HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C CHI>LA View Post
in photos, on this site, just noticed a similar scalloped glass curtain wall at the base of adrian smith / gordon gill's (under construction) central park tower in nyc.
That glass on the NY Nordstrom is damn sexy.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 3:26 AM

So when are we looking at a realistic start date on this tower???

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 1:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is exciting. Will mark a historical period in the skyline. A 2nd to the throne in a city full of skyscrapers and super talls is by no mean just an average moment. Good to be amidst a generation that will witness its rise.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:10 AM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwayze1994 View Post
My thoughts as well, so many tall proposals, I want to see some action!

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:00 AM

wrong thread

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:58 AM

I hear SOAR sent a letter of support for this proposal.

Also heard they'd like to go to plan commission in June or July.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:32 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I remember a time when here when most of us didn't like SOAR. Now I (and others) think they are about the dopest community group perhaps in the country. They don't bat 1000 but they are generally in on the good fight of good planning and design.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:49 AM

I think SOAR has had a reputation for being pretty reasonable and requesting improvements to designs, not crying about height or shadows or other BS. They supported the Spire, they supported the failed W/A tower. Not surprising they are supporting other tall towers.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwayze1994 View Post
More specifically, who starts marketing first... Tribune, One Chicago Square or 400 N LSD?

Because that’s a lot of super-premium condo units to be offered at one time...
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:52 PM

^ Well, considering OCS is supposed to start construction by the end of this year, I would say OSC. Besides, they only have about 70 or 80 something condos to sell so they might not do any marking and just build on spec like OBP. Lastly, Tribune addition and 400 LSD are still in the early planning stages - haven't even been approved yet so the question is between those two. They both have a projected late 2019 start date.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:44 PM
TL;DR

^ Also JDL just hit a slam dunk with No. 9 Walton, so they likely have a better sense of the top-end condo market and a long list of prospective buyers already. Plus, as noted, they only have 80 units to sell at One Chicago Square.

TBH I would give 400LSD the advantage over Tribune also. Neither of the two buildings is in a great location for job access, but for pied-a-terre buyers it doesn’t matter. Tribune has more amenities nearby but 400LSD sits in a quiet, secluded area and will basically have its own park. Overall, I give 400LSD the edge because of guaranteed views, but I do think the condos in the historic Tribune Tower will also sell well, that’s a very unique building with a storied past.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 9:42 PM
1st Ward

^ The Tribune Tower Addition's location right on Michigan Ave will probably be its key selling point. I imagine this will sell more units to out of town/country investors simply because of this fact. I'm sure the marketing team is banking on this as well.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 5:45 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
^ The Tribune Tower Addition's location right on Michigan Ave will probably be its key selling point. I imagine this will sell more units to out of town/country investors simply because of this fact. I'm sure the marketing team is banking on this as well.
The Michigan Ave location didn’t help the Ritz-Carlton Residences. Admittedly, that delivered during the recession but your foreign investors were still buying things in coastal cities at the time.

Like it or not, I think most condo sales in Chicago, even at these stratospheric
price points, are driven by local buyers who will look past the Michigan Avenue name and focus on fundamentals of value.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Also JDL just hit a slam dunk with No. 9 Walton, so they likely have a better sense of the top-end condo market and a long list of prospective buyers already. Plus, as noted, they only have 80 units to sell at One Chicago Square.

TBH I would give 400LSD the advantage over Tribune also. Neither of the two buildings is in a great location for job access, but for pied-a-terre buyers it doesn’t matter. Tribune has more amenities nearby but 400LSD sits in a quiet, secluded area and will basically have its own park. Overall, I give 400LSD the edge because of guaranteed views, but I do think the condos in the historic Tribune Tower will also sell well, that’s a very unique building with a storied past.
Just as many buyers will prefer proximity to the lake as proximity to Michigan Avenue. What's more, the terrace units will probably sell quickly, even at very high prices (my bet will be 3M+ to 8 digit list prices). What's more, at nearly 1400 ft, I'm gonna presume the Tribune building will cost more to construct than at least the taller 400 LSD building. And finally, I didn't notice much in the way of balconies for the Tribune addition (small ones?). That will put it at a disadvantage. Some >1000 ft tower will eventually be built at that site, but I'd bet next cycle.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 8:31 AM

^ Do either 400 N LSD or OCS have balconies?

I didn’t think so. And architecturally, except in very rare cases (Marina City, Aqua), balconies are a disaster.

There’s always the tiny chance that Chicago lands Amazon, and then I think all of these are getting built during this cycle.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I think it's pretty obvious from the 400 N LSD video that it will have some "balconies."

Quote:
There’s always the tiny chance that Chicago lands Amazon, and then I think all of these are getting built during this cycle.
It's more than just a tiny chance right now, especially with cities like Atlanta politically shooting themselves in the foot semi recently.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:23 PM

Quote:

I didn’t think so. And architecturally, except in very rare cases (Marina City, Aqua), balconies are a disaster.

The shorter tower on OCS will have balconies.

Aso for 400 N. LSD, it appears there are some balconies on the south face of the south tower.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 4:25 PM

I would love to know the difference in price for the condos with setback balconies vs. not having one on 400 lsd.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 6:29 PM

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:

Aren’t balconies in Chicago notorious for accumulating bugs (particularly spiders) during the summer months as well?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals