HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 5:54 PM

Speaking of ugly and muppets, our experimental attempts at Cookie Monster and apparently a new character we just created. Practicing before daughter's birthday party in April, which will have Elmo and Oscar cupcakes in addition to Cookie Monster. Yeah, trying to replicate fur instead of using sprinkles makes him look like a homeless crackhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
He could be a muppet. Which muppet though? Herry Monster? Grover? Elno? Oscar? Dr. Teeth?

Look at this Photograph!!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 8:28 PM

Quote:
He could be a muppet. Which muppet though? Herry Monster? Grover? Elno? Oscar? Dr. Teeth?
He's certainly a muppet in the British sense of the word.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 4:20 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I think there's also some benefit to being born later in the sense that you have this expanded range of music that hits home for you. Being born in the 90s means that I enjoy some of the "less refined" stuff from my youth like all of the aforementioned, hell even something like 50 cent reminds me of being in the guys changeroom after gym class in 7th grade. At the same time classic rock is still my favourite genre and I got to go back and discover all that stuff with my parents and through the adventures of Limewire and whatnot back in the day. If you're born in the 70s and 80's then your cutoff for mainstream music that you enjoy ends much earlier, and your musical universe is probably more static.

I'm sure it will be the exact same thing for me with whatever the biggest hits are in 2030, but each generation gets the benefit of going back and having this ever growing repository of music that they can pick their favourites out of, while still enjoying whatever is hot in the moment.
Early 50s in age. I find I appreciate much, much more than I did being in high school during the latter half of the 1980s. And my tastes continue to expand.

While I still have a soft spot for New Wave, I like much more of the hard rock (now "classic rock") of that era, and I'm more fond of the 1960s and '70s music than I was even up to my late 20s. I've got less patience to listen to the newer pop, but do find the occasional surprise. I love a lot of classical music too... some has been gestating in my brain since watching Looney Tunes cartoons as a kid, but I've gone way beyond what was used in those sound tracks.

A few years ago I got rid of a HUGE compact disc collection, which had largely replaced a huge tape collection I had. I had a few record albums, but lived through the tail end of that era and never got back on the bandwagon as LPs had a resurrection. I would probably choke at the amount of money I spent on music between the early 1980s and mid-2010s. I have had a Spotify account for several years now that I use for just about everything I need at home and in the car. I'll go on 80s binges, then switch to 70s soft rock, or look for playlists by Johnny Cash, or Stan Ridgway, or Gordon Lightfoot, or any number of others (e.g., I was never an Elvis fan, but after seeing the recent film I'll give him a listen!)

I can't even say who my favourite band is these days. The Police were top of the list for a long time, and they're still up there. Rush. U2. Genesis. The Beatles. Soundgarden. The Rolling Stones. AC/DC. Level 42. Stone Temple Pilots. And so many more...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 4:22 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
He's certainly a muppet in the British sense of the word.
Lol. I have no idea what the Brits meant by it. Please explain.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 5:12 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Speaking of ugly and muppets, our experimental attempts at Cookie Monster and apparently a new character we just created. Practicing before daughter's birthday party in April, which will have Elmo and Oscar cupcakes in addition to Cookie Monster. Yeah, trying to replicate fur instead of using sprinkles makes him look like a homeless crackhead.

Those are awesome. Well done!

Cookie Monster has always been a favourite Muppet. The Swedish Chef. Beaker. Gonzo. Dr. Teeth. Like favourite bands, it's hard to choose and it varies day by day!

As I've aged I've come to put these cranky buggers on that list too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statle...om_the_Balcony

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Lol. I have no idea what the Brits meant by it. Please explain.
An idiot, a moron, a fool. The Brits have some amusing slang words.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 10:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Early 50s in age. I find I appreciate much, much more than I did being in high school during the latter half of the 1980s. And my tastes continue to expand.

While I still have a soft spot for New Wave, I like much more of the hard rock (now "classic rock") of that era, and I'm more fond of the 1960s and '70s music than I was even up to my late 20s. I've got less patience to listen to the newer pop, but do find the occasional surprise. I love a lot of classical music too... some has been gestating in my brain since watching Looney Tunes cartoons as a kid, but I've gone way beyond what was used in those sound tracks.

A few years ago I got rid of a HUGE compact disc collection, which had largely replaced a huge tape collection I had. I had a few record albums, but lived through the tail end of that era and never got back on the bandwagon as LPs had a resurrection. I would probably choke at the amount of money I spent on music between the early 1980s and mid-2010s. I have had a Spotify account for several years now that I use for just about everything I need at home and in the car. I'll go on 80s binges, then switch to 70s soft rock, or look for playlists by Johnny Cash, or Stan Ridgway, or Gordon Lightfoot, or any number of others (e.g., I was never an Elvis fan, but after seeing the recent film I'll give him a listen!)

I can't even say who my favourite band is these days. The Police were top of the list for a long time, and they're still up there. Rush. U2. Genesis. The Beatles. Soundgarden. The Rolling Stones. AC/DC. Level 42. Stone Temple Pilots. And so many more...
I reckon we may have a lot of overlap in our CD collections (well, to your former CD collection). My wife has been bugging me for years to divest of it, but I won't, dammit! I still have about a thousand LPs, maybe 300 cassettes, something approaching a thousand CDs, and even a forgotten box of 45s. I trashed my 8-tracks one drunken evening way back in my early 20s (I'm 53 now). I've always enjoyed a wide variety of music.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 10:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Those are awesome. Well done!

Cookie Monster has always been a favourite Muppet. The Swedish Chef. Beaker. Gonzo. Dr. Teeth. Like favourite bands, it's hard to choose and it varies day by day!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statle...om_the_Balcony
I love Cookie Monster. And Grover. And Statler and Waldorf. Swedish Chef still cracks me up.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 11:18 PM

Thanks. Had to watch a couple of YT videos for the ideas on what to use. Looks like sprinkles will be better but if any of the real young kids on the street come over for the party, they might not be allowed sprinkles so gotta do both. Will be doing Elmo and Osacar as well.

Going to get an Elmo face cake from Fortinos for $30, but that's for when family comes over. Doing cupcakes when local kids come over. Fortinos also can do 6 characters cupcakes, but that's 17 bucks. I want 18 so just need to get 4 icing tubes for $3 each, some cake mix, sprinkles and a couple other things. Also renting an Elmo mascot to put on and surprise the daughters and other kids.

Growing up I didn't have a favourite Sesame character, but always having it on in the background now you realize how funny Grover and Cookie Monster are. Great writing.

And there's a couple of big tunes that are seriously catchy. Plus lots of musical guests.

The best one. With ensemble cast starting at 1:23:
Video Link

[QUOTE=ScreamingViking;9857349]Those are awesome. Well done!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 5:35 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
An idiot, a moron, a fool. The Brits have some amusing slang words.

They do. I kind of wish more of them had been adopted here.

Boris Johnson. Muppet.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 5:38 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
you realize how funny Grover and Cookie Monster are.
They appealed to kids and adults alike. Well, adults like me. lol
(did Grover drop an S-bomb at about 1:05? )

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 5:45 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I reckon we may have a lot of overlap in our CD collections (well, to your former CD collection). My wife has been bugging me for years to divest of it, but I won't, dammit! I still have about a thousand LPs, maybe 300 cassettes, something approaching a thousand CDs, and even a forgotten box of 45s. I trashed my 8-tracks one drunken evening way back in my early 20s (I'm 53 now). I've always enjoyed a wide variety of music.
The decisions of the drunken evenings often have repercussions we don't see clearly in the moment!

But I agree. Similar experiences, probably the same across a number of forum contributors.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 1:31 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Speaking of Muppets, this Sesame Street skit is still hilarious.
Video Link

2:29 Bert Freaks out (so funny).

I also love the Grover 'near and far' skit.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 1:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

They do. I kind of wish more of them had been adopted here.

Boris Johnson. Muppet.
Video Link

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 3:48 PM
Ham-burgher

Ernie is so innocent, but in real life I'd want to throttle him.

No wonder Bert went "evil". Lack of sleep is especially impactful.

Quote:
Speaking of Muppets, this Sesame Street skit is still hilarious.
Video Link

2:29 Bert Freaks out (so funny).

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 4:08 PM

My personal favourite, to this day. Cookie knows Italian.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 10:51 PM
Fake News

Did Scheer qualify as a muppet?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 11:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

ctv

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 4:15 AM

I don't know which is worse, Harper or that brand of coffee!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 5:09 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Love that

It does taste good, though! Not the fish - greasy AF and the batter is the kind that's soggy and white on the inside.

But fries, dressing and gravy is good everywhere here. It also tastes more or less the same everywhere. It's really only when people are using, like, store-bought "stuffing" or the wrong gravy that it tastes wrong. I'd go to Duke if you want basic battered fish, but actually good and not too greasy:

WTF is this blasphemy? (sorry, late to the party).

Blasphemer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada