HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 4:26 PM
James

This stems from a lack of good public transit, bad zoning laws, and the inability to do what's best for the community. The St. Mary's strip is in a curious situation due to the fact it's built around single-family homes. Something like this needs to exist within a mixed-use, multi-family development. It's going to be next to near impossible to find a solution that will satisfy everyone.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
This stems from a lack of good public transit, bad zoning laws, and the inability to do what's best for the community. The St. Mary's strip is in a curious situation due to the fact it's built around single-family homes. Something like this needs to exist within a mixed-use, multi-family development. It's going to be next to near impossible to find a solution that will satisfy everyone.
tbf i don't know what the people rehabbing houses a block away from there were expecting. been saying this forever but lower broadway should be the nightlife hub of the inner city.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
tbf i don't know what the people rehabbing houses a block away from there were expecting. been saying this forever but lower broadway should be the nightlife hub of the inner city.
I totally agree, but I was thinking more of North Alamo street just east of Lower Broadway. Leave Broadway for business and housing, have North Alamo as the nightlife central. That way it would be easier to close off for special events. There is no way to do that with St. Mary's St. There are too many homes that need StM St to get in and out. Plus it is a major artery for the area off of 281. Alamo can be closed off even for daytime events with no issues. Then you can utilize Maverick Park for festivals.

Damn, I wish I had some money lying around.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG1974 View Post
I totally agree, but I was thinking more of North Alamo street just east of Lower Broadway. Leave Broadway for business and housing, have North Alamo as the nightlife central. That way it would be easier to close off for special events. There is no way to do that with St. Mary's St. There are too many homes that need StM St to get in and out. Plus it is a major artery for the area off of 281. Alamo can be closed off even for daytime events with no issues. Then you can utilize Maverick Park for festivals.

Damn, I wish I had some money lying around.
100%, there's a ton of underutilized buildings on Alamo St too. Having that area between DT and the Pearl functioning like an Uptown Dallas/Midtown Houston of sorts would be good. I like the St Paul Square idea too, but it seems sort of limited to how many spots they can actually put into that strip.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 2:47 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
+1

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Cannot say I agree with that statement.

Lower Greenville in Dallas is in the same situation. It is pretty common in older areas.

Don't live in a bustling area if you don't like noise. Should there be a give and take? Absolutely.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 4:26 PM

Spurs reveal new San Antonio-focused logos for the upcoming NBA season

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...s-17192097.php

Amid a wave of changes, the San Antonio Spurs will have a few new looks for the 2022-23 NBA season. The franchise revealed three secondary logos that will be used throughout the season on Monday, May 23. The trio of new designs embrace the team's "long legacy in Texas," the announcement says.

"These new logos help broaden the team's brand with three adaptable logos, while staying true to the Spurs iconic legacy," the team says in a press statement.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 10:12 PM
Meh

So, Oklahoma is digging its spur into the heart of Texas. Ouch.

I also feel like it's not apparent enough that it's a spur. It's more like a star which is too close to...the Dallas Stars.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 8:50 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan-B-SATX View Post
If you're referring to what I think you're referring to. Are you serious?? Show some respect.
See the two arrows pointing up to the post directly above mine? That's what I was referring to. It's a commonly understood format people use to refer to a previous post. I understand that perhaps you weren't aware, so it's all good.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 3:27 PM

I too saw nothing wrong with your post Jack. If anything it was sort of a lamenting post. The NRA needs to be brought to heel by the citizenry. Of this country, the most powerful on earth. When will there enough rifles and pistols?
Avarice can become a mortal sin I believe. I am sure that we are also the most armed citizenry on earth: already. Guns are more ubiquitous than Convenience stores. So let someone try to invade. It would be difficult indeed. I believe in this right, indeed I own firearms.
You know there is a famous highway sign in Uvalde advertising; Guns and Whiskey.
On the same highway sign. Yes. Posted. Simultaneously. Way up in the air, too. Believe it or not. Give to him what ever he wants.
How many, of guns manufactured here, make their way south of the Border in the end? There must be a surplus or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
See the two arrows pointing up to the post directly above mine? That's what I was referring to. It's a commonly understood format people use to refer to a previous post. I understand that perhaps you weren't aware, so it's all good.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 7:57 PM

Readers ask for help with ‘orphan’ pavers in downtown San Antonio

https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...n-17189296.php

The Brick Walk was a fundraiser associated with the Tri-Party Improvements Project, a public/private cooperation intended to make downtown San Antonio streets more convenient and inviting. Made by Alamo Concrete Pavers, the bricks were each about 2-3 inches thick and could be engraved with a brief message or more often a name in honor or memory of a loved one. While many more blank units were placed to spruce up downtown sidewalks, the inscribed pavers were installed on a section of Houston Street that began at Alamo Plaza and continued west past the Majestic Theatre, through a high-traffic area of restaurants and cultural venues that recalled the days when Houston Street was the city’s busiest shopping and entertainment area.

The personalized sidewalks were intended to be “an attraction for someone who purchased a brick to come down and look for their brick and maybe stay downtown to have a meal or go to a show,” said Melissa Burnett, Centro Alliance’s director of marketing in 2014. “It generated some news as we used the placement of some celebrity and public official’s bricks as media opportunities (and) we also had special sections for veterans of Operation Desert Storm and for the defenders of the Alamo.”

I found my grandmother's brick a few years ago. Sounds like I should go back and see if it is still there

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 8:01 PM

First look: ‘Immersive Van Gogh’ finally opens in San Antonio

https://www.expressnews.com/entertai...y-17201261.php

The images swirl and morph on the walls and floor in two large rooms. At one point, a bright yellow sun rises over fields on one wall and travels all around the room, eventually slowly descending as the scene shifts to darkened skies. Later, the walls fill with rows of “Skull of a Skeleton with a Burning Cigarette.” Smoke rises from the tip of the cigarette, eventually taking the form of a flickering flame in the lamp illuminating “The Potato Eaters.”

The film ends with “The Starry Night” and “Starry Night Over the Rhone.” The famed swirls of the former painting slowly take shape, followed by stars from the latter that burst through the black then fade, evoking fireworks.

As the projections play out, a soundtrack by Luca Longobardi fills the space. It includes works by Handel and Mussorgsky, Édith Piaf’s “Non, Je ne regrette rien” and Meiko Kaji’s “Urami Bushi” and works Longobardi composed for the exhibit.

All of that sound and imagery comes from 48 projectors and more than 60 speakers, said Paul Pedersen, the engineer in charge of the exhibition.

“We have other interesting shows toward the end of the year that we’re already planning, so we may skip ‘Frida Kahlo’ in San Antonio in favor of something else, or come back to ‘Frida Kahlo’ later after launching something else,” he said. “But certainly, assuming this works well for us, and the public accepts it and is as excited about it as they have been in other cities, then yeah, our intent would be to find other wonderful projects that we could bring into the space.”

Visitors who want to dig deeper into Van Gogh can download the free “Immersive Van Gogh” app, which includes audio guides designed to be listened to ahead of and while viewing the exhibit, as well as short essays about a handful of the featured paintings.

They also might want to swing by the McNay Art Museum. The “Marion Koogler McNay’s Legacy” exhibit includes van Gogh’s 1890 painting “Women Crossing the Fields,” as well as an 1893 self-portrait of his friend and fellow artist Paul Gaugin.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 8:04 PM

Natural Bridge Caverns begins 24-hour exploration of San Antonio cave

https://www.mysanantonio.com/lifesty...o-17201654.php

A caving team will journey through unexplored cave passages at Natural Bridge Caverns in hopes of finding a connection between a newly discovered cave and the northern reaches of the caverns. The exploration is set for Friday, May 27 and could take up to 24-hours to complete.

"It could potentially change our ranking in terms of longest caves in Texas," said Winter D. Prosapio, Director of Communications for the Natural Bridge Caverns. "It’s also all about having a better understanding of the cavern. The more we know, the better for us to be stewards of this incredible natural formation."

The team hopes to find a connection from the "Hope's Mantel" area to the Wild Cave's "House of Cards" room. It would add another 1,398 feet to bring the total to 20,475 feet, which is 3.88 miles. It would make the caverns the sixth longest cave in the state.

Natural Bridge Caverns is 3.61 miles long, making it the eighth longest cave in the state, moving up from 13th on the list due to recent discoveries. Natural Bridge Caverns remains the largest cave, in terms of volume, in Texas, according to the release.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 8:15 PM

'World's steepest dive coaster' opens in Texas this summer

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/ar...o-17203269.php

This summer, Six Flags Fiesta Texas will introduce a roller coaster named "Dr. Diabolical’s Cliffhanger," according to a recent press release, an attraction the company has described as the "world's steepest dive coaster

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 4:30 PM

Here's where to watch movies for free this summer in San Antonio

https://www.mysanantonio.com/lifesty...o-17193231.php

Grab a lawn chair and blanket because outdoor movies are back for the summer in San Antonio. Or, you could stay cool inside as Santikos Entertainment is also offering some free movies starting in June.

Yes, the weather lingers in the 90s, but when the skies clear, check out these places below for some movie-going fun.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 5:18 PM

Regal Live Oak theater is set for $1.5M IMAX upgrade

https://www.mysanantonio.com/enterta...o-17209472.php

Regal is continuing upgrades of its San Antonio theaters with plans to convert one of its screens at its Live Oak facility into an IMAX experience. The Tennessee-based theater chain estimates the conversion will cost $1.5 million, according to a recent construction permit filing with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

Regal also filed a permit for $7 million in upgrades at the theater at 7901 Pat Booker Road in April. The previous upgrades called for reclining seats in 15 auditoriums and turning one auditorium into a "4DX" theater, according to that TDLR filing.

In addition, Regal filed a permit for another $7 million worth of upgrades to its 22-year-old Regal Cielo Vista theater near Ingram Park Mall in April. That project includes premium seating for 17 auditoriums. All of these upgrades are slated for completion in mid-2023.

Regal Huebner Oaks was the last theater to receive reclining seat upgrades in 2016.

Upgrades to Regal theaters in San Antonio come at a time where Santikos is expanding into former Alamo Drafthouse locations in the San Antonio-area. Santikos itself has also branched out into the residential market, kicking off a luxury and affordable apartment complex project with local developer Lynd Co.

Another movie theater competitor, EVO, is making a move into the Southside market with plans to convert an old mall into a huge entertainment complex with bowling and bumper cars.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 3:43 PM

Exploring the mystic charms of Southside San Antonio botánica Papa Jim's

https://www.mysanantonio.com/enterta...s-17200836.php

There once was a San Antonio man that claimed mystic knowledge and power. He was an authority on herbs, "the old religions," and all things esoteric. After a stint in the Air Force, he opened up his first botánica shop on NW Military (eventually relocating to S Flores) and became a purveyor of traditional remedies and spiritual goods in 1979.

While not quite the Walter Mercado type, he was eccentric nonetheless. Southsiders know the legendary figure as "Papa Jim," the original owner of Papa Jim's Botanica and the adjacent tropical fish store. More than a decade after his death and locals still turn to the botánica to seek spiritual solutions.

This is a great place. If you have been, you should definitely make a point of going.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 1:51 AM

Two downtown San Antonio hotels in legal battle over damage caused by 'smoke and odors'

The Indigo Hotel has filed suit against the swanky new Thompson San Antonio-Riverwalk.

https://www.sacurrent.com/news/two-d...odors-29031188

Downtown’s Indigo Hotel has sued its nearby — and swanky — neighbor the Thompson San Antonio-Riverwalk, alleging smoke and fumes from the newer property have resulted in more than $1 million in damages.

The complaint, filed last Friday in Bexar County District Court, claims that smoke venting from the Thompson’s kitchen exhaust system blows "directly onto and into the Indigo on a regular basis,” damaging carpet, furniture and fixtures in guest rooms.

The complaint also states that the Thompson's representatives have acknowledged the damage at the Indigo caused by the smoke and suggested solutions. Those include cleaning the scrubber filters in the Thompson’s kitchen exhaust system and using smokeless logs, according to the filing.

Those solutions, however, “provided short-term relief at best and ultimately failed,” the lawsuit states.

“As I tried to make clear in the petition, we have been working with them (the Thompson),” Indigo attorney Clayton Matheson told the Express-News, which first reported on the dispute. “We’re trying to be a good neighbor. I really did not want to file this lawsuit.”

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 2:32 PM
JACKinBeantown

San Antonio photographers, here's a gig on Upwork if you're interested:

"Looking to do a Photoshoot with a San Antonio local who knows where the best spots are."
https://www.upwork.com/nx/find-work/...48743%22%7D%5D

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 6:15 PM

Childhood memories shape Cool Crest, San Antonio's nostalgic mini-golf course

https://www.mysanantonio.com/enterta...o-17215922.php

There's a lot to say about Cool Crest Miniature Golf's legacy, and part of that story is Delaware Punch, a practically discontinued grape soda made with a blood-purple fruit syrup. It’s an ancestral “energy drink” with something like 5,000 calories of sugar. In the 1960s, the retro golf course, situated on a hill that crests level with Fredericksburg Road, didn’t yet have its craft beer garden with its Betty Kolsch and food-truck barbecue, but they did have a soda fountain that mixed Delaware Punch.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio