billy penn ontop
Somebody hire a Chinese construction firm and maybe just maybe we can get to 1,000 feet by the end of October...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Somebody hire a Chinese construction firm and maybe just maybe we can get to 1,000 feet by the end of October...
And then back to 0 by February.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 7:01 PM

Quote:
i know just what we need...a 1,000' tall rite-aid

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 12:18 AM

Quote:
he didn't jinx it - it's like "It's a great time to be a Philly sports fan because of all these great teams, and also there are the Flyers." Mentioning them is a counterbalance to the good teams.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations