HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 3:08 PM

The observation time is crucial. My cousin, who is a nurse, after her first dose of the vaccine, within 5 minutes, her face started to swell up. They ended up giving her Benadryl.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 3:12 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I left the hospital before my 15-minute "observation" time. I asked the nurse "do I have to sit here for 15 minutes or can I head out?" She was like, "yeah, just sign here and you're good to go."
Then that medical professional gets fired, because the rules and standards are there for a reason. This happens pretty regularly with medical stuff...to include blood draws and shots (before covid).

Quote:
I think the hype about the vaccine's side effects is just media driven because more people will get this vaccine in a short amount of time than at any other time in history, so it makes for good clicks.
The hype would be coming from the naysayers, who are not in the usual "the media" as we know it...besides one station. The side effects would be loudest from the alternate types of media people use. Essentially people that don't like masks, the lockdown, or the vaccine will use it as a means to downplay. I got both pfizer shots...no problems...the liquid felt lighter than a normal flu shot.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
What hype about side effects? I've read nothing in the media other than they are astoundingly safe... and even if your strawman were real, why would hospitals add a 15 minute wait time just to cater to your perceived "media hype"?

It's a safety measure because these vaccines were developed and distributed in record time. Even if only 1% of people have negative side effects, does it not behoove medical professionals charged with the health and safety of their patients to be cautious as we continue to expand eligibility only a few months into giving the vaccine to the general public?

How exhausting it must be to view literally everything as a conspiracy. Heres one: I couldn't find parking this morning because of street sweeping in the neighborhood, but it's actually a conspiracy between Chicago Streets and Sanition and the liberal media to scare people from using their cars, thus keeping them at home longer so the economy will shut down and we will be forced to become government charges. Diabolical, and a shame others are too blind to see it.
Are you kidding? Every day there's some story:

What to know when you get your shot.
Man dies two days after vaccine.
Can you drive right after your shot?

The list goes on, they just try to make a story about the vaccine at all possible times. I am not saying they are saying ITS NOT SAFE, but they won't stop talking about it. Just saw a local story yesterday that was about a man who had the vaccine but STILL GOT CORONA. No shit, its a vaccine, not a 100% protective vest you idiots lol These types of stories scare idiots who can't think.

I never once said or implied the 15-minute wait was because of anything from the media.

And calling every idea you don't agree with as a conspiracy is getting old.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
Then that medical professional gets fired, because the rules and standards are there for a reason. This happens pretty regularly with medical stuff...to include blood draws and shots (before covid).

The hype would be coming from the naysayers, who are not in the usual "the media" as we know it...besides one station. The side effects would be loudest from the alternate types of media people use. Essentially people that don't like masks, the lockdown, or the vaccine will use it as a means to downplay. I got both pfizer shots...no problems...the liquid felt lighter than a normal flu shot.
No. Local media talk about things that scare people away all the time, even if they aren't trying.

And no, I signed a waiver, that is legit.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 4:13 PM
你的媽媽

The 15 minute observation time is for the patients own safety. It's the standard observation time after all immunizations as recommended by the ACIP (Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices). Obviously, places will differ in their enforcement of the waiting period, and the chances of any serious adverse event is very, very low, but it is still there in place in case a patient has syncope or anaphylaxis, which can occur.

All the other side effects like fever, muscle aches, chills are perfectly normal and typically occur far beyond that 15 min observation window. Most of these effects happen 12-24 hours after the dose.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 4:32 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
No. Local media talk about things that scare people away all the time, even if they aren't trying.
You said "the media", everything can be different if it's local media...so I'll say that my local media does not talk about things to scare people. Our statements about local media are now tied!

Quote:
And no, I signed a waiver, that is legit.
Then you should have included it in your first statement, because the story didn't match proper procedure and that's why I responded. That's ok though, because you still got the vaccine and saved your nurse their job. This virus can cause a disease...kinda like HIV, so it's good that you got the vax. Or neurological conditions sorta like syphilis.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 5:15 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
What hype about side effects? I've read nothing in the media other than they are astoundingly safe... and even if your strawman were real, why would hospitals add a 15 minute wait time just to cater to your perceived "media hype"?

It's a safety measure because these vaccines were developed and distributed in record time. Even if only 1% of people have negative side effects, does it not behoove medical professionals charged with the health and safety of their patients to be cautious as we continue to expand eligibility only a few months into giving the vaccine to the general public?

How exhausting it must be to view literally everything as a conspiracy. Heres one: I couldn't find parking this morning because of street sweeping in the neighborhood, but it's actually a conspiracy between Chicago Streets and Sanition and the liberal media to scare people from using their cars, thus keeping them at home longer so the economy will shut down and we will be forced to become government charges. Diabolical, and a shame others are too blind to see it.
Sorry, but JTown is right.

I hear from people, patients, all the time that they “heard this or this happened” as a result of the vaccine.

I’m correcting this nonsense all of the time.

Luckily it is far less now than it was even a month ago

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 5:21 PM

Quote:
You said "the media", everything can be different if it's local media...so I'll say that my local media does not talk about things to scare people. Our statements about local media are now tied!

Then you should have included it in your first statement, because the story didn't match proper procedure and that's why I responded. That's ok though, because you still got the vaccine and saved your nurse their job. This virus can cause a disease...kinda like HIV, so it's good that you got the vax. Or neurological conditions sorta like syphilis.
I'm not writing a dissertation, I don't have to make sure every syllable is 100% understandable from the first read. I said I signed a paper, what did you think I signed? Just an autograph for the nurse?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 5:28 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
I'm not writing a dissertation, I don't have to make sure every syllable is 100% understandable from the first read. I said I signed a paper, what did you think I signed? Just an autograph for the nurse?
I officially thought you were just BSing, because you don't like the lockdown and were unaware that there is a wait time normally for shots. Why not wait the full 15 minutes???? Signing that waiver doesn't help if you have an allergic reaction while driving from the clinic.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 5:32 PM

Quote:
I officially thought you were just BSing, because you don't like the lockdown and were unaware that there is a wait time normally for shots. Why not wait the full 15 minutes????
I had a busy day before me and I got 5 vaccines in one day in the military. I wasn't worried.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 5:41 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
I had a busy day before me and I got 5 vaccines in one day in the military. I wasn't worried.
So you should know how to wait around, especially if they are nice enough to leave chairs. Since I remember people passing out when we got......6 vaccines! There's always one or two. Plus the VA just tells you to wait, there was no option to argue with the nurses when I got mine.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 5:44 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Did you have any negative side effects from the vaccine, especially after the second dose? Aches, pain, nausea, fatigue etc?
i had moderna. tomorrow is my two weeks after the second shot date, so i guess that means i will have official immunity.

i had no reaction to either shot. i got one in one arm and the second in the other arm, just to spread the love lol. maybe a little brief arm soreness around the shot sites afterward, but thats it.

my spouse had her first pfizer shot and no reaction at all either. she was in and out the javits center in 20min, and that includes the 15min they ask you to wait afterward. they literally jabbed her after she walked in the door lol. she goes back for number two next week.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:08 PM

Quote:
So you should know how to wait around, especially if they are nice enough to leave chairs. Since I remember people passing out when we got......6 vaccines! There's always one or two. Plus the VA just tells you to wait, there was no option to argue with the nurses when I got mine.
I didn't argue, super sweet nurse btw.

So you know what a real bitch of a shot is like, the "Peanut Butter" shot, this was not that shot lol

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i had moderna. tomorrow is my two weeks after the second shot date, so i guess that means i will have official immunity.

i had no reaction to either shot. i got one in one arm and the second in the other arm, just to spread the love lol. maybe a little brief arm soreness around the shot sites afterward, but thats it.

my spouse had her first pfizer shot and no reaction at all either. she was in and out the javits center in 20min, and that includes the 15min they ask you to wait afterward. they literally jabbed her after she walked in the door lol. she goes back for number two next week.
I had a pretty minimal reaction to the Pfizer vaccine but that is not all good news. In a sense, a moderate systemic reaction--achiness, perhaps low fever--is evidence your immune system has been triggered and gone into high gear. It's the immune response that largely causes fever when you have any sort of infection. I almost wish I had had a bit more.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:11 PM

Quote:
I remember people passing out when we got......6 vaccines!

I worked at a Naval Training Center for 6 years. That only happens to Marines. Usually the tougher they think they are, the more likely.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:16 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
I didn't argue, super sweet nurse btw.

So you know what a real bitch of a shot is like, the "Peanut Butter" shot, this was not that shot lol
It was lighter than the normal flu shot, I'm pretty sure. As far as shots go Anthrax = worst shot of all time (for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I worked at a Naval Training Center for 6 years. That only happens to Marines. Usually the tougher they think they are, the more likely.
Oh man...one guy made it through 3-4 shot stations only to faint right before the last one, each time we had to go get shots.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah, one of the first doctors to get the COVID vax passed out on TV after getting it. They weren't really watching us closely when I got the first dose last weekend, but I waited the 15 minutes just in case. Better to pass out in the waiting room than outside on the sidewalk.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:21 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah, one of the first doctors to get the COVID vax passed out on TV after getting it. They weren't really watching us closely when I got the first dose last weekend, but I waited the 15 minutes just in case. Better to pass out in the waiting room than outside on the sidewalk.
Is is a shock response for people who are afraid of needles, or were they responding to whatever is in the vaccine?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:27 PM

Example from today:

Fox32 Chicago

"Vaccination site closes after adverse reactions to johnson and johnson vaccine:report"

"Health experts warn not to skip 2n dose of Covid-19 vaccine"

Yesterday:

"Moderna vaccine protection lasts at least 6 months" (what do idiots see? ONLY 6 months! Even though that's just the amount of time we've had to understand it)

"Georgia woman contracts breakthrough Covid-19 infection after vaccination"

"Nearly 250 fully vaccinated people in Michigan have tested positive for covid-19"

This is really just from the last 36 hours for one local station. This is causing confusion and resistance and it isn't responsible, its for clicks.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Is is a shock response for people who are afraid of needles, or were they responding to whatever is in the vaccine?
It's called "vasovagal syncope"

Quote:
Vasovagal syncope (vay-zoh-VAY-gul SING-kuh-pee) occurs when you faint because your body overreacts to certain triggers, such as the sight of blood or extreme emotional distress. It may also be called neurocardiogenic syncope.

The vasovagal syncope trigger causes your heart rate and blood pressure to drop suddenly. That leads to reduced blood flow to your brain, causing you to briefly lose consciousness.

Vasovagal syncope is usually harmless and requires no treatment. But it's possible that you may injure yourself during a vasovagal syncope episode.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20350527

It happens when the brain triggers vagal nerve activity that slows the heart and dilates blood vessels causing blood to pool and reducing circulating blood volume very briefly.

Actually, when I was being taught how to draw blood, it happened to me as one of my classmates was drawing my blood. When I came to, the instructor was teaching the class about vasovagal syncope over me lying on the floor. Ever since I have a cold/clammy response to my own blood (but only mine--other peoples' doesn't bother me at all). And shots don't bother me either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions