HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
They see people like Susan Thompson, Sam Katz and Brian Bowman get elected mayor with no prior political experience and think that they can do the same thing,

I do agree with you though that anybody running for may should have prior experience in some sort of elected position (MLA, city council or school trustee)
All of those people had a public profile though. Through their careers they were involved with public discourse. Bowman was constantly on the news as a privacy and legal expert. He also telegraphed a mayoral run a year in advance. Katz obviously involved with lots of businesses that had large profile. Thompson led the Chamber of Commerce.

Even the most politically engaged Winnipegers couldn't tell you who most of these candidates are. The odd thing is that none of them seem to be trying to build that profile even just over 4 months out from the election. I'm pretty engaged politically and I recognize Bokhari, understand how she got elected as a party leader to a party with basically no membership but couldn't tell you where she would fall on various policy issues for the COW or even what her core beliefs are.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan