HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

W Philadelphia & Element Philadelphia Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 5:31 PM
User Since 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
Until this is finished there’s literally no reason to use that sidewalk
I work across the street from the W and I can tell you it's a huge pain having the sidewalk closed. The sidewalks on 15th are so narrow and all the traffic is on one side approaching city hall. It's like midtown Manhattan during rush hour in this area.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 5:28 PM

This thing is really limping along. I haven't noticed anything new done to the lower floors/entrances in months... still wood boards on several windows on the upper floors. I'm assuming they're doing room fit outs now b/c there's not a ton of ground level activity going on.

Scheduled open date is now just 3.5 months out.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 2:58 PM

The (W)all

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8xGeNkDp0Z/

Inga briefly mentioned The W on her IG last week while at her dentist office - but only photo'd the good side (she did refer to the construction as "never-ending").

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8r83S3DpEw/

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 10:34 PM

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 11:21 PM
User Since 2002

Every day that goes by I get more and more upset about this building. The wall is an assault on Philadelphia. How was this allowed? How was this conceived? The construction is never ending. At this point I'd rather they gave up and just took the trash down.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 11:42 PM

That's just your patience running out. And I don't think the architects were ever going to reveal the blank wall, only the pretty face to get us excited. I often see the south face from my Jersey spots and I'm happy about that, more spots in the south than north. I just really hope they finish this thing by June, I wanna see it lit up already. I have noticed the BMU going around the crown recently on the panorama on the Arthaus Earthcam, I think they're either inspecting or installing lights at the top

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 12:44 AM

I mean... the PSFS has a giant blank wall.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 1:03 AM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Don't forget the wall on the Eastern Tower (or whatever it is called now) in Chinatown.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 3:09 AM
Philly Pholly

this wall is facing City Hall

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 3:56 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
this wall is facing City Hall
Yep, this is the most egregious blank wall out of the group.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 9:11 AM

Honestly the best we can hope for at this point is a huge mural. With our mural arts program it's not impossible but of course who knows. Maybe we can send suggestions to the program?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 3:00 PM

Honestly the blank wall isn't even that noticeable at street level. There are certainly worse blank walls in the city. Heck this one is right around the corner:

Sadly the mural is gone from that one.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 3:09 PM
User Since 2002

None of these other walls we speak of have as prominent a position on the skyline and their contrasts are less offensive. 3 quarters blue glass and then 500+ feet of cement that I imagine visitors must assume is the world’s tallest prison.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
Honestly the blank wall isn't even that noticeable at street level. There are certainly worse blank walls in the city. Heck this one is right around the corner:
agreed, that goes for its appearance in photos too where it blends in with its neighbors color-wise, I don't get all this bitching & complaining. Could it look better if they'd gone a different way, sure, but that is far from unique to this structure. Once this thread is put to pasture I doubt it'll ever again cross my mind.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
agreed, that goes for its appearance in photos too where it blends in with its neighbors color-wise, I don't get all this bitching & complaining. Could it look better if they'd gone a different way, sure, but that is far from unique to this structure. Once this thread is put to pasture I doubt it'll ever again cross my mind.
I have to agree here. As a skyscraper enthusiast, I absolutely notice this and in my view, it's pretty bad. Does Joe Schmoe notice when looking at the picture above? I really doubt it.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 4:23 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Yeah, this. In a perfect world it would be different, but the fact that the construction just refuses to end (leading to that intersection continuing to be a mess for pedestrians and vehicles...) is infinitely more annoying than the wall.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 4:30 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
Yeah, this. In a perfect world, it would be different, but the fact that the construction just refuses to end (leading to that intersection continuing to be a mess for pedestrians and vehicles...) is infinitely more annoying than the wall.
15th & Chestnut is so F****D it doesn't make any sense like someone said it's like driving in manhattan during rush hour. the Ped traffic is so heavy on Chestnut you cant even turn, especially when the school lets out. the kids don't care about cars they just keep walking.

Right now that intersection causes backups from Chestnut, 15th, Penn Square and eve Sansom. they need to let people know whats going on.

CMON W I thought yall were a world HOTEL?!!?!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 10:19 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
…the Ped traffic is so heavy on Chestnut you cant even turn, especially when the school lets out. the kids don't care about cars they just keep walking…
Consider it a good day when the kids just keep walking, as opposed to their frequent rampaging and general hooliganism at and around that intersection.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 1:32 AM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Consider it a good day when the kids just keep walking, as opposed to their frequent rampaging and general hooliganism at and around that intersection.
all i’ll say is that “rampaging” is a bit of a stretch.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Rampaging?

Wow. I feel bad for any school kid walking around that intersection that has to catch a glimpse of your miserable face.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive