HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 7:39 PM

A relevant condo ruling regarding EV charging:

Luxury B.C. building strata right in unplugging EV charger, tribunal rules
B.C.'s Civil Resolution Tribunal says a strata acted "reasonably" in turning off the power to a man's EV charger
By Jeremy Hainsworth | May 4, 2022, 9:52am

A luxury Vancouver building’s strata council was correct in turning off a Vancouver man’s electric vehicle (EV) charger until he paid his bills, B.C.’s Civil Resolution Tribunal ruled May 3.

Milad Rostamkhani said the strata, the Shangri-La at 1111 Alberni St., has improperly charged him $1,911 for his EV charging station. He said he has paid the money, claims he was overcharged for the station’s initial installation and that the power was shut off.

Rostamkhani asked the tribunal that the debt on his account be cleared, that each owner be paid back $368.69 for alleged overpayments and for his charging station to be turned back on....

....After an investigation of electrical capacity, the strata determined 50 charging stations could be installed at participating owners’ expense.

In May 2017, the strata announced the project, saying any owner who opted in would be responsible for their proportionate portion of the core infrastructure installation costs — plus $3,500 to $5,500 for the cost of connecting the owner’s specific parking stall charger to the infrastructure.

An agreement for project participation said the strata would coordinate charger installation, invoice the owners according to the number of project participants and provide a credit to owners based on the total number of participants once maximum capacity was reached....

https://biv.com/article/2022/05/luxu...tribunal-rules

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 8:52 PM
Volatile Pacivist

A PHEV might be good for someone without consistent access to a charger since they can still top up when they can and save on gas usage but not be forced to when it isn't convenient. Although it really depends on how much you drive and how unreliable your access to charging actually is. If you drive no more than around 20km per day and can afford an EV with a range of over 200km (which more have now) then as long as you can access a charger on a weekly basis and don't do a lot of road trips you'd be fine. If there was a rapid charger at say, your gym, cafe, or a favourite bookstore, you could just charge every Saturday when you were spending time there anyway.

But if you drive more and/or your access was less consistent then yes a hybrid or PHEV is still a good compromise.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 10:48 PM
Registered Loser

I've just started looking at plug-in hybrids, I'm definitely not a car person, and was wondering:

Are the gas tanks smaller in plug-in hybrids typically or is the car much heavier? Like is the gas range much lower than if it was just an all-gas version of the same model?

Do you need to make any modification to your outlet or can you just use a regular outlet (understanding that it'd be slower than a properly upgraded outlet)? Like is the plug just a regular 3 prong plug that fits into a normal wall outlet and that would provide enough juice to charge overnight?

Looking at the Tucson and RAV4 currently. My only remaining concern is if I move and no longer have a garage. I have a garage right now but it's a rental and I understand that might not last forever. Not sure what I'd do if I had a condo or a place with street-only parking.

The government rebates almost completely cover the cost of the plug in upgrade, so it seems like an easy win when taking into account the gas savings.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 11:11 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by touraccuracy View Post
I've just started looking at plug-in hybrids, I'm definitely not a car person, and was wondering:

Are the gas tanks smaller in plug-in hybrids typically or is the car much heavier? Like is the gas range much lower than if it was just an all-gas version of the same model?

Do you need to make any modification to your outlet or can you just use a regular outlet (understanding that it'd be slower than a properly upgraded outlet)? Like is the plug just a regular 3 prong plug that fits into a normal wall outlet and that would provide enough juice to charge overnight?

Looking at the Tucson and RAV4 currently. My only remaining concern is if I move and no longer have a garage. I have a garage right now but it's a rental and I understand that might not last forever. Not sure what I'd do if I had a condo or a place with street-only parking.

The government rebates almost completely cover the cost of the plug in upgrade, so it seems like an easy win when taking into account the gas savings.
For the weight and range there isn't one single answer that applies to all models as the implementation of the technology varies, but the general trend is that hybrids and PHEVs often have longer ranges than pure gas equivalents because even though the hyrbid technology adds weight and they sometimes do use smaller gas tanks, hybrids (of both types) tend to use significantly less gas. The weight penalty is often only a few hundred lbs which isn't a large percentage of the vehicle weight, while the fuel economy is better due to the regenerative braking (mainly in town) and due to various efficiency treatments such as more aerodynamic tires and body work. On the highway, aerodynamics often has a greater effect on fuel efficiency than weight.

There are some hybrids that have among the highest gas ranges you can get in any vehicle. Regardless, while there is variation between models I don't recall seeing a hybrid model with a significantly lower range and certainly none that are lower than typically expected compared to regular ICE cars. However, one thing to be cautious of when choosing a hybrid is to understand what, if any, limitation there are on storage capacity. Some hybrids - particularly those based on regular ICE models - can give up some storage capacity or flexibility (like fold down seats) to make room for the battery. This isn't an issue with all models though.

In terms of the charging, all PHEVs (like many full electric cars) can be charged from a standard outlet. Most if not all can also be charged on a level 2, 240v outlet, but many can't be level 3 rapid charged. Depending on the battery size, a standard wall plug should recharge a PHEV overnight, depending on what your definition of overnight is. You'll have a better selection if you're willing to wait say 13 hrs compared to 8 or 10. Remember also that charging tends to be fastest below 80% and slows down significantly when almost full. So there's more than just total charging time to consider.

Anyway, hope that helps!

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 6:37 AM

Reviews coming in for the Ford F150 lightning. Seems like a great deal TBH if you're into trucks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPGTdmza7z4

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
A PHEV might be good for someone without consistent access to a charger since they can still top up when they can and save on gas usage but not be forced to when it isn't convenient. Although it really depends on how much you drive and how unreliable your access to charging actually is. If you drive no more than around 20km per day and can afford an EV with a range of over 200km (which more have now) then as long as you can access a charger on a weekly basis and don't do a lot of road trips you'd be fine. If there was a rapid charger at say, your gym, cafe, or a favourite bookstore, you could just charge every Saturday when you were spending time there anyway.

But if you drive more and/or your access was less consistent then yes a hybrid or PHEV is still a good compromise.
For me the choice in a PHEV over a BEV is the choices in vehicles for me in my price range. I simply can't afford a larger BEV vehicle. I have a Kia Sorento PHEV on order (originally had the HEV ordered but upgraded the order 6 or 7 weeks ago). If I could actually get in a Niro or EV6, I would order that, but I'm a tall wide guy and I'm not going to be totally uncomfortable on my 45 minute each way drive to work just to have a BEV.

The electric range of the Sorento only gets me 2/3 of the way to work, so I'm hoping I might be able to plug in at work, but even if not, that bit of savings as well as weekend driving which should be mostly electric, will hopefully be noticed. The government rebate, especially the new one, covers the cost of upgrading from HEV to PHEV.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Reviews coming in for the Ford F150 lightning. Seems like a great deal TBH if you're into trucks:
Great looking vehicle, I hope this works out for Ford and there's no lemon issues with them, etc.

Absolute no brainer work truck with that electrical output for tools.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 12:05 AM

Electric Boulevard of Broken Dreams:

[IMG]tesla by bcborn, on Flickr[/IMG]
(my photo)

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 6:50 AM

Used Model 3 and Ioniq 5 are now worth more than brand new
MAY 17, 2022 RIZ AKHTAR

Australia’s EV uptake has hit new highs in 2022 with many buyers not able to get popular EV models like Tesla Model 3 for up to 12 months. What has this strong uptake done to the used EV prices?

We take a look at new data that reveals prices being paid by EV buyers around the country.

Tesla Model 3 resale prices hit a new high
Tesla Model 3 is Australia’s most popular EV and new data shows its resale prices are at an all time high. In April 2022, an average used 2021 Tesla Model 3 owner paid $68,437. These EVs had an average of 7,458 kms on them with over 73 cars analysed.

https://thedriven.io/2022/05/17/mode...han-brand-new/

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Used Model 3 and Ioniq 5 are now worth more than brand new
MAY 17, 2022 RIZ AKHTAR

Australia’s EV uptake has hit new highs in 2022 with many buyers not able to get popular EV models like Tesla Model 3 for up to 12 months. What has this strong uptake done to the used EV prices?

We take a look at new data that reveals prices being paid by EV buyers around the country.

Tesla Model 3 resale prices hit a new high
Tesla Model 3 is Australia’s most popular EV and new data shows its resale prices are at an all time high. In April 2022, an average used 2021 Tesla Model 3 owner paid $68,437. These EVs had an average of 7,458 kms on them with over 73 cars analysed.

https://thedriven.io/2022/05/17/mode...han-brand-new/
I don't know why this same news story keeps getting posted over and over. Every used car is selling for more than new.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
if you can get your hands on one. They are sold out for like the next 3 years of production already.

I saw one on I75 in Dearborn in early April when I drove through. Looks like another slam dunk product for Ford - the electric Silverado isn't nearly as interesting IMO.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 3:40 PM

The electric trucks are also attractive for military conversion. Which is additional demand on production. Here's GM using the electric Hummer to build an electric Infantry Squad Vehicle (ISV) for American Special Forces.

Video Link

Here's the basic diesel version (based on Chevy ZR2) on Jay Leno's garage:

Video Link

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Looks like another slam dunk product for Ford - the electric Silverado isn't nearly as interesting IMO.
Ford does everything I wish Chevy would do

Retro Bronco vs the absolute blegh that is the modern Blazer
Electric truck that looks like the regular truck
Full support and range of options for 2-door trucks

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 4:25 PM

EV sales continue to increase dramatically:

Quote:
ZEV market share in Canada reached 8.3% in Q1 2022

BC led the way at 17.1% (!!), which is on par with California's Q1 2022 results. Quebec at 13.6%. Ontario at 5.7%.

With these numbers in BC, we must have hit peak ICE vehicle ownership, and likely peak gasoline consumption.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 4:53 PM

For what its worth I was in a Tesla dealership this week and they said they've never seen demand like this before. This is a new dealership in Barrie, and one of the two lead sales people says he's personally sold 130+ cars himself this year. And there's another sales lady there too so obviously the total number is much higher.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 4:37 PM

do EV cars get special treatment in other cities or provinces?

Here in BC on highways that have HOV lanes EV cars can use them if they have a sticker on them that allows single-occupant vehicles to use what normally requires 2 or more. It's usually a parade of Teslas during the commute. California also has a sticker for HOV use.

Some shopping malls use to have "green" parking spots close to the entrances where EV cars could park but I think most places have now gotten rid of those special spots.

mellenger.com

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
do EV cars get special treatment in other cities or provinces?

Here in BC on highways that have HOV lanes EV cars can use them if they have a sticker on them that allows single-occupant vehicles to use what normally requires 2 or more. It's usually a parade of Teslas during the commute. California also has a sticker for HOV use.

Some shopping malls use to have "green" parking spots close to the entrances where EV cars could park but I think most places have now gotten rid of those special spots.

mellenger.com
Ontario also allows PHEV and higher to use HOV lanes if you have the green letter plate.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 3:51 PM

BIV/Times Colonist: B.C. electric vehicle sales tops in North America

Quote:
B.C. electric vehicle sales tops in North America

13% of all new light vehicle sales in B.C. in 2021 were zero-emission vehicles — the highest rate on the continent on a per capita basis

By Darron Kloster, Times Colonist | June 2, 2022, 10:10am

George Heyman, minister of environment and climate change strategy, said 13% of all new light vehicle sales in B.C. in 2021 were zero-emission vehicles — the highest rate on the continent on a per capita basis — and first-quarter results this year show it’s increased to 17%.

“We’re doubling in two short years on the rate of [EV] take-up.” said Heyman.

Despite supply chain issues that have delayed deliveries of new EVs, Heyman said: “We want to accelerate that up-take.”

Heyman said the rapid adoption of electric vehicles is being noticed in the U.S., where last week in meetings with counterparts in Washington, Oregon and California, all made a point of highlighting B.C.’s lead — “even California,” said Heyman.

[...]

The province said it had created about 3,000 charging stations by the end of 2021 and plans to have more than 10,000 by 2030.

Bruce Ralston, minister of energy, mines and low carbon innovation, said the province will also continue to invest in EV maintenance training programs. The British Columbia Institute of Technology launched the first training program in 2019 to provide Red Seal automotive technicians with the skills they need to work on EVs. In 2021, the program was expanded to Okanagan College, College of New Caledonia and Camosun College.

[...]

Julian Sales, who owns Motorize Electric Vehicles and operates sales lots of new and used electric vehicles in Sidney and View Royal, said the popularity of EVs is escalating. He sells between 20 and 30 vehicles a month, saying operating costs are often the magnet that draws new buyers, especially with gas prices at a record high.

“Two cents a kilometre is ­better than 50 cents a kilometre,” he said.

Sales said first-time buyers are on average a more mature demographic because the cost of EVs is rising — “easily about 10 grand higher than last year,” said Sales, noting that inflation and inventory challenges are major reasons.

“The 20- and 30-somethings can’t afford a $50,000 car,” he said.

Sales said governments should invest in training, the mining of materials that make EV systems and bring manufacturing of the parts to Canada — and leave charging stations to the private sector. He said service stations such as Petro Canada are already developing a coast-to-coast charging strategy and others will follow the demand.

[...]
https://biv.com/article/2022/06/bc-e...-north-america

Not definitive, but just one more data point underscoring that mass adoption of EVs will not be linear but a dramatic s-curve. The steepness of the curve will depend on vehicle supply and acquisition cost, operating costs, opportunity cost of not buying an EV and paying for gas and conventional ICE vehicle maintenance, EV incentives, and the prevalence/quality/cost/familiarity of charging infrastructure at home and out in the world.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Jun 3, 2022 at 4:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 11:16 PM

Yikes!

Transport Canada investigating after B.C. man trapped inside burning Tesla
Ben Miljure
Published June 2, 2022 6:39 p.m. PDT

Transport Canada says it is now in possession of a Tesla that suddenly lost power, seemingly rendering the doors inoperable, before bursting into flames.

It happened in North Vancouver on Friday, May 20.

Jamil Jutha told CTV News his car played an audio message with the words ‘Error, error, error’ before the vehicle completely shut down.

He attempted to use the buttons to open the door, and when that didn’t work, he tried to lower the windows – but that also failed.

As he contemplated what to do next, he smelled toxic smoke filling the cabin through the vents.

"Of course there's always going to be panic in a moment where you feel trapped. I kicked through the window, climbed out and called 911 right away,” Jutha said.

Moments after he escaped from the Model Y, which he purchased just eight months ago, thick black smoke began to billow from the car before it went up in flames...

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/transport-cana...esla-1.5930716

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 12:36 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Yikes!

Transport Canada investigating after B.C. man trapped inside burning Tesla
Ben Miljure
Published June 2, 2022 6:39 p.m. PDT

Transport Canada says it is now in possession of a Tesla that suddenly lost power, seemingly rendering the doors inoperable, before bursting into flames.

It happened in North Vancouver on Friday, May 20.

Jamil Jutha told CTV News his car played an audio message with the words ‘Error, error, error’ before the vehicle completely shut down.

He attempted to use the buttons to open the door, and when that didn’t work, he tried to lower the windows – but that also failed.

As he contemplated what to do next, he smelled toxic smoke filling the cabin through the vents.

"Of course there's always going to be panic in a moment where you feel trapped. I kicked through the window, climbed out and called 911 right away,” Jutha said.

Moments after he escaped from the Model Y, which he purchased just eight months ago, thick black smoke began to billow from the car before it went up in flames...

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/transport-cana...esla-1.5930716
^ He obviously did not read his owner's manual safety features section, and was deficient in knowledge of the car's operation.
I guess people have never been trapped in an ICE vehicle, ever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada