HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Yeah you're confusing Malaysia with Gulf countries like Qatar and UAE. Does shady shit happen? Of course, but not the horrible conditions experienced in the latter.

"Useless Megatowers" this is a skyscrarper forum bud wtf are you even doing here?
You yourself said low paid foreign labor, which isn't too different from what happens in the UAE. Either way it's unacceptable, pay your damn workers especially when you have "deep pockets". There's no excusing it and it's not at all about what you tried to imply.

It's Skyscraperpage not Megatallpage. Regardless, criticism is a big part of the forum and always has been, I'm sure you're aware.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 12:30 AM

Yeah I'm totally sure the iconic skylines of New York, Chicago, et al. were all built using well paid red-blooded Americans with full benefits. Love how all you butthurt soyboys focus on one aspect of my reply and use it to write off an entire city's skyline -nay economic system - while ignoring everything else that was said. Facts hurt huh?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 11:05 AM
if I sang out of tune

Average salary of a construction worker (labourer) in Malaysia is $13K nominal - the median would be 8.5K before Covid, whilst the average salary in the country is $23K (median 12.5K). Not gonna paint the life of a construction worker as rosy anywhere on the planet, but basically in the country it means you'd be the high end of the working class, and comfortable (equivalent to the standing of say a barista or shop worker over here -hell, even a construction worker over here!).

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...tion-industry/

https://www.salaryexpert.com/salary/...orker/malaysia

https://malaysiandigest.com/how-much...y-in-malaysia/

That's about 4x higher than in Dubai. Malaysia btw is on the cusp of joining the Developed World gang, even despite Covid recession.

I think some people here are just making the usual assumptions about darkie countries stepping out of their place. You don't see the same knee-jerk reactions to projects in Russia or Central Europe, who score lower. Put up a skyscraper in Chile or Argentina and I doubt there'd be so many 'concerns' about the workforce that built it.

Last edited by muppet; Dec 4, 2021 at 11:36 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
There are hundreds of buildings (I don't know, I didn't count them) in that picture above and they all manage to look like they were built in the middle of nowhere. I guess Dubai has a similar thing going on. It hurts my brain.
Ya, that city looks like a mess. I mean there are grass lots just across the street from that highrise. Isn't there any zoning in the city?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 10:24 AM
if I sang out of tune

I think it's an Inner City Ring district that's soon gonna become subsumed into part of the KLCC (Kuala Lumpur City Centre) - read:regeneration via an anchor project. I really hope they protect those lowrise, older buildings.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Beautiful tower. Asia knows how to get things done!

Want to go back to 1880's level pollution, corruption and inequality?

Because the USA got a lot of cool shit built back then too but it was largely done through institutional corruption.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 10:01 PM
A Man In Dandism

Say nice things about an Asian city, and the axe grinders cannot resist coming out.

So predictable and sad.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture