HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 8:16 PM
Show me the blueprints

Amen

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 12:40 AM

Can a “freeway cap” make East LA's Belvedere Park whole again?

https://www.theeastsiderla.com/real_...71f144460.html

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 12:43 AM

The big ideas for center city’s future — including a cap on 277

https://charlotte.axios.com/283506/t...-citys-future/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 12:45 AM

I loathe driving on this road so much.

How DC Route 295 isolates neighborhoods in Northeast DC from the rest of the city

https://ggwash.org/view/81903/both-r...n-northeast-dc

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 12:47 AM

Delete

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 12:50 AM

World’s Largest Wildlife Crossing Is Finally Under Way in Los Angeles

https://www.curbed.com/2022/01/wildl...s-angeles.html

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 12:51 AM

Proposed state law seeks to ban freeway expansions in underserved communities

https://www.latimes.com/homeless-hou...osed-state-law

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 1:02 AM

Well a couple things...
1) Bit late for that innit?
2) Why only "underserved" communites?
3) Why is LA allowing expanding freeways at all? Unless a current one is in disrepair why are you building more? You already have a ridiculous amount of freeways as is. It's not going to solve any traffic problems, LA's population is big enough that it will saturate this medium of transportation.
What LA needs is a comprehensive public transport system, one that is bigger and better than what they have today. (yes I know they're working on it).
And not just that. Bikes lanes, Walking Paths, just in general making the city easy to get around without a car. But sigh , this LA so that's not likely to happen at all.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
Well a couple things...
1) Bit late for that innit?
2) Why only "underserved" communites?
3) Why is LA allowing expanding freeways at all? Unless a current one is in disrepair why are you building more? You already have a ridiculous amount of freeways as is. It's not going to solve any traffic problems, LA's population is big enough that it will saturate this medium of transportation.
What LA needs is a comprehensive public transport system, one that is bigger and better than what they have today. (yes I know they're working on it).
And not just that. Bikes lanes, Walking Paths, just in general making the city easy to get around without a car. But sigh , this LA so that's not likely to happen at all.
It's all politics. The Left now can only focus on one issue, race. So they only think and plan around that. We're gonna have to wait a decade or so until they calm down and just start caring about creating great cities again.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 2:44 PM
Show me the blueprints

I feel like you need to be a little more hyberbolic.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 7:07 PM

On Being Free of Freeways - Imagining the Twin Cities without I-94

"At the spot depicted, in the middle of Minneapolis’ Seward neighborhood, the freeway boasts 295 feet of right-of-way. That’s 30 percent wider than Paris’ Champs Elysées and four times the width of Chicago’s famous Michigan Avenue. If 94 was turned into a regular surface street, there would be an astounding amount of space for all kinds of other land uses, everything from parking to bocce courts to apartment buildings to bike paths, all while leaving space for a certain amount of traffic to flow."

Article Link: https://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/2...-without-i-94/

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 3:41 AM

I-345 Is Dead, Long Live I-345
https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburne...id-plan-txdot/

Quote:
The Dallas City Council today gave the state of Texas permission to pursue funding to remove and trench I-345, the currently elevated 1.4-mile highway separating downtown and Deep Ellum. The Council’s vote was delivered with the energy of a sigh despite weeks of parliamentary backroom wrangling among some council members who wanted more time to study the plan before approving it.

It was a near impossibility to convince the Texas Department of Transportation to do anything that altered the amount of traffic lanes that slice through Dallas’ urban core. TxDOT owns the 50-year-old highway, not the city of Dallas. It is among the shortest on the national highway network, a stub that connects to Central Expressway, Woodall Rodgers, and interstates 30 and 45. It is, more than anything, a concrete connective tissue that allows freeway traffic to flow in all directions, a traffic engineer’s dream. TxDOT cites traffic counts of 180,000 cars on the roadway per day. Powerful transportation officials don’t seem capable of imagining a world in which the highway doesn’t exist.

There have been grassroots calls for nearly a dozen years to remove I-345 and replace it with a boulevard and a reconfigured system of surface streets that would absorb the traffic. But because of its status—a state-owned thoroughfare on the National Highway Freight Network—the city had no power to pursue something so radical. The most the City Council could do was stall by voting against the resolution, a move that had little support among the 14 council members who were present for Wednesday’s vote. (Mayor Eric Johnson was absent because he was speaking on a panel about sports in Qatar.)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 3:19 AM

Freeway Cap Park Proposed in the Heart of Cleveland

A proposal to cap part of the Innerbelt Freeway east of Downtown Cleveland would require the demolition of a vacant, historic courthouse near the East 22nd Street Bridge.

https://www.planetizen.com/news/2022...eart-cleveland

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 3:25 AM

Why Cincinnati won’t see highway caps on Fort Washington Way, I-75 any time soon

Mayor Aftab Pureval said last year the proposal had the ability to unlock Cincinnati’s “fullest potential.” Chamber CEO Jill Meyer said it would create a one-of-a-kind regional asset that will spur economic development[...]”

“[W]e had a strong application with dozens of letters of support for the project,” the city spokesperson said Monday.

In the end, it didn’t matter, and local leaders are in the dark as to why—whether it was a good application that got lost in a sea of them or, alternatively, whether its promised benefits were mismatched with the program’s stated priorities.

“We look forward to getting input from USDOT on how to improve our application for a future round,” the spokesperson said.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 3:27 AM

Plan to build park on I-95 in Wilmington stalled due to lack of money for almost $400 million project

It's been almost 30 years since the first public proposal to build a park on top of a section of I-95 that runs through the city of Wilmington. Proponents of the idea cited lack of funding as the reason the project never took off. Despite excitement drummed up by elected officials, it appears that more recent efforts have achieved the same result.

Even with political appeals by state and congressional officials to draw federal investment, representatives from the Delaware Department of Transportation and Wilmington said there is still no funding for a much-touted plan to build a roof over the highway with a park on top to reconnect neighborhoods split apart in the 1960s.

The standstill follows a $347,000 feasibility study and more than a year of community stakeholder meetings.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 3:32 AM

The ‘Chinatown Stitch’ looks to rejoin a neighborhood divided by the Vine Street Expressway

In September, the city applied for funding from Reconnecting Communities, specifically from a section called the Neighborhood Access and Equity Grant Program.

The $3.2 billion NAE program targets economically disadvantaged areas like Chinatown to support equity, safety, affordable transportation, and mitigation of environmental impacts.

The federal Department of Transportation could award Philadelphia an NAE grant covering 100% of the project costs or a Reconnecting Communities grant covering 60%, in which case the city would have to get the rest of the money from its budget, the state, or other partners, Puchalsky said.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 3:35 AM

Seattle City Council Supports Lidding I-5 in New Resolution

Cost figures in the report ranged from $966 million for a public park concept to $2.3-$2.5 billion for a high density development scenario. A hybrid option including both development and public open space was projected to cost between $1.3 and $1.5 billion.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 3:39 AM

Building a park over I-277 lingers on Charlotte’s ‘wouldn’t it be nice’ list

While the cap remains in limbo, Smith says they hope to use that idea to reunite highway-divided neighborhoods elsewhere in Charlotte. “Reconnecting these neighborhoods needs to be a priority of ours at all points of 277,” he says.

There’s also the pedestrian Rail Trail bridge to connect South End and Uptown, scheduled to be completed by spring 2023. Now the question is: How nice will it end up being? “Do we have the vision and the courage and the perseverance to make things happen that are beyond the normal baseline solutions? That’s what make cities special,” Furman says.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 3:47 AM

Rochester's $100M Highway Removal Project Aims to Reunite Neighborhoods

Planning to remove the Inner Loop began in the early 1990s. The smaller eastern portion was removed in an earlier $22-million project completed in 2017. Stantec designed that project, and Concrete Applied Technologies Corp. of Alden, N.Y., was the general contractor, records show. Rochester officials say the project opened up nearly 6 acres of land, which drew $400 million in private investment to build housing and other redevelopments.

Hofmann says the Inner Loop East project team had significant community engagement, which helped refine the final design with features like a cycle track, which he hopes to extend with the new project.

“It’s been wonderful from a community standpoint,” he says.

The project would also add green space and create room for new development. Hofmann estimates about 22 acres could be opened up by the project. He anticipates about 8 acres of that area would be dedicated for green space, such as restoring Franklin Square, a park that was cut nearly in half by the Inner Loop’s construction, and adding room for a playground and ball fields at World of Inquiry School, which currently has no green space.

https://www.enr.com/articles/57259-r...-neighborhoods

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 3:52 AM

WisDOT releases redesign, removal concepts for I-794

A traffic analysis found that 68% of the traffic coming from the Hoan Bridge traveled through to the Marquette Interchange and 45% of the traffic from the Marquette Interchange traveled to the Hoan Bridge, meaning the remaining traffic gets off the freeway at some point between those two points, usually at the Lake Interchange.

The proposed project, expected to cost more than $300 million, would rebuild the elevated freeway between North Water Street and the Hoan Bridge, but last year the Rethink 794 coalition called for the agency to study replacing Interstate 794 between North 6th Street and the Hoan Bridge with a boulevard.

Removal of the freeway was included in the draft of Milwaukee’s 2040 Downtown Plan.

https://biztimes.com/wisdot-releases...pts-for-i-794/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development