HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 6:44 PM

Right now, I wouldn't want to relocate rail even though I think it's what the city needs.

Our city has not proven itself capable of effectively developing land.

If our city as it is currently managed somehow managed to get Ottawa and the province to cooperate and found the money to pay CP, what would they do with it? Zone it for low-density housing, and let Shindico develop some midrises, office parks and strip malls on it? Turn former rail lines into giant stroads? Leave it vacant for a future (unfunded, naturally) plan for a park?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 7:02 PM

^ Sad but true. Railyard relocation will be hugely expensive and end up with the land being squandered. Wait until there is a sound economic basis for that happening, there is no need to force it.

Let's deal with the here and now problems.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 7:43 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Right now, I wouldn't want to relocate rail even though I think it's what the city needs.

Our city has not proven itself capable of effectively developing land.

If our city as it is currently managed somehow managed to get Ottawa and the province to cooperate and found the money to pay CP, what would they do with it? Zone it for low-density housing, and let Shindico develop some midrises, office parks and strip malls on it? Turn former rail lines into giant stroads? Leave it vacant for a future (unfunded, naturally) plan for a park?
agreed....we would do the biggest big box power centre ever.

rail relocation for me doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposal. I don't like when I hear it shot down because its too big...Yes, it would be hugely expensive to move the whole thing...although the feds will pay for most of it....but we should at least study the impact of rail across the city today...it is very likely there are smaller pieces that can be be changed with high impact and lower cost...the line running through river heights as an example....even the line that goes past the Forks.....could that be re-routed around the city without moving the yards themselves...the rail companies lose millions having to run slowly through cities....they want to move....and they are actually required to move if cities can provide an option for them that is equal to their current operations....

to me it is ridiculous that we live in a city that is criss-crossed by rail lines and yards and we have no plan at all for how to live with them....we just accept that what is there is best....at least study it and see if there is a way to optimize it...surely the rail industry has changed in the last 150 years....the city certainly has changed....i guarantee there are some high impact moves that would save us money and make the city function better....we are about to spend half a billion dollars replacing the arlington bridge...we will be adding and upgrading underpasses across the city.....let's have a plan FFS.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 8:57 PM

^ What he said! Look what happened with the relocation of the East Yards. What a change that made. It should be aspirational. But it requires a great deal of study as it would transformation.
The subject is a reasonable vision statement by a Mayoral candidate...but it doesn't fit on an election platform.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 9:20 PM

East Yards was a) highly desirable land on the river, next to downtown, and b) CN had already abandoned it. The City didn't have to make anything happen there. It was handed to Winnipeg on a plate.

Buying out and moving a working railyard is a totally different situation.

Have we run out of real problems to fix that we need to start making up challenges to overcome? Last I checked downtown is still moribund, transportation infrastructure is seriously lacking, crime and disorder are increasing, we still have antiquated approaches to planning, the public service is a mess on all fronts leading to situations like the Public Safety Building fiasco, emergency services budgets are out of control, parks recreation and libraries are seriously wanting... but we're going to deal with railyards instead?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 9:51 PM
surely you agree with me

really? we have to solve crime before we study the opportunities of optimizing the impact of rail in our city? Have some vision man....maybe its the solution to some of our problems........imagine the impact on downtown if the forks opened right up to it....imagine not having to build another waverley underpass...imagine not having to replace the arlington bridge...imagine not having to build the marion underpass....imagine the north end not being divided from the city....imagine the opportunity for transit and active transportation on rail corridors....imagine the infill opportunities and densification in mature neighbourhoods across the city....imagine not watching a moving crude oil pipeline running through your downtown....

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 9:56 PM
surely you agree with me

yeah....no reason to explore opportunities here.....this is for sure the only way the trains can run in winnipeg.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 10:20 PM

These are not mutually exclusive Esquire. It's not like the yards would be moved tomorrow..or next year...or....It is long term but should be aspirational. There is plenty that must be done to address issues with our city (as you correctly identify)- personally I would start with the blocks surrounding Canada Life Center (or is it Place) and move outward...that is the gravitational center of downtown (but I digress).
As for the East Yards - my recollection is that into the 70's and early 80's they were still operational. While the circumstances of the exchange may be different (and certainly the CP yards are much larger), the point is this an antiquated use for a massive tract of urban land. Emerging from the CMHR after the jazz festival last night, I was kind of in awe of how great the area is - and how much greater it will be when they get the residential component completed. It is a jewel in our city. So honestly, I respect any candidate that offers a positive forward thinking vision...its a start. And after all, many of us voted for Bowman because he promised to open Portage and Main. Sadly, he failed.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 6:21 PM
surely you agree with me

got it from the horse's mouth today....Murray is running.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 6:30 PM

Praise the lords Murray is exactly who we need rn especially if he plans to go full strongtowns and YIMBY in his policies.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 6:35 PM

I get the Mayor has the power to put together their inner circle with the EPC but ultimately they're still one vote? What we really need to see is a changeover in these councillors that are opposed to change and staying in their position rather than better the city.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 6:38 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Praise the lords Murray is exactly who we need rn especially if he plans to go full strongtowns and YIMBY in his policies.
I had a feeling he would. I chatted with him at pride- he looked good but I noticed he is really increasing his visibility lately. In my mind, my vote is already locked should he run again. I really appreciated all he did for this city when he was last mayor. Probably wouldn't hurt that he has ties to the federal Liberal party either.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 6:56 PM

I'm curious to see how Murray will be perceived. In 1998, even though he had been around for a while as a councillor, he had a certain air of freshness to him. He brought a new mindset to City Hall.

Obviously people with an urbanist bent will remember him fondly as I do, but I wonder if he might seem like yesterday's man to the general population? Kind of like if Gary Filmon decided to come back and run for office.

Much like Gary Doer, Glen Murray's timing was very fortuitous... he became mayor at a time when the city was coming out of its 90s doldrums and the higher orders of government finally turned the spending taps on again. That is not really the case anymore... makes me wonder how effective he will be without a Gary Doer and Jean Chretien to write huge cheques for the City.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 7:06 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm curious to see how Murray will be perceived. In 1998, even though he had been around for a while as a councillor, he had a certain air of freshness to him. He brought a new mindset to City Hall.

Obviously people with an urbanist bent will remember him fondly as I do, but I wonder if he might seem like yesterday's man to the general population? Kind of like if Gary Filmon decided to come back and run for office.

Much like Gary Doer, Glen Murray's timing was very fortuitous... he became mayor at a time when the city was coming out of its 90s doldrums and the higher orders of government finally turned the spending taps on again. That is not really the case anymore... makes me wonder how effective he will be without a Gary Doer and Jean Chretien to write huge cheques for the City.

Yeah- but the general perception I have garnered is that people are not happy with the status-quo right now either. I'm just hearing so much complaining about so many things- infrastructure, crime, downtown development, homelessness, substance use- whomever is elected will have their work cut out for them. I think this is a real opportunity for him to show that the Bowman-Gillingham "this is the way we did things for the last 8 years and let's continue with that legacy" will show we need some new direction. I realize I'm clearly showing some bias here- I just sincerely hope we elect a mayor with some vision for this city.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 7:08 PM

It's kind of funny, Murray took office the first time in 1998 when the City was just starting to come out of a low ebb, and it looked noticeably better by the time he left 6 years later.

Now it's arguably worse than it was in 1998 and he has to start his clean up job all over again if he wins.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 7:21 PM

I moved to la salle so I can't vote but glad murray is running

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 7:27 PM

I don’t think we can compare Winnipeggers in 1998 to today. The city as it stands is far more diverse, multicultural, and dare I say more progressive. We are also far more aware of how other cities and people go about city building across the planet because of the internet.

I think as long as he gets Winnipeg into the 21st century that will probably be enough for the city to realize it’s true potential. As hard as it is to believe Winnipeg is still fixable and hasn’t gone the point of no return like most of the US. Unrelated but man actually visiting Cali opened my eyes to what a true disaster looks like.

A strong municipal leader in Murray paired with hopefully the NDP starting in 2023 could mean some very radical transformation of the city.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 7:48 PM
surely you agree with me

I think Murray is in a perfect place. He's been gone long enough that anything people didn't like about him will be forgotten and the things he did will come forward....many people old enough to remember him, think of him fondly now and that will be passed to those who aren't old enough....he's also very passionate which I think will set him apart to younger people....

he's the man from yesterday but his ideas and beliefs are very current....he doesn't even own a car.....and he has a long list of accomplishments to point at that people think highly of....20 years ago people hated the bridge...now he can say he did that....or the arena...waterfront drive, etc....after two terms of not a lot of big move accomplishments, people will likely be attracted to a big idea guy...its the biggest criticism i hear of bowman.....he's a good honest guy but he wasn't bold, big ideas guy....i think Winnipeggers are craving bold.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 8:35 PM

Needed: A leader that has vision; a leader that can communicate that vision; a leader that understands the relationship between municipal, provincial and federal politics; a leader who can bring the players together - including the private sector - to fulfill that vision. Its a lot to ask for, but I think (and clearly that's the running theme here) Murray's that leader. Are we expecting miracles (like the next Jet's coach - can you say Barry Trotz?)? Perhaps. But he is our best hope, IMHO.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
Needed: A leader that has vision....
Regarding vision, this podcast episode is interesting for anyone who hasn't heard it yet, and it sounds like the release of the report he was working on could coincide with an announcement:

https://prairiedesignlab.com/2022/05...e-46-urbanism/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan