HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
The Junction Apartments rising in downtown Ogden.

http://www.utahprojects.info/Project...ion-Apartments

Original Rendering

I was curious about the finished product. A little different than what was originally presented in the Standard Examiner, but I think an actual improvement, particularly along Washington Blvd.

Tower View Apartments, by Cornerstone Residential at the corner of 23rd and Washington

More photos, under construction

http://www.standard.net/image/2016/1...APTS-1-JPG.JPG

http://www.standard.net/image/2016/1...APTS-2-JPG.JPG

Last edited by delts145; Mar 22, 2017 at 2:21 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 3:27 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I definitely like the two story frontage version much better.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:44 PM

And even though it's not retail, the street engagement seems decent

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:31 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
Exactly. While retail is nice, if the population doesn't support all retail on the first floor, the critical factor to walkability is engagement of the pedestrian

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 6:55 PM

I believe it has ground-level retail actually, unless plans changed.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 10:14 AM

I had a few minutes this morning before I hit the Gym, and was very curious about Ogden, specifically Weber State. So much building has been going on along the Wasatch Front CSA with the different Universities, I thought, there must be something also happening up at Weber State. Well, those of you living in the Ogden area are waaay too quiet. There's a lot happening at Weber State that isn't being covered. This is just one of many of what seems to be a recent construction boom at the Campus.

Updates - Ogden - Weber State University - Tracy Hall Science Center

Weber State University Builds a Scientific Gathering Place on Campus

http://www.enr.com/articles/39649-we...lace-on-campus

June 14, 2016...The 185,000-sq-ft, nearly $64-million Tracy Hall Science Center soon will be the largest building on campus
and brings together all of the science disciplines taught at WSU into one location.

“The goal was to get everyone under one roof, to build a community of science and foster interdisciplinary interaction,” says Celestia Carson, an associate principal and project manager for Salt Lake-based VCBO Architecture, the project architect. “We wanted a safe building and one that would function to promote learning."

http://www.enr.com

Really like the mix of metal and brick, particularly the patina and pattern of the masonry on this Science Center.

The Standard Examinar - http://www.standard.net

Last edited by delts145; Oct 11, 2019 at 10:53 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
The frontage along Washington Blvd. actually is retail - some friends of mine are opening a coffee shop in there. Along 23rd, though, you are right there isn't retail there.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 3:22 PM

Delts, you are right - I really do suck at keeping people updated as to what is going on up here. I'll try and do something soon. There are quite a few projects in various stages of development.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 3:52 PM

^^^
Hey, You know how much every body on this forum loves the Ogden area. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much is going on, when I took just a little bit of time to surf the internet.

Weber State University's Stewart Library undergoing $20 million renovation

...The renovation of the Stewart Library that will result in a modern, technologically friendly interior, higher ceilings and more collaborative learning spaces.

“It’s just going to be an absolutely terrific renovation, and it’s going to look like a totally new library,” university librarian Joan Hubbard said.... Go to full article @
http://www.standard.net/Education/20...ion-renovation

Image by: MATT HERP/Standard-Examiner
Construction workers renovate the Weber State University Stewart Library as it undergoes a two-phase, $20 million renovation project Wednesday, Oct. 19, 2016.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 11, 2019 at 11:43 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:28 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTAZLoVer View Post
The frontage along Washington Blvd. actually is retail - some friends of mine are opening a coffee shop in there. Along 23rd, though, you are right there isn't retail there.
That is great news.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 1:09 PM

I found this thread by google search and it's amazing. I'm working my way through it and it's kind of "fun" to see the optimism of the early 2008 posts then the quick transition to pessimism..and I mean fun in a historical perspective, because that time sucked for many.

I just moved to Ogden so I don't have much to add however in the vein the talk of coffee shops there are quite the number that have opened up in the downtown area (or are opening up)..what is this, the pacific northwest?!

1. Wasatch Roasters - 2400th block of Grant
2. The Parlour (opening this week?) - 2500th block of Washington, next to Funk n dive
3. New one in the Tower View Apartments
4. New one in Imagine Jefferson - 500th block of 25th. I've peeked in the windows and it looks nice. two stories. Not in the NEW imagine jeffferson, but the older Golds Gym/Weber College building.

Speaking of Imagine Jefferson supposedly a fancy/healthy/local/etc. grocery store is going in the free space across from the Thai restaurant in the new building. My 'source' (lol) says the owners are paying the lease but haven't gotten the ball rolling on getting it going yet...

Also...

There is extensive remodeling happening in the bottom floors of the Kissel Building. Many store fronts are going in on the Kissel Street side as well as the 24th. No idea what is going in though. In general LOTS of development downtown happening. Sorry I have no pictorial evidence.

Not sure if you guys have rules here but I'm sure you'll let me know if I'm not following them.

Thanks for the fun read!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 3:13 PM

Welcome to the forum NBABUCKS1. That is a some great information and it would be great to have another person up north giving us updates on what is happening in Ogden. I personally love Ogden, being a graduate of Weber State (great Great GREAT!). There is such history downtown and it's been redeveloping slowly but surely over the last few years. I feel like it could be ready to really take off (hopefully someone doesn't read this post years from now and laugh at my optimism).

We LOVE pictures here so any that you can get of the developments around town are always appreciated.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 12:12 AM
Ironweed

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 12:21 AM
BANNED

Would hate to develop anything taller than 4-stories.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:32 PM

Not the most amazing development, IMO, but happy to see some initiative taken by private developers to begin building more density around the University. This is needed to make Weber less commuter feeling and to integrate it more with the surrounding community.

Weber State and city officials go forward with proposed apartment complex

http://www.standard.net/Education/20...t-complex.html

By Anna Burleson

OGDEN — Weber State University Vice President for University Advancement Brad Mortensen admitted the university was initially wary of the idea of a new apartment complex near campus.

At a community forum Wednesday, April 12, Mortensen said the initial thought was it would compete with on-campus housing offered by the university, but officials have since come around to the idea of a new apartment building as a public-private partnership

"We want to find ways to make this a possibility ... but respect the boundaries and impacts on the community,” he said.

City officials and Weber State administrators are supporting a city ordinance change so the development company Axis Marketing can build an apartment complex, near 3801 Harrison Blvd., intended to house Weber State students.

Axis Marketing owners Daniel Stevens and Adam Allred spoke at the meeting.

The building will have 41 four-bedroom units, four levels and 56,000 square feet total. Stevens said the budget for the project is $7 million, despite hopes for $4 million in initial conversations. Rent will be, on average, about $420 per person, which Allred said would include cable and internet.

Mortensen said it’s in both the school and the developer’s best interests to market the apartments to Weber State students. Allred agreed.

In small-group work sessions, residents expressed concerns about parking, crosswalk safety, speeding on the roads around Weber State and the effects such an apartment would have on the area’s electric, water and sewer systems.

How it all works

Ogden Planning Manager Greg Montgomery said Ogden has always been divided into zoning areas that dictate what kind of dwellings or businesses can be there.

Residents can petition to have these ordinances changed, which is done through the all-volunteer planning commission and then through the Ogden City Council, made up of elected officials.

In 2007, the ordinance was changed to limit the number of unrelated people who could live in buildings around Weber State from five to three. This was before a state law was also changed to limit dwellings to three unrelated people.

Despite the state law, Mortensen said, cities across Utah have come up with ordinances to allow student housing. St. George, for example, adopted planned development student housing zones, and Provo made its college campus a mixed-use and multifamily zone.

Montgomery said a project similar to the one being proposed now was talked about in the summer of 2016, but it ultimately fell apart because the developer “wasn’t responsive.”

The city Planning Commission is now recommending a conditional overlay rather than an ordinance change, which would essentially allow for this specific apartment complex. No more, no less.

“This will be a beautiful building,” Allred said.

Montgomery said the Ogden City Council will consider the request, establish a review timeline and hold a public meeting. There are still several other steps that need to be taken, including studies on traffic, soil and sewer impact; stormwater detention; possible water line improvements and overall building design.

Goals

Weber State offers on-campus student housing that was an average of 85 percent full in fall 2016, but President Charles Wight said he hopes more housing options will draw more out-of-state students.

According to data presented at the meeting, 10 percent of Weber State students are from out of state, compared with about 20 percent at the University of Utah, Utah State University and Dixie State University.

"If there are ways we can find nonresident students to pay a higher price tag to help support us, that's a good thing,” Mortensen said.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 4:12 PM

Looks like the West Davis Corridor is possibly a go.

Quote:
Probably the most controversial project on the list is beginning construction of the $610 million West Davis Corridor freeway — sort of a northwestern extension of Legacy Parkway. That project technically has not yet received required federal environmental approval.

It has been opposed by several federal agencies and conservation organizations that fear it may destroy too many Great Salt Lake wetlands as well as local grass-roots groups that fear razing of their homes and say other alternatives make more sense.

Approval of an environmental impact statement for the project was delayed for years to work through such issues. Carlos Braceras, executive director of the Utah Department of Transportation, says he feels a final solution is close at hand — and construction is not scheduled to begin until 2020.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/5309728-1...-utah-highways

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Cool Thanks for posting.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 2:12 AM

A pretty good-looking project going on in 'downtown' Clearfield right now. Apartments with ground-level retail.

City Centre Apartments

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 10:50 AM

I didn't even think there was a downtown Clearfield. That is quite a large project. In addition to this has Clearfield been doing a lot lately to give it's core more of a traditional urban node?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 6:22 AM

I recently drove through Ogden for the first time in years. I have family in Logan and Perry, so I drive along I-15 3 or 4 times per year, but I decided to take a bit of extra time that I usually don't have to check out Ogden.

I was pleasantly surprised at the Junction City development. It seems fairly impressive and quite nice. I haven't read through this thread (just the most recent page) but if I were to live in Ogden, I certainly wouldn't mind living there. Am I right about it being a fairly good development? Or are people in Ogden disappointed with it? What's the consensus?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West