HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 6:12 PM

The arena looks close to be complete. I'm sure the landscaping will continue to be a work in progress once the season starts.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 6:38 AM
heavy user of walkability

the Exchange's garage entry has gotten some splash

16th St, east end

they're working hard on the T-Third Platform replacement. looking north on Third from 16th

and from above

Neurosciences slowly getting higher, as seen from Third St

and from above

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:08 PM
Show me the blueprints

Is that the only stop on the T that Muni is planning a center island platform on? why did they think it was necessary? If they do that with more of them all that wavy gravy trackwork is going to look like a mess up and down Third.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:42 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Is that the only stop on the T that Muni is planning a center island platform on? why did they think it was necessary? If they do that with more of them all that wavy gravy trackwork is going to look like a mess up and down Third.
It’s right in front of the new Chase Center arena that will seat 18,000 people.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:56 PM
Show me the blueprints

Okay. I'm not exactly sold on what the benefit is exactly over just making the original side platforms more accomidating. Seems like a lot of investment to create a platform where crowds of people going both directions will be running into each other. Center platforms make total sense on below grade and/or grade seperated metro systems where cross platform movement would otherwise require expensive mezzanines, but here? Seems like a waste of resources to me.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Okay. I'm not exactly sold on what the benefit is exactly over just making the original side platforms more accomidating. Seems like a lot of investment to create a platform where crowds of people going both directions will be running into each other. Center platforms make total sense on below grade and/or grade seperated metro systems where cross platform movement would otherwise require expensive mezzanines, but here? Seems like a waste of resources to me.
The most apparent one to me is the track switching. The criss-cross tracks will allow a single car to essentially turnaround and head back into the city without completing the entire multi-mile loop — creating a sort of express line.

In terms of the single platform, it's a more efficient use of space with a single platform and easier for commuters going either way without having to cross the street to take the train south.

In theory, they could even double birth two trains going the same direction in high traffic times. All of which speeds up the train and increases the line's capacity overall.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
In terms of the single platform, it's a more efficient use of space with a single platform and easier for commuters going either way without having to cross the street to take the train south.
Yeah. This. Exactly. I expect this platform will usually only see most of its traffic from one direction. A center platform allows for more effective use of space as opposed to having a platform half the size mostly empty and another platform half the size totally packed.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 8:18 PM
Surrounded by Nature

The center platform in front of the Giants ballpark has worked very well since its inseption and I’ve long been impressed with how well Muni handles crowds there.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfishhead View Post
Yeah. This. Exactly. I expect this platform will usually only see most of its traffic from one direction. A center platform allows for more effective use of space as opposed to having a platform half the size mostly empty and another platform half the size totally packed.
Indeed. It always helps to go to the source:

Quote:
In anticipation of the new Golden State Warriors’ Chase Center and the growth in jobs, housing, healthcare and retail in the Mission Bay, the SFMTA is constructing a new center platform along 3rd Street between South and 16th streets. This new, larger platform will service both the inbound and outbound trains and greatly expand transit capacity in preparation for large crowds. The two existing platforms, which are split as separate inbound and outbound, will be demolished as part of the project. The greater size of the new and improved platform will enable four, two-car trains to load simultaneously during larger events. When needed, the platform will also allow for trains to depart inbound from both sides of the platform to connect customers quickly to BART, CalTrain and eventually the Central Subway.
https://www.sfmta.com/projects/ucsf-...atform-upgrade

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Exclusive: Giants' and Tishman Speyer's Mission Rock megaproject could break ground by November
By Ron Leuty – Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Feb 18, 2019, 9:19am PST Updated Feb 18, 2019, 12:48pm EST

The San Francisco Giants are zeroing in on a groundbreaking date for the team's massive, mixed-use Mission Rock project.

The Giants organization could break ground in October or November on a development that ultimately will include some 1,400 rental units, up to 1.4 million square feet of office space, 250,000 square feet for retail and "local manufacturing," the rehabilitation of Pier 48 and eight acres of park and open space, a Giants executive said. The site is across Mission Creek from Oracle Park.

"We will break ground on Mission Rock toward the end of the year," Roscoe Mapps, director of government relations for the Giants told the Mission Bay Citizen Advisory Committee last week . . . .

Still, a groundbreaking that is only months away, rather than years, is another major step forward for 28-acre Mission Rock, especially since 40 percent of the rental units are earmarked as "affordable" for low- and moderate-income families. The Giants last year signed New York-based condo and office developer Tishman Speyer as a joint venture partner for the project, which includes the Port of San Francisco and the city as public partners . . . .
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...662&j=86855311

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 8:25 AM

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...w-13657106.php

Quote:
The new 826 Valencia writing center in Mission Bay sells pet rocks, lumberjack repellent, fairy lanterns, “foresty smells” air fresheners, unicorn horn polish that doubles as lip balm and walking sticks for “mid-sized creatures that walk on hind legs.”

But to most San Franciscans, the biggest surprise about the space at 1300 Fourth St. — the official name of the store is the Woodland Creatures Outfitters Ltd. — won’t be the whimsical architectural flourishes or the unusual goods sold in the store. It will be that the place is full of children — Mission Bay children, to be exact.

Over the last two years, Mission Bay — a neighborhood known for its hospital, medical research facilities and upscale apartment complexes — has been quietly filling up with families. In addition to hundreds of kids sprinkled throughout the market-rate buildings, the neighborhood is now home to three new affordable complexes — 1300 Fourth St., 1180 Fourth St., and 588 Mission Bay Blvd. North — with a total of 820 people younger than 18.

This year, 140 more children are expected to move into 1150 Third St., a building that will house a combination of families and formerly homeless veterans.

The influx of families into the neighborhood comes as an even greater transformation is about to happen.

The Golden State Warriors’ Chase Center arena will open this fall with a collection of new restaurants and retail spots. Dropbox and Uber will move into new corporate headquarters, while the Marriott SoMa Mission Bay Hotel will welcome its first guests in summer 2020.

Fourth Street — planned as the neighborhood’s main shopping drag — is starting to come alive after five years in which it was characterized by empty glass boxes on the ground floor of expensive apartment buildings. In the past two years, a juice shop opened, along with a pizza place, an Ethiopian restaurant, a cafe, two yoga spots, a framing store and an outpost of Gus’s Community Market.

But while Mission Bay has lush parks and sparkling playgrounds, it lacks the churches, recreation centers and schools that help working families squeak by in more established parts of the city. There are no inexpensive bodegas, thrift stores, job training centers, food pantries or Boys & Girls Clubs. About 63 percent of Mission Bay’s children live below the poverty line.

The space was built pro bono — contractor BCCI volunteered its construction services while Jason Schulte of Office and Jonas Kellner of WRNS Studio provided design and architecture services.

The need for after-school programs in Mission Bay was evident from the moment the writing center opened on Feb. 19. Immediately, its desks filled with kids, Nazarian said. It’s also a community builder. The families in Mission Bay’s affordable buildings have relocated from different parts of the city, many from the Bayview and Tenderloin, and are still meeting their neighbors.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
...it lacks the churches, recreation centers and schools that help working families squeak by... 63 percent of Mission Bay’s children live below the poverty line.
These citations seem a bit tone def — as though churches, rec centers and cheap bodegas (vs public space, healthy food options, and transit) are central to the development of a thriving neighborhood. The 63% number is kind of misleading as I assume it's a reference to median incomes and relates to the subsidized housing that's being built there in mass.

I am, however, glad to see the neighborhood fill up with families and flourish.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 7:33 PM

^^It's unsurprising to me that the city Planners mandated the inclusion of "affordable" housing in Mission Bay but did not mandate any of the services targetted at lower income people like thrift/discount stores, rec centers (and day care centers for working parents) etc. It's a foreign concept in SF, but maybe what Mission Bay really lacks is a Walmart.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
^^It's unsurprising to me that the city Planners mandated the inclusion of "affordable" housing in Mission Bay but did not mandate any of the services targetted at lower income people like thrift/discount stores, rec centers (and day care centers for working parents) etc. It's a foreign concept in SF, but maybe what Mission Bay really lacks is a Walmart.
SMH. Totally missing the point. People thrive with mobility, opportunity, security; not thrift stores, cheap bodegas, BOGO sales, or mandatory inclusionary services propping up their neighborhood.

Regardless, we digress.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
SMH. Totally missing the point. People thrive with mobility, opportunity, security; not thrift stores, cheap bodegas, BOGO sales, or mandatory inclusionary services propping up their neighborhood.

Regardless, we digress.
Maybe ignoring your point and making mine. I left out bodegas because I don't know where the idea came from that they are cheap--generally they sell a limited selection for higher prices than regular supermarkets. But much of that other stuff is what middle and working class families want and need, not outfits for woodland creatures. And not coincidentally, they are all things that organic neighborhoods have (forget the "mandatory") but ones artifically planned by eggheads in city planning departments (who live somewhere else) don't. There's a lesson there.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 6:53 AM

they were pouring the platform for the reconfigured Muni stop in front of Chase Center yesterday

northern end waiting to be poured

looking at the southern end again, that seems to be a ramp down, which would imply a mid-block crossing. edit: and just noticed what are probably the corresponding traffic signal poles

Third St from ground level

and from farther south

work on the T-Third Loop does appear to be underway again. this is Illinois

and more evidence that another of the area's long-stalled projects is also underway

Last edited by timbad; Mar 11, 2019 at 7:27 AM. Reason: noted

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
they were pouring the platform for the reconfigured Muni stop in front of Chase Center yesterday
I was looking at my weather radar ap and it looked like Mother Nature was dumping on San Francisco the whole time. Can they pour concrete in the middle of le deluge?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I was looking at my weather radar ap and it looked like Mother Nature was dumping on San Francisco the whole time. Can they pour concrete in the middle of le deluge?
it wasn't raining most of the day, at least in this part of town. I was out for about 1.5 hrs around the time of the pics and it didn't rain during that stretch, for example. edit: you can see the ground is dry in the pics.

but I don't know if rain impacts concrete pours. anyone?

Last edited by timbad; Mar 11, 2019 at 7:30 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 4:54 PM
Build Baby Build

It wasn't raining too much yesterday, maybe for a few hours. As far as I know, a light rain shouldn't mess with concrete pours, and technically can make them easier.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 4:00 AM

CONCRETE - when concrete is mixed at the site where it is put into the trucks, it is custom mixed for the weather conditions at the time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development