HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 5:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Quebec City is French. I never really felt that in Montreal despite the hands of government doing everything they can. It's bilingual like Ottawa/Gatineau or New Brunswick.

Toronto certainly has its own identity. No one will confuse it with Jacksonville or most other major league cities also jealous of Jacksonville's towers

I will agree its weird for another language other than English to be the language of communication between different cultural groups having spent so much of my life in lands once occupied by the British Empire and Eastern Europe.
Even if they're both variants on a similar theme, a city with "French as the dominant language with a significant presence of English" is not the same as one with "English as the dominant language with a significant presence of French".

Montreal doesn't really feel like Ottawa or Moncton that much at all.

Probably the closest city in linguistic and cultural feel to Montreal in Canada would be my own (Gatineau).

I'd surmise that Sherbrooke probably felt like that too 60-70 years ago, though it's veered more towards French only since then.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
The difference with Toronto is it is mostly post-war, even the central city is basically a giant suburb, mostly built for the car. In contrast, Montreal is a real city, older, built before the car, and maybe that is why Montreal is so charming. Toronto is often compared to other northern US cities like New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, but in reality it is Montreal that has more common with them, while Toronto is more like a Sunbelt city. Toronto is more akin to Los Angeles or Phoenix than to New York City or Chicago. This article explains it pretty well:

TORONTO: LOS ANGELES OF THE NORTH

http://demographia.com/rac-toronto.pdf
Yes, when I'm walking along Queen Street, I can't help but notice the uncanny resemblance to Erin Mills .

Although even Los Angeles isn't as suburban as the stereotype would suggest, there is a range between Boston/Montreal and Phoenix/Jacksonville. Yes, Toronto doesn't look like an East Coast or Quebecois city, but it's not 'new' like Edmonton or Charlotte are, and definitely acts more "urban" than even relatively old cities that once were very bustling (think Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, or St Louis). There's been a lot of postwar growth, which dwarfs the footprint of the pre-WWII city, but you could say the same thing about Washington, San Francisco, and even New York. Toronto has aesthetic similarities with Pittsburgh, Queens, London (UK), Hamilton, and yes, even Los Angeles to some extent, but you seem to suggest that even in the decently sized pre-war fabric, Toronto is basically Scottsdale at best. Like, I guess, if you're just in Mississauga lol.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 3:00 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

'los angeles of the north' was probably meant as a prejorative, although any knowledgeable urbanist here will know that this is in fact a quite fine thing to be

https://previews.123rf.com/images/kl...rnia-.jpg?fj=1

https://previews.123rf.com/images/kl...geles-in-s.jpg

the popular vs SSP definition of 'suburban' is very different.

neither LA nor Toronto look like suburban Charlotte

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions