HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Hudson Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Detroit Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 9:06 PM
Registered Ugly

How is the hotel business fairing these days? I assume there was a major slowdown given Covid-19, but any word on whether things have bounced back? I hope it's doing alright because Detroit has had a major hotel boom lately. I did just see that the Book Cadillac is being sold. Perhaps the Hudson Tower will end up having a larger mix of housing than we previously thought. I wish we had more answers out of Detroit's planning department. I have confidence in this project, but it sure feels strange that they're this far along and we don't have more answers.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
How is the hotel business fairing these days? I assume there was a major slowdown given Covid-19, but any word on whether things have bounced back? I hope it's doing alright because Detroit has had a major hotel boom lately. I did just see that the Book Cadillac is being sold. Perhaps the Hudson Tower will end up having a larger mix of housing than we previously thought. I wish we had more answers out of Detroit's planning department. I have confidence in this project, but it sure feels strange that they're this far along and we don't have more answers.
The 2021 Downtown Detroit Partnership update shows that occupancy rates are increasing this year but are no where near occupancy levels in 2019. The info is on page 9.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 11:55 PM

A couple photos taken today by Scottathew on DetroitYes:

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 12:44 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ it's great seeing that tower core now well above street level in that second shot!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 12:59 AM

Awesome to see!!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Book Cadillac being sold is a good thing, it means outside investors are bullish on the city's hotel market. It was bought by the same investment group who are building the Godfrey hotel in Corktown right now so they're doubling down.

I'd imagine in 2024 (when this will be open for business), the hotel rates would be more then recovered. I had family go on a recent trip and they said DTW was packed with people traveling, as were the other airports.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 4:01 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ cleveland's ferchill rehabbed the book cadilliac -- you're welcome!

ok good updates -- so hudson work is moving along and looking good!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ cleveland's ferchill rehabbed the book cadilliac -- you're welcome!

Yes I know, unfortunate that they're losing it due to the pandemic but the hotel will be better off.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 10:52 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Yes I know, unfortunate that they're losing it due to the pandemic but the hotel will be better off.
they did all the work, but i dont think it was ever done to keep it — regardless, i dont lose any sleep over these developers lol.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 5:28 PM

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 5:49 PM
Registered Ugly

Awesome photos. But they raise so many questions for me not related to the Hudson's site . For starters, the Book Tower isn't done? Also, how long has that parking deck been there across from Compuware (or whatever it's called now)?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 6:00 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^^ outstanding pics, but i'm quite confused.

why is the core for the tower portion continuing to rise?

some of the arm chair experts around here had informed me that only the block portion was under construction and that there was no way that the tower could or would be built at this point in time.

what gives?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 7:06 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^^ outstanding pics, but i'm quite confused.

why is the core for the tower portion continuing to rise?

some of the arm chair experts around here had informed me that only the block portion was under construction and that there was no way that the tower could or would be built at this point in time.

what gives?
If they were smart, they'd come back and admit they were wrong. But we all know that won't happen.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Awesome photos. But they raise so many questions for me not related to the Hudson's site . For starters, the Book Tower isn't done? Also, how long has that parking deck been there across from Compuware (or whatever it's called now)?
According to Emporis, that parking deck was completed in 2006 when there were plans to convert 1001 Woodward into a residential tower. Of course plans for that fell through once the market crashed in '07-'08.

Also, there's apparently one year left for the Book Tower for most everything. There's a lot of ornate features being preserved/recreated it would seem.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 12:42 AM

Great photos! Love to watch this one rise.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 12:46 AM

Also you can see part of the Hudson Tower and the cranes in the link provided from animatedmartian (https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...-book-building).

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 1:35 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

The 2nd floor height on the Block building is pretty damn tall. Is that planned for movie theater use, or just retail? Looks like 20 feet, easily.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
The 2nd floor height on the Block building is pretty damn tall. Is that planned for movie theater use, or just retail? Looks like 20 feet, easily.
It's convention/concert space.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 1:48 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Ah, makes perfect sense now.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 5:58 PM
Registered Ugly

An extremely misleading article with no real new information. The project has been scaled back for a long time and it’s like Metro Times just found out and wanted to sell some Christmas ads.

Quote:

Detroit’s ‘skyscraper curse,’ Black student files lawsuit against school, and more news you may have missed
Nov 24, 2021 at 12:00 PM

• Steve Neavling • Dan Gilbert's Hudson's site project pictured earlier this year.
Source: https://m.metrotimes.com/detroit/icy...t?oid=28588318

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction