HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 4:17 PM

I'd rather the 76ers built "Franklin Square Garden" between the roundhouse and Arch & between 7th and 8th -- or in the Disney Hole -- but if they're determined to demo a developed block that is of little current value, I can live with it. I do hope they relocate the amenities currently on that block. They're about the only thing interesting about the Gallery right now.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I'd rather the 76ers built "Franklin Square Garden" between the roundhouse and Arch & between 7th and 8th -- or in the Disney Hole -- but if they're determined to demo a developed block that is of little current value, I can live with it. I do hope they relocate the amenities currently on that block. They're about the only thing interesting about the Gallery right now.
The location already having attached parking was/is probably a selling point. I generally agree with what everyone has said though and hope AMC movies and City Winery can find new homes nearby. The Gallery redo was knee-capped when PREIT went belly up. It was never very ambitious to begin with, but I do think since it has been out of the hands of local ownership the 'improvements' have basically stopped.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post

Great, another Philly Special.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 4:44 PM

I can live with the dimensions. However, I would have preferred that they continue designing the building beyond the eastward facing portion. It looks like they stopped there.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 4:44 PM

Quote:

Where did this come from?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Where did this come from?
CDR files posted today.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
Great, another Philly Special.
I have to look into this; I hope it really gets built because the location sure would work.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 5:32 PM

McGrath, let's make a thread!!!

Looks like it'll be called "The Mark @ 3615 Chestnut"

The building also looks like it'll be about 407 feet, not 476. The building is 478 feet to the roof, with a 10 foot mechanical penthouse on top of that. However, the building is 478 feet above sea level (not including the mechanical penthouse). The first floor is 81 feet above sea level. That puts us at 407 feet tall with the mechanical penthouse. Either way, I'll take it! Love another 400 foot in University City, and that would make this the 5th tallest in University City after FMC Tower, Cira Centre, Evo and the new CHOP tower. This would be the 6th tallest in UCity once 3001 JFK gets off the ground.

Also, I agree that it looks like they designed the east facing side of the building nicely, but the north, south and west side are not great. HOWEVER, I could live with the north and south side as they're rather slim. They need to redesign the west side however.... UNLESS, they know something we don't know and another building is going to be built on the site of that church and parking lot???

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 5:40 PM

76ers Arena 100% should be built. Market East needs a shot in the arm and this is it.

City Winery is in the section that will not be demolished, so that won't have to go anywhere.

The stores/retailers/amenities that would need to be kept and relocated into the other portion of the Fashion District that will not be demolished, or into new buildings across the street are:
AMC Theater
Wonderspaces
Ulta Beauty
Primark
Forever 21
Round One

The south side of Market between 8th and 11th needs a lot of work. Two towers on the 1000 block - a hotel and a residential tower, both sitting on retail podiums.

One tower between Ludlow, 10th and Market on the 900 block (preserving the historic church of course). You could do a residential tower here on a retail podium.

Then, on the 800 block, you could easily build two massive towers here, and a 3rd at 8th and Chestnut. between 8th and 9th on Market, we need two tower skyscrapers - one with office space and a hotel sitting on top of a ton of retail. A second one with residential and a hotel sitting on a ton of retail space.

I do think the 76ers arena here will 100% accelerate Market East's revival and it's certainly much needed.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 5:49 PM

The saga continues. They have until the end of the year now

University City Townhomes residents now have until end of the year to find new low-income housing

Read/view more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20220926.html

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 5:59 PM

Behind Philadelphia's 'spectacular, once-in-a-lifetime' opportunity with 2026 World Cup

Quote:
When Philadelphia leaders in tourism, sports and politics look to 2026 and playing host to the FIFA World Cup, they see opportunity. Opportunity to grow the game of soccer, opportunity to advance the city's reputation in front of a global audience and opportunity for local businesses to capitalize on the hundreds of thousands of visitors.

Tim McDermott, the president of the Philadelphia Union; Michelle Singer, senior vice president of political engagement at Comcast Corp. (NASDAQ: CMCSA); and Angela Val, the CEO of Visit Philadelphia, recently took part in a panel hosted by the Philadelphia Business Journal dubbed "World Cup 2026: Philadelphia readies for spot on global stage" to discuss the chance to affirm the region as a global destination.

It's a rare opportunity. Philadelphia is one of just 16 North American cities — including 11 in the U.S. — awarded 2026 World Cup matches by FIFA. The event in the Philadelphia region alone is expected to draw 500,000 visitors and generate $460 million in economic impact over the course of a month, organizers estimate.

"We have the ability to pull off a spectacular, once-in-a-lifetime, not only World Cup, but the 250th birthday of America in Philadelphia in 2026 at the same time," said Singer, who is a senior advisor to Philadelphia Soccer 2026, the local organizing committee. "We have the opportunity to dovetail it beautifully and become a real center of the country. I think that's an incredibly unique opportunity for not only Philadelphia, but the business community particularly to lean in here."

They received that affirmation from FIFA officials in the weeks and months following, Singer said.

"The refrain we continue to hear from FIFA. . .we got a lot of 'Go Philadelphia' or 'We were rooting for Philadelphia,' which was so cool," Singer said. "We had a hyper-organized bid because we are the underdog but we've done these events before. Why shouldn't we lean on our amazing business community and our experience in doing these events? We've done this."

People outside of the City of Brotherly Love are starting to take notice. Visit Philadelphia, in concert with the city and the Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau, puts bids in to host various events. Val said that everything the group has put in a bid to host in recent years, it has landed. Those events include the MLB All-Star Game in 2026, Wrestlemania in 2024, multiple NCAA championships and 16 conventions already on the calendar for 2026.

Singer hopes the monthlong event will "put Philadelphia on the world stage permanently. This is this is our opportunity to do it, this is the way we get back to that place and we stay there on top."

Val said that 2026 will be a sort of vindication of how far Philadelphia has come in the past two decades.

"One of the biggest things that I hope that we achieve, and we have over time been getting there, is that Philadelphia is known on an international stage," she said. "We were in the bid process in [2006] for the 2016 Olympics. And we didn't make that bid, and one of the things they said to us was 'Nobody really knows Philadelphia.' But here we sit today, about to get international World Cup games in Philadelphia. You can see us moving the mark."
Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 6:48 PM

Wow - what a pleasant surprise with this CDR. The 37th Street walk has SO much potential if it can be fully activated. Dropping a huge residential structure like this one right next door is a great boost!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 7:12 PM

New thread - The Mark at Philadelphia (3615 Chestnut)

Thread link:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...07#post9743707

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Yea, I am lost at the negativity and trolling regarding this plan. As long at the 76ers owners invest in the entire stretch (seems like they will) then I support it. Plus, the owners have sway in attracting hotels, retailers, entertainment venues to the area, especially if their money is on the line. Not like that stretch is anything to write home about (minus the newer East Market project).
But people complain to complain. See discussion in the 2301 JFK thread.
Market East is a total $hitshow right now. Why anyone would resist major development in an area that has, arguably, the most traveled tourist corridor IN THE WORLD, is beyond reason.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Market East is a total $hitshow right now. Why anyone would resist major development in an area that has, arguably, the most traveled tourist corridor IN THE WORLD, is beyond reason.
It’s completely insane. I work with someone that’s very much against this development. It came up by chance at one point and I could feel my brain melting. My experience with this crowd is that they genuinely think nothing is wrong with market east and that you’re being racist if you think anything is. I will say I’ve talked to vastly more people that are supportive of this than are not. Social media just has a way of amplifying the negadelphians.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 8:50 PM

Quote:
The location already having attached parking was/is probably a selling point. I generally agree with what everyone has said though and hope AMC movies and City Winery can find new homes nearby. The Gallery redo was knee-capped when PREIT went belly up. It was never very ambitious to begin with, but I do think since it has been out of the hands of local ownership the 'improvements' have basically stopped.
I was knee capped because it was PREIT. Not because PREIT went belly up.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 12:14 AM

640 N. Broad St., 36-Story Residential Building with Parking, and 1st Floor Commercial, To Be Built “As Of Right” w/ a Change In the Property’s Zoning

Per the most recent Spring Garden Civic Association Zoning Report from 9/22/22:

Quote:
Eric Blumenfeld presented plans at the September 15 SGCA general membership meeting for the demo of a low rise non-historical building located at the SW corner of his 640 N. Broad St. property, and the construction of a new 36 story high rise at the site. The project includes mechanized parking, a 1st floor restaurant, a public plaza, a
coffee shop, and new windows on the Wallace St side
to enliven that block. There would be a total of 580 units in the old and new buildings combined, and 263 parking spaces. Eric said more parking could be added if needed.

Eric proposes to proceed by seeking a change in the zoning classification of the property from Industrial to CMX-4, which would allow the project “as of right” without the need for any variances or a zoning hearing. The changes were proposed by the Planning Commission in its Plan 2035 comprehensive plan and opposed at the time by SGCA but included in the Plan anyway as recommendations.

The SGCA and residents need to discuss the project features, and, also, how any new project, whatever it entails, should be carried out - - whether by variance or by a change in zoning, but in either case, with a community Agreement. A change in the zoning requires a City Council ordinance introduced by Council President Clarke.

There are also other nearby properties where the Planning Commission had included recommended zoning changes in the comprehensive plan, that need to be reviewed again by SGCA.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jbP...W8cG9Dhk4/view

Last edited by kool-ski; Sep 28, 2022 at 12:18 AM. Reason: forgot to include the link

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 12:27 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Now how the hell did you get THAT information? Unless, of course, it WAS you who I ran into buying popcorn and Milk Duds in the lobby of the Stanton back in '52.
I’m very old®. Also, my subscription to newspapers.com is worth every penny.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool-ski View Post
640 N. Broad St., 36-Story Residential Building with Parking, and 1st Floor Commercial, To Be Built “As Of Right” w/ a Change In the Property’s Zoning

Per the most recent Spring Garden Civic Association Zoning Report from 9/22/22:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jbP...W8cG9Dhk4/view
This would be a new proposal we haven't seen right? From how it is described, this would be the corner of 15th and Mt Vernon?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
This would be a new proposal we haven't seen right? From how it is described, this would be the corner of 15th and Mt Vernon?
That's right. I'll believe it when I see it, but it can't hurt to get it entitled.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations