HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 7:00 PM

Because "there isn't enough parking" really just means "there isn't free parking 6' from the door of where I'm going.

I don't think not wanting this arena in the middle of downtown is necessarily anti-urban. I think if people really believed it was going on the east side of downtown, reception might be different. But this is Regina where we quickly take down buildings instead of building on under-used empty lots.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Because "there isn't enough parking" really just means "there isn't free parking 6' from the door of where I'm going.

I don't think not wanting this arena in the middle of downtown is necessarily anti-urban. I think if people really believed it was going on the east side of downtown, reception might be different. But this is Regina where we quickly take down buildings instead of building on under-used empty lots.
Agreed 100%. Like others, I'm very skeptical that arenas truly are any kind of revitalization catalysts. But if it were to fill in a gaping hole on Broad without displacing anything else further, I can't see it as anything but a positive.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 8:28 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
Agreed 100%. Like others, I'm very skeptical that arenas truly are any kind of revitalization catalysts. But if it were to fill in a gaping hole on Broad without displacing anything else further, I can't see it as anything but a positive.
This Committee is making their job more difficult by selecting a block that has valuable heritage buildings. If they selected a block on Rose/Broad, I'm sure they would have a much easier time getting buy-in.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 9:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
This Committee is making their job more difficult by selecting a block that has valuable heritage buildings. If they selected a block on Rose/Broad, I'm sure they would have a much easier time getting buy-in.
Maybe its a red herring thrown in to make the Broad St site more palatable

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 10:17 PM

Now that I look more closely, I think they could preserve the 2 heritage buildings on 12th and may be able to fit an arena to the north. They may not be able to save this former school board building though:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.44927...=en&authuser=0

I assume this is a heritage building.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 10:38 PM

I think it's really hard to sell anyone when you won't answer questions and be transparent about what's really going on. Just tell us what the sites are; I'm pretty sure the landowner is probably on the Cat Committee anyway so that whole oh, the price will go up is just garbage. They aren't this far in without the landowner being aware their land is a possibility. I think Hawkins sounded pretty defensive today during the Q&A when questioned by Trish Elliot (Cathedral Community Assoc) about the city's priorities.

PDCity Hall has a pretty good thread on it:
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23yqrc...d_query&f=live

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 3:30 PM

Does anyone else think $173 million for an aquatics centre is... absolutely insane? It will also lose $5.3 million per year on operations according to the study so add at least another $100 million to that in present value.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Does anyone else think $173 million for an aquatics centre is... absolutely insane? It will also lose $5.3 million per year on operations according to the study so add at least another $100 million to that in present value.
Maybe because of the 2 competitive swimming pools PLUS the water park side?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 6:40 PM

---

Last edited by jigglysquishy; Jun 29, 2023 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 8:21 PM

I think tearing down a bunch of heritage buildings makes no sense.

Broad Street is ugly and in desperate need of new development. Have the west side be the arena and the east side be a strip of restaurants.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 8:23 PM

It wouldn't take much. No one would be expecting Times Square to materialize along Broad. Just a nice row of low-rise, one to three storey commercial buildings, restaurants, etc. near the arena would be fine.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 8:48 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It wouldn't take much. No one would be expecting Times Square to materialize along Broad. Just a nice row of low-rise, one to three storey commercial buildings, restaurants, etc. near the arena would be fine.
There's no demand for it. Regina has so much unused commercial space and they keep building more on the periphery. If Regina were 450,000 people it might spur some development. Right now I don't think the economics are there to support anything outside of maybe a Tims next door.

Broad Street makes the most sense to me. Railyards is my second choice. I am saying the Railyards just because I don't ever really see any meaningful connection to the core from it and I don't see any demand to actually use the space. Build a couple of nice pedestrian bridges across to the arena and there's some synergy with the hotel and mall for events. Maybe spur a bit of development in the future around it, but right now that land is going to sit for I would guess at least fifteen years.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 9:25 PM

Some of the renders of the Aquatics Facility were lifted from the new facility in New Westminster. I assume with permission.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/new-...ool-centennial

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 9:29 PM

Is there plans for the worlds largest humptys with the new arena development?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 9:33 PM

I think the baseball stadium plans are even more bonkers than the Aquatics Centre. $25 million for a summer collegiate baseball league team? Do people even know their season is only 2.5 months long? This is not even a single A league. If this went on prime land at the Yards, it would be a terrible waste.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 9:51 PM

Quote:
I think the baseball stadium plans are even more bonkers than the Aquatics Centre. $25 million for a summer collegiate baseball league team? Do people even know their season is only 2.5 months long? This is not even a single A league. If this went on prime land at the Yards, it would be a terrible waste.
Agreed. That land presents a rare opportunity. I don't see developers lining up to build residential on the Taylor Field site so the aquatics/ball diamond/ soccer field should be built there , if anywhere.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I am totally with you here Storm. Complete waste of money. And the city has been going Hard on this since the new mayor was elected. Not sure why either.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 3:46 AM
Canadian Urbanite

My list of preferred locations for each facility based off of existing conditions of the site, ability to accommodate the facility of its size, and potential to "catalyze" development or complement existing uses

Arena:
1) 1800 Block of Rose or 1800 Block of Broad
2) The Yards

Library:
1) Existing site but incorporating the existing building into the design (or at the very least, maintaining the northeast corner/façade of the building)

Aquatics centre:
1) Next to the Lawson, incorporating the Lawson into the design (if financially feasible and if there is an expected programming need for the old and the new)

Ballpark:
1) REAL grounds west of Confederation park, and seating oriented to allow views opening up towards the downtown
2) If the City has landholdings elsewhere in the interior of the Warehouse District (i.e., North of Dewdney) work with the proponents on this. An urban ballpark would be great, but a venue used this infrequently should not be pitched as a catalyst and great land opportunities shouldn't be squandered (i.e., No to The Yards).

Soccer stadium:
It's still vague/unclear if this and the ballpark are to be combined, but if it's to be it's own facility
1) REAL next to existing indoor soccer pitches
2) Same as above. An "urban" venue would be great, but this and the ballpark should not occupy lands that have great potential (i.e., The Yards) but some sort of secondary site within the Warehouse District would be neat during the summer.

Also, outside of the library and aquatics centre, the City should limit any public $ it contributes. I believe the City's support on these projects should be limited to providing land.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Ballpark:
1) REAL grounds west of Confederation park, and seating oriented to allow views opening up towards the downtown
2) If the City has landholdings elsewhere in the interior of the Warehouse District (i.e., North of Dewdney) work with the proponents on this. An urban ballpark would be great, but a venue used this infrequently should not be pitched as a catalyst and great land opportunities shouldn't be squandered (i.e., No to The Yards).
Totally agree. A baseball park might help lift the surrounding area, but it would take more than 1,000 fans coming for a two and a half month long season. For a pro team like a AA or AAA team playing a full-length season and drawing larger crowds it would make sense. But not for something like the WCBL.

Putting this type of venue in a downtown or near-downtown setting like The Yards would be a waste of space, IMO. This kind of thing would be a perfect use for the Taylor Field site, close enough to be convenient and central but not creating a dead zone on the edge of downtown 95% of the time.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 4:17 PM

Quote:
My list of preferred locations for each facility based off of existing conditions of the site, ability to accommodate the facility of its size, and potential to "catalyze" development or complement existing uses

Arena:
1) 1800 Block of Rose or 1800 Block of Broad
2) The Yards

Library:
1) Existing site but incorporating the existing building into the design (or at the very least, maintaining the northeast corner/façade of the building)

Aquatics centre:
1) Next to the Lawson, incorporating the Lawson into the design (if financially feasible and if there is an expected programming need for the old and the new)

Ballpark:

Soccer stadium:
It's still vague/unclear if this and the ballpark are to be combined, but if it's to be it's own facility
1) REAL next to existing indoor soccer pitches
2) Same as above. An "urban" venue would be great, but this and the ballpark should not occupy lands that have great potential (i.e., The Yards) but some sort of secondary site within the Warehouse District would be neat during the summer.

Also, outside of the library and aquatics centre, the City should limit any public $ it contributes. I believe the City's support on these projects should be limited to providing land.
I think this sums up my opinion completely, CCF! The only thing that I'm wondering about is the ball park and soccer field. They somehow think this can be combined. I can't picture how this would look. However, I'm concerned this will end up in The Yards. With the amount of land it will gobble up including parking, it will just be a frozen wasteland for a big chunk of the year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan