HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 5:23 PM

This one guy streams landings and takeoffs at O'Hare every Tuesday and Thursday, it's strangely mesmerizing to watch. He must have some special permission to be so close to the action. Usually has a few thousand viewers... thought I'd share here-

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtN...efhdU5N0mFUU8g

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
This one guy streams landings and takeoffs at O'Hare every Tuesday and Thursday, it's strangely mesmerizing to watch. He must have some special permission to be so close to the action. Usually has a few thousand viewers... thought I'd share here-

Yeah. . . this is the weirdest thing I find myself watching on YouTube. . . just hours of ORD traffic. . . it is mesmerizing. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 7:56 PM

Quote:

I think he takes that by South cargo with a real long lens. You get a great view of 28R/10L and 28C/10C from that area. That looks like it's almost at Irving part road by that construction parking area. So way far west atleast on the July 28th footage. Amazing how many upgrades Delta has to 757's lately. Domestic pax loads have been crazy for everyone!!

Last edited by F1 Tommy; Jul 30, 2021 at 8:33 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 11:58 AM

A surprising good news story at O'Hare

Quote:
Despite concerns that COVID might have blown the massive construction project there off course, there are solid signs that it's on track after all.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...ws-story-ohare

Paywall behind this article for me, but if anyone can read it, what does it say about the project?

I'm also confused how it could be on schedule if the Terminal 5 expansion is already opening a year late. And we still don't have any news on what the satellite concourses are going to look like, which were originally stated to break ground in 2022.

Also, I've seen TheCuriousSpotter's livestreams at O'Hare! They are pretty good!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 2:27 PM

The article says that the 10 new gates at T5 will open in late 2022 or early 2023. Then the C concourse expansion will begin. Afterwards they'll start construction on the next satellite concourse at T1. When those projects are complete, T2 will be demolished and replaced with the new global terminal. Design is 10% complete and the project is still anticipated to wrap up in 2028.

The article also says the ATS might open this fall.

Jamie Rhee, the aviation commissioner, says that covid actually allowed work to be completed quicker and that United and Southwest's expansions are proof that the demand and revenue will follow to allow the project to be completed.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 12:26 PM

Chicago’s Airports Recognized As Travelers’ Favorites By Global Traveler Magazine

Quote:
O’Hare International Airport Named Favorite Airport in North America, Favorite Airport Dining and Favorite Airport Shopping; Midway International Airport Declared Best Family-Friendly Domestic Airport
CDA Media Relations 773.686.3700 | cdamedia@cityofchicago.org

CHICAGO – The Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) proudly announces that O’Hare International Airport was named "Favorite Airport in North America” for the second consecutive year by Global Traveler Magazine’s Trazee Awards. Global Traveler, a travel and lifestyle magazine for international business travelers, revealed the good news in its August issue.

O’Hare was also honored with Trazee Awards for “Favorite Airport Shopping,” and “Favorite Airport Dining” for the second consecutive year. Midway International Airport is also a winner, bringing home the “Best Family-Friendly Domestic Airport” award by Global Traveler’s family-friendly WhereverFamily’s Wherever Awards. 

"On behalf of Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, we are honored that O'Hare and Midway International Airports were once again recognized by Global Traveler's readers," said CDA Commissioner Jamie L. Rhee. "At both O’Hare and Midway, we are improving the traveler experience everyday with world-class dining, shopping, passenger amenities and family-friendly facilities. We continue to make critical investments in the future of both airports.”

Despite the substantial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the travel industry, Chicago’s airports have remained resilient, and the number of domestic destinations served from Chicago is now at the same level as it was pre-COVID. Chicago remains a key hub for 3 of the 4 largest U.S. carriers: United Airlines, American Airlines and Southwest Airlines. Two additional carriers have even been added - Allegiant at Midway and Southwest at O'Hare.

Recent developments at O’Hare International Airport include the near completion of the O’Hare Modernization Program (OMP) - the 16 year, $6 billion investment to reconfigure and modernize the airfield. The project has already reduced system impact delays by 64 percent. O’Hare 21 development continues with the extension of the Terminal 5 concourse and the design of upcoming additional terminals.

The Midway Modernization Program (MMP) is elevating the passenger experience at Midway International Airport. The new security screening checkpoint has doubled capacity and reduced congestion, and the concession program has added new automated, low-touch options, including the new Hudson Nonstop using Amazon’s Just Walk Out technology.

"Congratulations to Chicago O’Hare International Airport and Midway International Airport for winning ‘Favorite Airport’ in The Trazees and taking a Wherever Award in the 2021 voting," said Francis X. Gallagher, publisher and CEO, FXExpress Publications, Inc. "These awards are for multiple years, which shows great stability. It is a testament to the fine service and concessions at both Chicago-area airports. I look forward to my next trip to the city, when I can once again experience the award-winning airports."

Global Traveler’s Trazee Awards celebrate the best in the travel industry determined by travelers ages 25–40. Winners are named based on the results of an open-ended reader survey from an online ballot which runs on trazeetravel.com. Millennial travelers vote for their favorites in a range of categories, from airlines and airports to hotels and destinations.

A web-based publication written for modern traveling families. Global Traveler’s whereverfamily.com delivers fresh content on a range of family travel topics, including cruising, destinations and important tips across all budgets and age groups, crafted by a network of family travel experts. WhereverFamily’s Wherever Awards are named based on the results of an open-ended reader survey.
https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...st/832021.html

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
Chicago’s Airports Recognized As Travelers’ Favorites By Global Traveler Magazine

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...st/832021.html
Sure it is...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 3:28 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Sure it is...
Yeah, I find that hard to believe though I guess most large American airports suck. At least O'Hare has Frontera!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Yeah, I find that hard to believe though I guess most large American airports suck. At least O'Hare has Frontera!
Yes, all our big airports suck in their own particular ways (concessions, ground transportation access, seating, amenities, connections, etc). I think that overall the judgment that ORD sucks the least is probably correct at this point.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Yes, all our big airports suck in their own particular ways (concessions, ground transportation access, seating, amenities, connections, etc). I think that overall the judgment that ORD sucks the least is probably correct at this point.
I wonder if transportation access to downtown helped propel O'hare to the top. Ive been to most major airports in the country and their transportation to their city downtowns mostly suck in comparison.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 5:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

The runway realignment has also had a major impact on decreasing delays. ORD now has more parallel runways than it knows what to do with; the main choke point is now terminal/gate space.

Rember the bad old day when sitting in your plane on the tarmac in lines 20, even 30, planes long just to take off was the norm at peak times? Now, if you happen to land a bit early, you sit in the plane on the tarmac waiting for a gate to open.

It went from being runway-restricted to now being terminal-restricted.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 2, 2021 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
The runway realignment has also had a major impact on decreasing delays. ORD now has more parallel runways than it knows what to do with; the main choke point is now terminal/gate space.

Rember the bad old day when sitting in your plane on the tarmac in lines 20, even 30, planes long just to take off was the norm at peak times? Now, if you happen to land a bit early, you sit in the plane on the tarmac waiting for a gate to open.

It went from being runway-restricted to now being terminal-restricted.
Right most people's negative perceptions of ORD resulted from the notorious tendency for airfield delays. Perceptions which are now out of date.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 12:30 AM

I'm an O'Hare booster as much as anyone but the terminal interiors (including the restaurants and shopping) are all terrible, even by US standards. Terminal C at Newark has the best dining and as far as shopping, well, I don't ever actually shop at an airport but just from appearances JFK terminal 4 is lightyears ahead of anything O'Hare has.

The interiors of O'Hare are dated and boy do they look it.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 1:34 PM

Quote:
I'm an O'Hare booster as much as anyone but the terminal interiors (including the restaurants and shopping) are all terrible, even by US standards. Terminal C at Newark has the best dining and as far as shopping, well, I don't ever actually shop at an airport but just from appearances JFK terminal 4 is lightyears ahead of anything O'Hare has.

I was just in JFK T4 and yeah it's good, though it is also substantially newer than comparable terminals at ORD. What is interesting is how much better it is than T8 which is just about the same age but is dingier, darker, and has worse/more sparse concessions by a wide margin.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 3:03 PM

Quote:

As someone who just spent a large amount of time in T5 flying to London this week, man does T5 need a boost on the restaurant/shopping side. It's by far the worst terminal in my opinion.

I am assuming that will all change when the addition is fixed, but damn does it suck right now.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 12:32 AM

I definitely agree that O'Hare right now is far from the best, but it's also far from the worst imo. The only really bad terminal at ORD is Terminal 2 and that is getting demolished and replaced by the Global Terminal. Terminal 5 definitely doesn't compare to intl terminals at even SFO, LAX, DFW, JFK, etc, but I think the Global Terminal will fix that and is one of the best looking terminals no matter which design they go for out of the 5. In fact, I think the Global Terminal project is the only US airport project that looks comparable to the nice airports in East Asia and the Middle East. Where O'Hare really wins is flight options. Many airlines have hubs/focus cities here with plenty of flights and pre-covid was the only airport in the country where you could fly nonstop to all 6 continents (excluding Antartica obviously). You simply will never get that at your small "nice" airport.

If you want to talk about bad airports, my local major airport (Philadelphia since there is no major airport in Wilmington, DE) is miles worse than O'Hare. All the terminals (except for A West) are old, dirty, dated and just miserable places to be. Congestion is also bad here, and the only airline to have decent presence here is American Airlines (which is bad). Plus it's usually much cheaper to drive 1-3 hours to Baltimore, NYC or DC and fly out of those airports.

Last edited by jonesrmj; Sep 5, 2021 at 1:24 AM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 1:06 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
fly nonstop to all 7 continents.
Sadly (for me and my fellow Chicago-based Polar researchers), O'Hare does not have direct flights to Antarctica. However, the direct flights to Auckland make going to Antarctica much less painful than it used to be. But once ANZ flights resume (now planned for January) it'll be back to 6 continents.

Quote:
If you want to talk about bad airports, my local major airport (Philadelphia since there is no major airport in Wilmington, DE) is miles worse than O'Hare.
Ironically, Delaware is the only state you can't fly to from O'Hare (ok, Wyoming is only flyable direct seasonally).

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Sadly (for me and my fellow Chicago-based Polar researchers), O'Hare does not have direct flights to Antarctica. However, the direct flights to Auckland make going to Antarctica much less painful than it used to be. But once ANZ flights resume (now planned for January) it'll be back to 6 continents.
That's what I meant, 6 continents (except Antartica obviously)

Quote:
Ironically, Delaware is the only state you can't fly to from O'Hare (ok, Wyoming is only flyable direct seasonally).
That's cause our only commercial Airport (Wilmington Airport) only has 3 flights a week to Orlando on Frontier and that's it. Delaware used to be the only state in the country without commercial service until Frontier returned this year. Our proximity to PHL, BWI, DCA, IAD, JFK, EWR, and LGA hurts us. You used to be able to fly nonstop from Chicago to Wilmington from 2013-2015.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 5:05 PM

Finnair Set To Fly To Chicago All Year

“Finnair is set to operate year-round flights on its route to Chicago. The airline typically only operates the route in the summer season, though it will now also operate during the winter season.”

https://simpleflying.com/finnair-sto...north-america/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 4:23 PM

Another European cargo airline started service from Amsterdam via London Stansted to only one city in North America, Chicago ORD with A330-343 cargo aircraft. Geodis Air Network.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-eods

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation