HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 5:45 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Americans earn 23% more on average than Canadians so they have more disposable income for items than we do. Most items are cheaper to buy in the u.s. as well only real cost issue for Americans is their health care costs through their various health plans.
Yeah that is a difference for sure, but I'm guessing for the types of people who will be buying higher end goods, they will largely work for employers who offer really good benefits to their employees, so the result is these people end up with higher income.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 6:24 PM
What could go wrong?

I can't comment on how much more they earn in the US than here in Canada, but I have been there twice in the last 3 months and other than gas being slightly less expensive we found just about everything we bought was more expensive in the US - that was not factoring the exchange which made it even worse. (Fargo, Minneapolis, LA)
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I can't comment on how much more they earn in the US than here in Canada, but I have been there twice in the last 3 months and other than gas being slightly less expensive we found just about everything we bought was more expensive in the US - that was not factoring the exchange which made it even worse. (Fargo, Minneapolis, LA)
Yup, that matches. Sure, gas is cheaper, (and booze, of course!) and I'm sure there's certain categories of goods and services that are generally cheaper but I'm continually surprised by how expensive things are when I'm down there. Even to the point of taking the exchange rate out on some things, it's still cheaper at home. Then, tack on 35-40 points... yeesh!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Common theme. Seems that between outrageous mortgage payments from rising interest rates, lower wages, high-ish income taxes, and high food costs, Canadians in general are becoming too poor for most luxury goods. Not enough money left over at the end of the month to justifying buying $200 shirts and pants.
If we look at the upper department store market which would include the likes of Nordstrom and 5th Avenue that whole segment of the market has basically been in a global free fall for over a decade now and not just in Canada. Many of the established brands have been pulling their products from these stores in favor of operating their own retail channels where they have greater control over marketing and discounts. There is also the factor that the luxury brands once they hook a customer can pepper them with direct marketing emails and ship goods overnight to them from a warehouse with far greater reach that even the broadest network of brick and mortar stores.

Then we have changing demographics where the GenX and Baby Boombers that once would have been frequent customers of the luxury brands and stores selling them are later in their careers or fully retired and not feeling the same social pressures to keep up appearances and compete within social circles. And Millennials still turn to some luxury brands but it would be out of place to see them with luxury shoes or handbag on a fast fashion, vintage or even discount clothing store outfit.

Nordstrom exiting the Canadian market is less about the Canadians side of things there and almost exclusively about how Nordstrom does busineess.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 9:23 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Americans earn 23% more on average than Canadians so they have more disposable income for items than we do. Most items are cheaper to buy in the u.s. as well only real cost issue for Americans is their health care costs through their various health plans.
Also remember mortgage interest is tax deductible. And no carbon taxes.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 10:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
There are no deals for Canadians in the US anymore, factor in our Truedope $.70 dollar, gas and booze are the only two things to save on!

Compared some things I buy at Costco here to the US Costco prices and things are more there in US dollars!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
There are no deals for Canadians in the US anymore, factor in our Truedope $.70 dollar, gas and booze are the only two things to save on!

Compared some things I buy at Costco here to the US Costco prices and things are more there in US dollars!
When Chrétien was in office the dollar was at 66 cents. So 73-75 cents ain’t so bad. Right around where it was when Mulroney left office.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 5:57 PM

Article just hit the Winnipeg Free Press (paywall) True North is looking to buy Portage Place. Probably a good thing. If anyone understands Winnipeg and can make a go of a mixed use reno it’s them.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 7:15 PM

Portage Place has been in a real downfall ever since Burger King closed the 2nd floor restaurant near the bridge to Investors' Group.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Common theme. Seems that between outrageous mortgage payments from rising interest rates, lower wages, high-ish income taxes, and high food costs, Canadians in general are becoming too poor for most luxury goods. Not enough money left over at the end of the month to justifying buying $200 shirts and pants.

Of course there are exceptions: Canada seems to have two groups of above-average middle class households that can afford luxury goods:

1) Boomers who bought their houses before 2001 and have paid the original mortgage, and now the value of their home has increased by 5 to 10 times the original purchase price, giving them access to HELOCS. This demographic would rather spend their excess cash on boats, RVs, Mustangs, and trips to Florida instead of buying luxury furniture or clothing. You can find this group across most major cities, but they are a dwindling number.

2) International students who bring in significant wealth from overseas. This is the group you'll find at the luxury stores in Toronto and Vancouver, but their number too small to sustain retail operations as we've seen with the closures.

After that, of course there are the 0.01% who have a tonne of disposable income, but again, too small a number to sustain luxury retail across Canada.

Canada lacks an "in-between" mid-life, high-income demographic that would be the main target for these stores. Sure, Vancouver and Toronto have a lot of 30 and 40-something high income earners from tech, law, and finance, but the vast majority of this group is too burdened with paying $2,500/month rents on skyboxes at Young and Bloor, $1,000 month lease payments on Audis, and then being broke at the end of the month after spending their remaining income on Skip/DoorDash/groceries to care too much about whatever luxury clothing brand is hot these days.

This group is much bigger in the states, and much more dispersed. If I was a luxury brand, the U.S. would be my main target obviously. Canada would be a tiny afterthought given the lack of disposable income in this country. Rents, housing prices, and food prices are way too high in this country and there isn't anything reasonable any one person can do about it.
Interesting take. But I wonder how much of Nordstrom's lack of success in Canada has to do with a more frugal culture as far as clothes and accessories are concerned. Obviously Winnipeg is a bit of an extreme case, but I can think of a few people locally that I know with high net worths who buy their jeans at Costco. They could easily afford to buy whatever designer brands they want but they just don't care.

Contrast that with, for example, Asian cities where for many younger people it is culturally a Big Deal to make sure you have whatever designer handbag, watch or jacket. Even if you have to save for months to get it. The sheer prominence of designer brands there speaks to that. People may feel otherwise but I don't think it's a knock on Canada if people aren't lining up to buy expensive sweaters or whatever from Nordstrom... the money is there, it is just being spent elsewhere. Although it is tougher to swallow if that money is going towards high rents and mortgages instead.

I wonder if Nordstrom's timing was off too, I can't imagine that the sale of fancy tailored clothes has been all that hot over the last few years. I can tell you that I haven't bought a single suit, tie or dress shirt since the pandemic started. 90% of the clothes I have bought over the last 3 years have come from Under Armour and such. I'm probably not alone in that regard.

All that being said, I am a little surprised that Nordstrom didn't hang on at least in Toronto and Vancouver where the international presence and a tendency to spend bigger on labels would have seemingly kept those stores afloat. I guess it wasn't worth it. Those big department store vacancies are going to leave some big holes in the urban fabric there... it will be interesting to see what happens.

Finally, I guess Saks is vindicated for playing it safe, they started out by dipping their toes in the water with outlet stores before going whole hog like Target and Nordstrom did. But looking back at it, now that several US retailers have retreated from Canada, I wonder if the golden age of Canadian retail of roughly 2000-2020 where we were treated effectively as the 51st state by American chains is effectively over now.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 3:21 PM

I fall into said category and would rather spend my money on vacations than a bag or fancy shoes. Not that I dress like a slob, but I don't need to where the latest Jordans or whatever crap fad is about.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting take. But I wonder how much of Nordstrom's lack of success in Canada has to do with a more frugal culture as far as clothes and accessories are concerned.
Something to keep in mind is Nordstrom, Holts, Saks and to some degree Simmons and Hudson Bay all effectively don't have house brands but depend on other companies to supply products for them to sell. Nordstorm, like Target, had no market presence in Canada and when those independent brands made deals to have their brands sold in store they secured US rights only. This meant that top brands for Nordstorm US may not available to be sold in Nordstorm CA.

Granted there is a lot less out there about Nordstorm than Target but that was a huge issue for Target in Canada as they could not offer the brands people expected to find in stores. Then there were other brands or items which could not be sold in Canada for product labelling or other legal reasons. Target had a pile of other issues on the go including a corporate culture where senior staff could never say "no".

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 4:47 PM

^ To this day I still don't understand what people were missing from Target Canada's stores. Once they got a handle on their supply chain issues after year one, I thought they had a great assortment of products. Walmart Canada doesn't sell 100% the same stuff as their US stores and people don't seem to mind... I don't know why the expectation was any different for Target.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 6:20 PM

I was in the East Winnipeg Lowe's this morning and when I left I saw a notice on the exit door that Lowe's is closing in Canada and rebranding back to Rona.

I did a little looking online and in the fall of 2022 Lowe's sold their Canadian holdings to a New York based hedge fund called Sycamore Partners.

I wonder what will happen to the Craftsman/Kobolt tool line and some of the other Lowe's house brands that are currently being sold? Will there be warranty support in the future once the rebranding is complete?

Also it will be interesting to see which of the south Winnipeg Lowe's/Rona store closes as they are in about 1km of each other. I can't see having the same store in a very close location the only difference being on what side of the street they are on.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 7:17 PM

Quote:
^ To this day I still don't understand what people were missing from Target Canada's stores. Once they got a handle on their supply chain issues after year one, I thought they had a great assortment of products. Walmart Canada doesn't sell 100% the same stuff as their US stores and people don't seem to mind... I don't know why the expectation was any different for Target.
When Walmart first opened in the early 90's, they were out of stock on many items for a few years. Canadians gave them a pass.
Target had a way better assortment of clothes, home fashions, linens and food.
I still have clothes that are in good condition not to mention towels, linens etc...
Canadians can be fickle with retail.
Especially in Manitoba, Walmart. and even more so shopping @ Costco are like having orgasms to many. It is more exhilarating then when Betty R & Wilma F were out shopping & screamed out 'CHARGE IT"

Last edited by BAKGUY; Mar 7, 2023 at 10:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Among other things Target USA has long been known for a wide range of clothing sizes including petite, tall, very small and very large. None of those existed in Canada. There were also major differences in where their clothing came from (brands, etc)

I had heard comments that some house brands of cosmetics Target USA had heavily marketed were not available in Canada.

And then the whole food issues. Even looking beyond people expecting US only food items to somehow magically appear in Target Canada there were also issues with private label brands as not surprisingly some of those US market sourced products could not be brought into Canada due to product labelling issues.

Overall this ended up with the product mix of Target Canada being vastly different that the Target USA experience Canadians were expecting. And that is without getting into all the operational challenges Target Canada had including a very poorly implemented POS and inventory supply program.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 9:08 PM

i heard new owner keep all locations, which is weird having 2 in the South so close together, so assume it'll be a matter of time.

personally, i think Lowe's carried way more modern and stylish things than Rona and HD and will miss that if it changes

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 9:23 PM

Rona was run as the black sheep compared to Lowes. so ya no wonder they are run down.

I would expect new owner to update the tired Rona stores and probably get rid of the current Rona on Kenaston since the Lowes is a much newer building.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
i heard new owner keep all locations, which is weird having 2 in the South so close together, so assume it'll be a matter of time.

personally, i think Lowe's carried way more modern and stylish things than Rona and HD and will miss that if it changes
So I guess in South Winnipeg it will come down to what ever lease is the easiest to get out of as I think both the Rona and Lowe's are around the same floor space.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
So I guess in South Winnipeg it will come down to what ever lease is the easiest to get out of as I think both the Rona and Lowe's are around the same floor space.
Hard to say. From an external perspective I think the Rona has the better yard including bulky garden materials, lumber, etc. While Lowes definitely has a much more prominent location. The interior flows are also vastly different even if the product ends up being very similar.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan