HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Don't think I've seen this vision rendering yet. I'm liking those windmills.
Those windmills are going to be the first to go hours after this is approved by the City Council.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 2:00 AM
1st Ward

The Southworks project looks really exciting! The TIF subsidy might be a little too large, IMO, but i guess given the state of the economy, its probably a good idea in order to get this project jumpstarted.

Some concerns:

1. i cant tell from that rendering, but i hope that the streets line up with the Chicago grid. Its all about integrating this project with the surrounding neighborhood. It needs to have accessibility and seamless traffic/pedestrian/visual flow between the existing and new neighborhood.

2. There should be more towers along the lake, ala the northside and hyde park.

3. It would be great if they could divert US41 (south shore drive) along the lake, ala the northside, and make it a seamless boulevard, instead of its current weird routing through the surrounding neighborhood, where it jogs left and right, randomly shifts over a block or two, etc.

4. I hope that the existing unused slip is retained and transformed into some sort of 'riverwalk'. It could be a focal point for the new neighborhood.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 2:28 AM
TL;DR

I'm curious as to which buildings make up the "1000 units" in the first phase. I'm betting it's the three towers arranged around Market Common. The good thing is that these towers will add some skyline punch right at the start. The bad thing is that said three towers will, in all likelihood, be designed by Antunovich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
1. i cant tell from that rendering, but i hope that the streets line up with the Chicago grid. Its all about integrating this project with the surrounding neighborhood. It needs to have accessibility and seamless traffic/pedestrian/visual flow between the existing and new neighborhood.
They will, don't worry. The residential part is about as good as you can hope for. Market Common South Shore (the first phase shopping center) is kinda suburban, but it is a lifestyle center that is structured around the Chicago grid, so parts of it will be pedestrian-friendly.

Quote:
2. There should be more towers along the lake, ala the northside and hyde park.
This far south with no direct rail access, I would be overjoyed and surprised to see the proposed number of units filled. Remember, some of these units will be mere feet away from Indiana.

Quote:
3. It would be great if they could divert US41 (south shore drive) along the lake, ala the northside, and make it a seamless boulevard, instead of its current weird routing through the surrounding neighborhood, where it jogs left and right, randomly shifts over a block or two, etc.
US-41 will be rerouted onto a seamless boulevard between 79th and 87th, where it will run down the already existing boulevard of Avenue O. It won't run along the lake, though... most of the new neighborhood will lie to the east.

Quote:
4. I hope that the existing unused slip is retained and transformed into some sort of 'riverwalk'. It could be a focal point for the new neighborhood.
It will be.

Last edited by ardecila; May 13, 2010 at 2:39 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 3:15 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
They will, don't worry. The residential part is about as good as you can hope for. Market Common South Shore (the first phase shopping center) is kinda suburban, but it is a lifestyle center that is structured around the Chicago grid, so parts of it will be pedestrian-friendly.
awesome! i hope the parking for the lifestyle center will be underground (very unlikely, im sure), or atleast behind the buildings and hidden away, as opposed to right up in front.

Quote:
This far south with no direct rail access, I would be overjoyed and surprised to see the proposed number of units filled. Remember, some of these units will be mere feet away from Indiana.
i guess we'll take what we can get

Quote:
US-41 will be rerouted onto a seamless boulevard between 79th and 87th, where it will run down the already existing boulevard of Avenue O. It won't run along the lake, though... most of the new neighborhood will lie to the east.
again, excellent news. i dont mind its placement, as long as they create a straight and seamless street. the way it jogs around in parts of the south side right now is really annoying, from an urban planning point of view. it wouldve really been a lost chance to fix a mistake if they didnt consider doing that. US41 is pretty busy during rush, even in that part of town.

Quote:
It will be.
excellent!

how do you know all this info, if you dont mind me asking? have you seen a copy of the plans for this project that we all havent?

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 4:12 AM
Urbane observer

The US 41 relocation is already under construction, I believe, to be completed this year.

Underground parking would require a chisel. This site is composed almost entirely of slag. I don't even think basements will be practical.

There are various plans floating around, and undoubtedly they will continue to evolve. Here's one from Sasaki's website:

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 2:18 PM
The City

Robert Redford out, Target in: Alderman has new W. Loop plan

May 13, 2010
BY DAVID ROEDER Business Reporter
A Near West Side tract has come down in the real estate world. Gone is its developers' promise of swanky residential towers over an arthouse cineplex affiliated with actor Robert Redford.

It was called the West Loop Promenade, but the recession made its ambition impossible. In its place is something simple but more commonplace.

Ald. Robert Fioretti (2nd) said Target officials have discussed with him building a free-standing store at 1137 W. Jackson.
(Richard A. Chapman/Sun-Times/Getty Images)

It's a Target store.

Ald. Robert Fioretti (2nd) said Target officials have discussed with him building a free-standing store at 1137 W. Jackson, a nearly 4-acre site that used to have the factory for Fannie May candies.

^ Please tell me they'll still leave room for a residential development, as in the planned Lawrence/Ravenswood project..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Maybe Metra would consider a spur off the electric line to serve the development directly. Looks like they could cut in around 85rd without a lot of trouble.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Before we get excited about this, I'll just note that its currently projected to take 3 or more decades to develop a gridded urban neighborhood that, in decades past, might have been fully developed in about 10 years.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if all that happens in the near future is that we get a big box retail strip center, and the rest of the project is put on hold for a couple more decades.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 4:16 PM
THAT Guy

^I was about to say something similar. McCaffery is approaching this project knowing that he won't be around to see its completion. Anything designed today past the first phase and basic site plan/infrastructure is going to look dated in 40+ years (OK the first phase already looks dated).

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 4:47 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

May 13, 2010
A Near West Side tract has come down in the real estate world. Gone is its developers' promise of swanky residential towers over an arthouse cineplex affiliated with actor Robert Redford.

It was called the West Loop Promenade, but the recession made its ambition impossible. In its place is something simple but more commonplace.

Ald. Robert Fioretti (2nd) said Target officials have discussed with him building a free-standing store at 1137 W. Jackson.

It's a Target store.

Ald. Robert Fioretti (2nd) said Target officials have discussed with him building a free-standing store at 1137 W. Jackson, a nearly 4-acre site that used to have the factory for Fannie May candies.

^ Please tell me they'll still leave room for a residential development, as in the planned Lawrence/Ravenswood project..
AH, F#@% ME!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 5:01 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
^I was about to say something similar. McCaffery is approaching this project knowing that he won't be around to see its completion. Anything designed today past the first phase and basic site plan/infrastructure is going to look dated in 40+ years (OK the first phase already looks dated).
Until Chicago's north side is fully built out and becomes prohibitively expensive, I see no reason why hordes of people will come down here to live next to Indiana.

Even having a transit stop won't be enough. Do you see people pushing eachother aside to secure a house next to the Green Line in Bronzeville?

35th and State is the only area where I see some significant potential for growth brewing..

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 5:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:

May 13, 2010

It's a Target store.

The gutting of the innards of the city by suburban minded interests continues.....

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 6:16 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Even having a transit stop won't be enough. Do you see people pushing eachother aside to secure a house next to the Green Line in Bronzeville?
I (white collar white guy) was looking along MLK Blvd until I realized even a run-down place there was gonna cost me upwards of a million dollars (at the time - prices may have come down recently). To get to the price point, somebody's pushing somebody.

The unfortunate thing in Bronzeville, like in too many neighborhoods, is a combination of unfriendly alderman and lack of services. People will take a gamble that services will come if construction is allowed, but despite hundreds of empty lots, construction in Bronzeville remains far below where it could have been (pre-crash).

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 6:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I (white collar white guy) was looking along MLK Blvd until I realized even a run-down place there was gonna cost me upwards of a million dollars (at the time - prices may have come down recently). To get to the price point, somebody's pushing somebody.

The unfortunate thing in Bronzeville, like in too many neighborhoods, is a combination of unfriendly alderman and lack of services. People will take a gamble that services will come if construction is allowed, but despite hundreds of empty lots, construction in Bronzeville remains far below where it could have been (pre-crash).
Absolutely, my wife and I considered down there before settling north, well honestly I brought it up she was very skeptical

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Before we get excited about this, I'll just note that its currently projected to take 3 or more decades to develop a gridded urban neighborhood that, in decades past, might have been fully developed in about 10 years.
That works out well for me, I was actually just looking for a place in the southside in the year 2040 on Remax...

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 8:02 PM

MR Demolition

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 10:30 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
The gutting of the innards of the city by suburban minded interests continues.....
to be fair, the Fanny May factory wasnt anything special. It was a 60s era building with surface parking surrounding it.

Im just really dissapointed to hear that the "Sundance styled theater" wont be going in there. Hell, any theater, even a general first run theater, would do WONDERS for the West Loop. Im sure the local NIMBYS would want none of that, however...

This Target better be designed REAL good. 4 acres is a ton of land, though. I have a bad feeling theres going to be surface parking involved...

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
This Target better be designed REAL good. 4 acres is a ton of land, though. I have a bad feeling theres going to be surface parking involved...
The article says it will be an "urban" target with Parking below. I'm a little hopeful...

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 12:10 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
The article says it will be an "urban" target with Parking below. I'm a little hopeful...
I'd probably envision something along the lines of the one on Peterson.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 1:26 AM
The City

Quote:
This quote from the article addresses that concern:

Quote:
Sources said the chain is negotiating to purchase the property for one of its urban designs, featuring the store built over enclosed parking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development